Contributed by klstacy_home
Description: End of EconomyDate: April 5 1905
Newspaper published in: Sumter, SC
Page/Column: Page 7, Column 5
End of Economy
By a decision handed down by Judge J. Sharp Wilson of Beaver County, Pa., the old town of Economy along the Ohio River for almost a century, one of the landmarks in this section, ceases to exist, and merges its identity with that of the new town of Ambridge, which, by the ruling, is incorporated into a borough.
The formation of the Borough of Ambridge, says the Pittsburgh Dispatch, is the result of several attempts to form Economy and the town of Ambridge separately into boroughs, and which was opposed during the, past two years by the American Bridge Co., which had erected great works near Ambridge. Efforts were made to incorporate Ambridge, leaving out the works of the American Bridge Co., but the movement met with opposition and failed. The company then started a movement to incorporate both towns as one, and met opposition in the relatives of John S. Duss, the bandmaster, and trustee of the Economite Society. The company overcame this opposition, and secured the ruling which allows the works to remain outside the limits of the new borough, which will have a population of 5,000.
With but four of their former number of several hundred thrifty pioneers remaining the Economies fought sturdily against the abolition of their town. The place is full of memories of former days when the society was numerous and strongly entrenched.
Founded by George Rapp, in Wurtemberg, Germany, the Economites came to America in 1803, settling in Harmony, Butler County, but removing to New Harmony, Ind. in 1815. The settlers became dissatisfied with the new location and returned to the banks of the Ohio, where they formed
Economy Township and started the town of Economy. Of a thrifty nature their material prosperity grew apace, and they have been considered one of the wealthiest sects in this country.
The customs of the society were not favorable to increasing numbers. New members were never received into the fold, and the opposition to marriage relations brought the organization to a standstill in membership.
With the death of Senior Trustee Jacob Henrici, about 12 years ago, there was left remaining but a half dozen members of these quiet living folk, with John S. Duss, senior trustee. Recognizing the inevitable extinction of the society, Trustee Duss promptly accepted an offer of $8,000,000 for the property and transferred the title to the greater portion of the old town to Pittsburgh capitalists.