Times Union
Times Union
Contributed by Glenda_Subyak

Description: Various regional, national and international news including thirteen-year-old makes music record, etc.

Date: July 17 1925

Newspaper published in: Rochester, NY


Schenectady, July 17 - For the insignificant sum of $13, Hayden SMITH, 17-year-old youth, of this city, today stands in the shadow of the electric chair.
SMITH, according to a confession county officials say he made, planned the murder and robbery of Ziba C. NICKERSON of Chatham, Mass., while NICKERSON was getting a telegraph money order for $15 cashed on the afternoon of July 4. NICKERSON had befriended SMITH when he found him trudging along the road near Cleveland, O., and had given him a lift in his automobile to this city, his home town.
NICKERSON ran out of funds when he reached here, and telegraphed his relatives for money, SMITH then took NICKERSON to his home and kept him there while he was awaiting arrival of the money. On the afternoon of the national holiday. NICKERSON received work his money was at the telegraph office and drove down there with SMITH. According to the county authorities SMITH conceived the idea of murder and robbery while NICKERSON was collecting the money.
The two drove around the city for a time, and then NICKERSON permitted SMITH to drive the car and on a lonely road the youth deliberately stalled the car. While NICKERSON looked over the motor, SMITH drew a revolver belonging to his friend and shot him five times. He did not get the $15, however, finding but $13, a watch and ring. These latter he threw away, the alleged confession states. His net proceeds were $13 and an automobile.
He made no attempt to dispose of the machine.
Today, according to the jailer, SMITH is smiling and happy, apparently; the thought of going to the electric chair for $13 is not giving him the least bit of concern.
"I feel better now that I have this off my mind," Sheriff MYERS quoted SMITH as saying after he made his confession. "It had been worrying me."
No mention of the $13 — the figure considered an omen of ill luck — and what his desire for it is apt to cost him.



Paris, July 17 - Accused of keeping his wealthy wife chained up for two years in her chateau near Chatenay, Charles SOLER, head of a Paris manufacturing company, and a close friend of a former president of the republic is under arrest, together with his "secretary." Mile. Berthe de La Planque.
The affair, which came to light as a result of citizens of Chatenay hearing faint cries coming from a tower room of the chateau, has given Paris society, in which both SOLER and his wife were prominent, a severe shock.



Buffalo, July 17 - Storms that swept over Western New York and Pennsylvania last night did heavy damage to crops. Lightning struck the Presbyterian Church at Warsaw and Lockport reported much damage to shade trees. Mount Morris, Hornell and Middletown also recorded heavy losses sustained by flood water.



Olean, July 17 - Joseph LIOI, 22 Youngstown, O., today was found guilty of murder in the second degree in the killing of John BARKER here, May 15.



Albany, July 17 - Gasoline pumps may be set up at the curb of city streets and those already in place need not be moved, according to a decision of the Court of Appeals.
The court's decision reversed the Appellate Division, Second Department, which affirmed a mandamus order obtained by Frank M. McCOY, Jr., directing the trustees of the village of Peekskill to remove gasoline pumps located at curbs as alleged obstructions to traffic.



Mineola, July 17 - With Philip KNOK KNAPP, army deserter and alleged "thrill murderer," variously reported as having been seen in North Carolina, Washington, D. C., Indiana, Ohio and crossing the Canadian border within the past 24 hours, a Nassau county grand jury was summoned here today to indict him for the killing of Louis PANELLA.
District Attorney WEEKS, who clings to belief that KNAPP will be apprehended within a few days, expecting the grand jury to hand down an indictment charging first degree murder.



