Contributed by Gigimo
Description: Hillsborough Military Academy.Date: April 8 1861
Newspaper published in: Fayetteville, NC
We are gratified to learn that the Institution is in a very flourishing condition; the number of Cadets, new and old, entered from the 6th of February to the 1st of April being 121.
Through the energy of the enterprising Superintendent, handsome and extensive buildings have been erected, arranged with special reference to the necessities and conveniences of a Military Academy. The main building is of brick, 215 feet long and three stories high; another building 230 feet long, contains the mess hall,kitchen, store rooms, surgeon's office, hospital, and Society hall. Two Literary Societies are in successful operation among the Cadets.
The standard of instruction in the Academy is intended to be of high order, and displomas will be awarded only to proficients. The officers who officiate as instructors are, Col. C. C. TEW, Superintendent, Capt. M. RICHARDSON, Capt. C. E. LIGHTFOOT, Lieut. A. S. GAILLARD, and Lieut. F. SCHALLER; all of whom, we have reason to believe, are able and efficient. (Hillsboro' Recorder.)