Contributed by Susan
Description: Wales Honored – Three New "Sirs" Selected Among Prominent CymryDate: July 7 1910
Newspaper published in: Scranton, PA
Wales Honored – Three New "Sirs" Selected Among Prominent Cymry
The king in his birthday list selected three Welshmen for honors, Sir William Hall Jones, Commissioner of Australia; Sir J. D. Rees, M.P., C. I. E.; and Sir J. Pritchard Jones.
Sir J. Pritchard Jones was born of poor parents in the village of Newborough in Anglesey, and his early education was received in the village school of Dwyran, three miles from his home. As a child, he walked three miles every morning to school and three miles home, taking his dinner with him. On leaving school, he was apprenticed to a draper in Carnarvon, and after serving here for some years, decided to go to London. In 1870, he joined the firm of Dickens and Jones, one of the greatest firms in the West End of London, as a buyer. He displayed great business acumen, and in 1878, he was made a partner. One of the first public acts of generosity which brought J. Pritchard Jones into prominence was his kind thought for the poor of his native village. Newborough was at one time closely attached to the court of the old Prince of Wales and was afterwards one of the most flourishing centers in Anglesey, but it fell upon evil days, and became a poor, out of the way district. For the benefit of the locality, a set of very fine buildings called the Pritchard Jones Institute was erected at a cost of 20,000 pounds, embracing a library, a public hall, reading and recreation rooms, and cottage residences, to which are attached pensions for deserving poor of the village. The pensions are of the value of 7 shillings, 6 pence a week for married couples, and 5 shillings a week for single men, the only restriction placed on tenants being that they should attend some place of worship, if able. It is laid down in the trust deed that the charity shall be forever nonsectarian. The surplus, by the founders' direction, is to go to provide exhibitions to intermediate schools and scholarships to the University College at Bangor. The gift is probably one of the finest of its kind in the country. In order to show their appreciation of his generosity, a portrait of himself was presented to the new baronet about two years ago, subscribed for by the whole county of Anglesey.
Sir J. D. Rees, who has received the knight commandship of the Indian empire, is the well-known member for Montgomeryshire boroughs, a seat which he captured in 1906 with a majority of 83, and retained at the last election by a small majority.