Calexico, Cal., July 17 - Claiming she was kidnaped by Chinese and carried, blindfolded and gagged, in a moving vehicle, toward the Mexican border, 240 miles home, Mrs. Virginia Lee COOKSON, wealthy authoress, sought refuge with the police here during the night. Early today, she was still hysterical and unable to give a clear account of her adventure.
A posse of 30 men had searched the hills around Santa Ana for Mrs. COOKSON since her disappearance early this week. She had left notes, telling of a premonition of death, and directing disposition of her affairs.
When she staggered up to Sergeant Holmes WILLIS of Calexico's night force and begged refuge in his home, Mrs. COOKSON wore no shoes, her clothing was disheveled, and she was in a hysterical condition. She told the wife of Sergeant WILLIS, who took her in for the night, that she had been driving in her automobile near Santa Anna Tuesday night when a car filled with Chinese which had been following her, drew up alongside and forced her from the road.
Mrs. COOKSON said she was overpowered, bound, gagged and placed in what seemed to be a covered wagon. She lost consciousness, she said, until reaching Calexico, 240 miles to the south. Here she found herself a prisoner in a den of Orientals. The authoress told of befriending a Chinese youth, who aided her to escape. She said she never had seen her assailants before, but believes they intended carrying her across the border.



Connersville, Ind., July 17 - "They all look alike to me when they stand in front of the bar," said Police Judge OC?FLTREE as he fined his cousin, E. DUNN, $25 for leaving his auto in the street, with the motor running.



Bridgeton, N. J., July 17 - Mrs. Anna Katherine CAMP, observed her 97th birthday by adorning her home with 97 American flags. Her descendants are more numerous than the flags, including 11 children, 40 grandchildren, 84 great-grandchildren and 12 great-grandchildren.



Paris, July 17 - Three persons were killed today at Chalonsur-Saone when two army airplanes telescoped in the air.
Milan, July 17 - Capsizing of an airplane today above Traudale, in one of the strangest accidents of aviation history, brought death and a factory fire in its trail.
The machine occupied by Sergeants CATTANEO and PINI struck the chimney of a plant, ignited, and spread its flames to the inside of the factory. The aviators were burned to death, and the owner of the plant and one of his workmen were seriously injured.



Niagara Falls, July 17 - The body of a man picked up from the Canadian shore today was at first believed to be that of Philip KNAPP, army deserter and alleged murderer. There is a strong resemblance. The fact that the body has been in the water a comparative length of time, however, precluded the possibility of its being that of KNAPP.



Ogdensburg, N. Y., July 17 - Two men lost their lives during a heavy electrical storm along the St. Lawrence river yesterday, Henry SHAMBO, 55, a Louisville farmer, was killed by lightning and Charles CRITEN, 50, tried to escape the fury of the storm while walking along the road near Aultsville, Ontario, by throwing his coat over his head and plunging along the highway. An automobile ran him down, causing fatal injuries.



Perry, July 17 - Howard S. WILSON, died at the Peck Hospital, Brooklyn, following an operation. His body was brought to Perry yesterday and funeral services were held at the home of Mr. and Mrs. L. G. STAINTON. Mr. WILSON leaves a wife and two children.



Batavia, July 17 - Mrs. Alda BODERICK, for 15 years postmaster of Linden, died at the home of her daughter, Mrs. George WILBER, 105 West Main street, following an illness from the infirmities of age.
Mrs. RODERICK was born in St. Lawrence county 78 years ago and moved to Linden when a child.
Besides her daughter, at whose home she died, she is survived by another daughter, Mrs. George H. CRAFT of Oakfield.



Newark, July 17 - Harry A. TELLIER, member of the State Assembly from Wayne county, announces that he will be a candidate for the Republican nomination for re-election, subject to the primaries, September 15.
Mr. TELLIER has been a resident of Wayne county practically all his life, having been born in Iowa in 1883. Eight weeks after his birth his family moved to Macedon. His father and mother were both residents of Wayne county before their marriage. In 1891 the TELLIER family moved to Williamson. He was graduated from the Williamson High School in 1903. The same year he entered the Cheetham & Transue bank of Williamson. Later when that business was taken over by the State Bank of Williamson. Mr. TELLIER became assistant cashier. In 1911 he resigned and far a year engaged in farming. He was then offered the position of cashier of the First National Bank of North Rose, and nine years later he became president of the bank.
He is secretary-treasurer and director of the Wolcott Storage and ice Company, and treasurer of the General Storage and Ice Company of North Rose. He has recently been elected director and vice-president of the new National Bank of Savannah. He is a pastmaster mason, a member of the Grange, a member of the Baptist Church, and was for many years a member of the local school board.





Mrs. Elizabeth ACKERMAN, 108 years old last May, never even heard of Live a Little Longer Classes. Propped up on her pillows in her bed at St. Ann's Home she would rather talk about recipes for gingerbread and soup, the way she used to make it before old age crept up beside her, depriving her of the cottage and her little kitchen. There were no electric cleaners, electric washing machines or bread mixers in that kitchen in the early 1800's. Everybody worked hard, ate well and went to bed early nights.
Authentic records show that Elizabeth RENWALD was born in Germany in 1817, coming to this country and to Rochester when she was seven years old. She was married in St. Joseph's Church and is perhaps its oldest member. She had four children, two sons and two daughters. Three of the children died before they were 20 years old and one of the daughters died while still a young woman so that Mrs. ACKERMAN is all alone in the world.
Until 1899, when she was 82 years old, she still maintains her own home in the tiny cottage where she had brought up her family. When the small duties inside and the work in the garden outside became too much for her in addition to the work she was obliged to do to support herself, she retired to the old folk's home, then in Main street east. The nuns say that she was very active at that time, going out every day to help in some one's home and earn spending money.
Even when she removed to the present institution in Lake avenue boulevard when it was built in 1906 Mrs. ACKERMAN was accustomed to go to her work in Kodak Park every day. She is now confined to her room, although she gets up several times a day to walk about in the corridors. Her hearing is good, although her sight has failed. She has no organic ailments and enjoys her meals as well as the average young person in excellent health.
The old lady doesn't care to talk about old age. In fact she thinks it strange that she goes on living when her husband, the boys and girls passed on so long ago leaving her all alone with no one but strangers about her. When her memory reaches into the past at all it is to think about the little old kitchen where the good soup and molasses cake were made and where the bread was set at night by the light of home-made candies.
Mrs. ACKERMAN is more interested in life than old age and all her thoughts of living longer, if she has any, center about the world beyond.



Avoca, July 17 - Mr. and Mrs. Joseph BUKOWSKI and three sons of Wilkesbarre, Pa., were all badly shaken up, Mrs. BUKOWSKI receiving a severe cut on her forehead, when the Packard sedan in which they were riding left the road and hit a large pole at Redmond's Corners, two miles east of here yesterday afternoon.
The party was on its way to visit friends in Buffalo and Detroit when the accident happened. Mr. BUKOWSKI turned out to avoid hitting a car which stopped suddenly and ran his machine into the pole.
Mrs. BUKOWSKI was thrown against the top of the car with such force that she suffered a very deep cut on her forehead. Her wounds were dressed by Dr. F. H. LAPP. They spent the night at the home of Mr. and Mrs. William F. JACKSON here.
The sedan was considerably damaged.



Salamanca, July 17 - George BURROWS, 65, was instantly killed when his touring car, in which he was riding, was struck and demolished by a B. R. & P. train on the crossing of the Sugartown road over the B. R. & P. near the Brewer school house, about three miles north of Great Valley, yesterday.



Dr. Irving L. WALKER, who retired from service at the Rochester State Hospital after 25 years service, has been succeeded by Dr. Charles (E. Or F.) GIBBS, it was announced at the hospital this morning.
Dr. GIBBS comes from New York city, where he has been in charge of the laboratories of the state hospital for the insane in that city. He will continue with Dr. WALKER'S work here in the men's service.
Dr. WALKER retired on June 1. After 25 years service doctors to the state employ are permitted to retire and he gave up his work at the Rochester hospital under that ruling. Dr. WALKER was well-known in the city for his work among the patients at the institution.



Three children of Russell T. SCOTT, who was to have been hanged today at Cook County Jail, Chicago, following conviction on a charge of murder, are residents at Hillsdale Home in Monroe avenue. Robert, who is celebrating his seventh birthday today, and Russell, aged four, know nothing of their father's plight; but Dudley, aged nine, has been told something of the circumstances by his mother who has been in Illinois for several weeks endeavoring to persuade Governor SMALL to change his decision that SCOTT must pay the death penalty.
Governor SMALL granted SCOTT a seven-days reprieve today, when a telegram purporting to be signed by SCOTT'S brother and confessing responsibility for the murder was received.



Sam OLLES, 27, this city, a produce dealer, was sentenced by County Judge Willis K. GILLETTE to serve from two and one-half to five years in Auburn prison, when arraigned on a charge of criminally receiving stolen property in County Court this morning. A fine of $500 also was imposed.



Court of Appeals Says Israel Jacobstein Was Cruel and Inhuman
in His Attitude Toward Mrs. Jacobstein

Mrs. Tillie JACOBSTEIN of Cumberland street, wife of a Rochester and Syracuse cigar dealer, is upheld by the court of Appeals in a decree of separation obtained in the lower courts.
The decision of the Court of Appeals holds that marital infidelity on the part of a husband constitutes cruel and inhuman treatment.
Supreme Court Justice Benjamin B. CUNNINGHAM awarded Mrs. JACOBSTEIN a decree of separation in December, 1923, together with custody of the one child and alimony of $30 a week. Through his attorney, Philetus CHAMBERLAIN, Israel JACOBSTEIN appealed to the Appellate Division which affirmed Justice CUNNINGHAM'S decision by a vote of three to two. The case was then taken to the Court of Appeals at Albany with the noted result.
Mrs. JACOBSTEIN charged that her husband was intimate with Mrs. Margaret S. SHULTERS, of Amity street, before and after their marriage. The JACOBSTEINS were married January 11, 1920.
In his decision Justice CUNNINGHAM reviewed the charges of the plaintiff that the defendant was addicted to the use of intoxicating liquors and that he became intoxicated on an average of once a week, disproving this charge as he did the assertion made by the plaintiff that the defendant was an inveterate gambler. However, Justice CUNNINGHAM stated there was some reason for the plaintiff's belief.
Taking up the question of marital infidelity, the court found that JACOBSTEIN had lived on terms of intimacy with Mrs. SHULTERS for eight years before his marriage, and that he had promised to marry her. While on their wedding trip, Mrs. JACOBSTEIN learned that Mrs. SHULTERS was about to start an action against her husband.
JACOBSTEIN was seen leaving the home of Mrs. SHULTERS July 13, 1922, and immediately afterward went to Syracuse. Since that time he did not live with his wife nor attempt to live with her, the decision stated.



Daughters of Scotia will meet this evening at Union league Hall when District Grand Deputy Past Chief Daughter Agnes WILLIAMSON will make her official visit. Farewell will also be said to Past Chief Daughter Margaret McKINLEY, grand Deputy of Lady Douglas Lodge, Syracuse, who sails with her husband for Scotland July 25. Every member is requested to attend the meeting.



Robert EADIE, 31, of 1210 Main street east, suffered minor injuries to his head this morning when an iron pipe, which he was helping to load onto a truck at North Water and Franklin streets, slipped and hit him in the head. EADIE is an employe of the Rochester Gas and Electric Corporation. He was taken to the Homeopathic Hospital in the ambulance.



Police of the Joseph avenue station are busy looking for two small boys who, shortly after 10 o'clock this morning, pulled fire alarm box 57, at Portland avenue and Holbrooke street. Fire companies under Battalion Chief SLATTERY made the run. There was no fire.



Chicago, July 17 - Alderman Donald McKINLEY introduced a bill requiring all saddle horses to wear ‘tail lights.' There is so much night horseback riding, says McKINLEY, that it presents a serious menace.



Gainesville, July 17 - Principal and Mrs. G. A. PERCELL of Jamestown, have been the guests at the home of her brother, L. S. DUGGAN. They also spent a few days at the DUGGAN cottage at Silver Lake.

L. B. STAMP has sold his real estate to Oscar SLOCUM who will make it into an up-to-date barber shop and billiard room.

Mr. and Mrs. Charles BARKER and Mrs. Louis JELL of St. Louis are in town, called here by the death of their daughter and sister, Mrs. John PRENTICE.

Mrs. Evelyn HICKEY of New York is spending a few days with relatives in town.

The Gainesville baseball team will play the Wyoming team on the local diamond Saturday afternoon.

Mrs. Adell WILSON is spending a few days with friends in Eagle.

Mrs. Jean EASTMAN, Mr. and Mrs. Floyd EMMONS and children, Mrs. Mary CARPENTER and Mrs. Stanley SLADE of Rochester were in town this week.

Mr. and Mrs. Albert GAGE of Lamont and Mae GAGE of Cleveland called on friends in town recently.

Hazel YOUNG of Cleveland has been spending several weeks with her parents, Mr. and Mrs. Frank WILSON.


To prevent a person's hands being caught in a clothes wringer a Chicago woman is the inventor of a wringer to which clothes are fed on a belt and that keeps the fingers several inches out of danger.



Sunday, July 26, is the date set for the leaving of George EASTMAN and members of his party for a six-weeks trip through British Columbia. Through an error, yesterday's early edition of the Times-Union gave the date as next Sunday.



F. H. PICTSCHMAN, 50, of Wulff's Hotel, State street, narrowly escaped death or serious injury late yesterday afternoon when he fell into a carload of hot coke which he was helping to unload at the Fall street plant of the Rochester Gas and Electric Corporation. His right arm was badly burned and he was taken to the General Hospital in the ambulance.



Spencerport, July 17 - Mr. and Mrs. Earl AUSTIN and family are spending some time at their cottage at Willow Beach.

Mr. and Mrs. C. W. FOWLER and daughter spent the week-end in Angelica.

Winifred O'GRADY, Esther JENKINS and Mollie BRECKWORTH of Buffalo were week-end guests of Hannah E. CASHMAN.

Dr. and Mrs. C. G. LENHART and children are on a motor trip to Battle Creek, Mich., and Canada.

Mr. and Mrs. F. B. SNAVELY spent Saturday and Sunday at the FOWLER cottage at Willow Beach.

Constance ARNOLD of Rochester is spending the week with her grandmother, Mrs. John UPTON.

Mr. and Mrs. Vincent Ingraham and children have left for Kalamazoo, Mich., where they will remain for several months.

Ruth AUSTIN of Buffalo is spending a month with her parents, Mr. and Mrs. E. E. AUSTIN.

Mrs. Elmer SMITH and daughter, Mary Jane, were recent guests of Mrs. Elizabeth UPTON HERRICK and Mrs. John Latta SNIDER at their summer home at Shore Acres, Lake Ontario.

Wendell CURTIS spent the week-end in Medina.

Mabel STOCK of Wayland is a guest at the home of Mr. and Mrs. Charles MERZ.

Mr. and Mrs. Harry ASHTON and family, Mr. and Mrs. Lawrence STATT and family, Mr. and Mrs. Nicholas COOK and Mrs. Clara LEARY and daughter, Esther, spent Saturday at Island Cottage.

Mr. and Mrs. E. E. AUSTIN and Ruth AUSTIN are spending two weeks at Willow Beach.

Mr. and Mrs. Clayton FRYER and daughter, Jean of Warsaw, spent the week-end at the home of Mrs. Alice LAWSON.

Mr. and Mrs. W. F. GOFF and daughter of Rochester, spent Saturday and Sunday at the home of Mrs. S. H. CURTIS.

Mr. and Mrs. Charles ROLLIN are taking a motor trip to Canada.



(Photo of James F. Hyland)

Funeral services for James F. HYLAND, aged 44, engineer on the New York Central Railroad, who died Tuesday from a stroke at Medina , were held from home, 132 Ontario street, this morning at 8:30 o'clock and from Corpus Christi Church at 9 o'clock. The Rev. J. F. DISSETT officiated at high requiem mass.
Apparently in good health, Mr. HYLAND was eastbound on Train S R 2, Falls branch. While the train was detained a few minutes at Medina he was taken ill, dying shortly afterward. At Medina he complained of feeling ill and died within a few minutes. He entered the services of the new York Central as a fireman in February, 1897. In 1905 he was promoted to the position of engineer. He had worked most of the time on the Rochester division and numbered many railroad men among his friends. He was a member of the Rochester Brotherhood of Locomotive Engineers.
Active bearers all associates of Mr. HYLAND on the railroad were: James CLEARY, John SULLIVAN, George KING, Michael CLEARY, Nicholas KEHOE and John NEEDHAM.
He is survived by his mother, Mrs. Lawrence HYLAND of Rochester; two sons, James and Raymond HYLAND of Rochester; two brothers, John and William of Buffalo; four sisters, Mrs. Ellis J. WURME, Mrs. Avery ANDREWS, miss Catherine HYLAND, all of Rochester and Mrs. Joseph LYNCH of Carleton.



Was a Life-Long Resident of Rochester and a Member of the Klee & Groh Co. Since 1895 -
Funeral Tomorrow

(Photo of Albert J. Groh, Sr.)

Albert J. GROH, Sr., of the Klee & Groh Jewelry Company, died yesterday afternoon at his home at 102 Averill avenue, aged 68 years. He is survived by his wife, Mrs. Katherine BURCHARD GROH; one daughter, Mrs. Frederick MESSERSCHMIDT; one son, Albert J. jr., one sister, Mrs. Eliza SCHNEIDER; one brother, Charles, of St. Augustine, Fla., and two grandchildren.
Mr. GROH was born in 1857 in the house in which he died and was one of the early residents of the Averill avenue section of Rochester. At an early age he entered the business world with the Hatch Crimping Shoe Machinery Company, where he remained for 20 years, rising to the position of superintendent of the factory.
In 1895 he became the partner of George KLEE in the jewelry business which at that time, and for seven years subsequent, was located in Clinton avenue north at Gorham street. They later moved to the present Main street address where they have been in business for 22 years.
He was a member of St. Boniface Church, Rochester Lodge of Elks, the Chamber of Commerce and the Rochester and New York State Jeweler's Association. Funeral services will take place at 9:30 o'clock tomorrow morning from the home and at 10 o'clock from St. Boniface Church. The Rev. John F. BOPPEL will officiate. Burial will be made in Holy Sepulchre Cemetery.



(Photo of Grace Cordia Murray)

Grace Cordia MURRAY, daughter of the late Rev. W. E. MURRAY of Rochester and promising musician, recently returned to Rochester from North Carolina to resume her studies at the Eastman School of Music. Formerly she had been an honor student at this institution, with Miss Mildred BROWNELL as instructor. Later she studied at Thiel College in Greenville, Pa., under Prof. Stanley SEIPLE. Although only 13 years old, Grace has accomplished more than the average music student of her age. She has played in the various churches in which her family served and in December, 1924, gave her first public recital in the large auditorium of the Lutheran church in Hickory, N. C.
Grace MURRAY received the first prize in 1924 in a music memory contest in Greenville, Pa., and won first prize this year in a hymnal music contest, held in Hickory, N. C., being awarded a medal by the National Bureau for the Advancement of Music.
A bright future in the world of music is predicted for Miss MURRAY who, with her mother, will reside at 15 Greenwood street.



Federal authorities and State Troopers were still searching today for the missing captain of the rum boat by State Troopers and deputies yesterday morning at Point Breeze on Lake Ontario.
Two theories as to his disappearance exist. One that he was drowned in an attempt to escape capture and the other that he swam under water to another part of the shore and made away.
The weight of the man's clothing is believed by some to have made his escape under water impossible. The missing man is known only as "Bill," and is believed to hail from thats all I got.



William McNEILL, who died June 21, bequeathed property valued at $12,000 to his wife, Lottie, and at her death to pass to his son, Kenneth C. McNEILL.

Pauline GERLING left property valued at 17,000, according to papers filed in Surrogate Court today. Flora WEBER, daughter of the decedent and Arthur and Clarence GERLING, sons, were included in the beneficiaries.



The board of directors of the H. H. FREELAND Company, manufacturers of juvenile shoes. Stone street, yesterday elected George P. FREELAND, son of the late H. H. FREELAND, founder of the concern, a member of the board and appointed him secretary of the company. Mr. FREELAND will fill the vacancy left on the board by the retirement of Eugene STROUSE, who recently left Rochester to practice law in New York.
Other officers of the company, who were re-elected at yesterday's meeting are: President, Mrs. Edna P. RILEY; vice-president, Frank SEIDEWAND; treasurer, Mrs. Eleanor W. SEIDEWAND. These officers, with the addition of S. Edward BREWSTER, constitute the board of directors.
The FREELAND company, which was established in 1886, is the oldest concern in Rochester engaged in the manufacture of babies' shoes. Mr. FREELAND has been associated with the company since he left Yale University, several years ago.



Funeral Services For Timothy McMahon
The funeral of Timothy McMAHON, call boy at the new York Central who was accidently killed by the Empire State Express Saturday, was held at St. Francis Xavier Church on Tuesday morning at 9 o'clock the body had been taken from the home of the boy's aunt, Mrs. Patric CLEARY, 38 Saunders street, to the church. Many relatives and friends from out of town were present at the services. Among them were Mrs F. W. MOORE, and daughters, Ann and Katherine of St. Louis; Mr. and Mrs. P. J. HILL and son, Joseph; John, of Jerry(?), Frances, Loretta and Helen CONNELLON, Mr. and Mrs. James D. LADEN and children, Helen and James, all of Norwich.
The bearers were: Joseph HILL, Frances CONNELLON, James LADEN of Norwich and Don THOMAS and John CURRY of this city.
The funeral mass was sung by the Rev. Frances X. KUNZ pastor of the church. The young man who was 19 years of age had been in Rochester only eight weeks when he came to his death. He came directly from Ireland. He is survived by his parents, Sylvester and Anna CONNELLON McMAHON of County clair, Ireland, four brothers and two sisters, also in Ireland, and Miss Mary McMAHON, of 305 Oxford street Rochester.


The funeral of Mrs. Anna DOBBERTIN, wife of Albert DOBBERTIN of 206 Hamilton street, was held from the house on Tuesday morning at 9:30 o'clock and from St. Boniface's Church at 9:45 o'clock. Solemn high requiem mass was celebrated by the rector, the Rev. John F. BOPPEL, assisted by the Rev. George SCHMITT as deacon and the Rev. Howard BARRY as subdeacon. The children's choir sang under direction of Professor Philip KRECKEL. The following priests assisted in the sanctuary: The Rev. George KALB, the Rev. A. F. TEMMERMAN, the Rev. William V. GRUENAUER and the Rev. A. SCHNEIDER. Delegations from the Sacred heart and Rosary societies and the Ladies' Auxillary, No. 47, Knights of St. John, attended. Joseph RUBY, William SCHREINER, Eugene GRIVET, Frank VOGEL, John REICHERT and Frank SEMPLE of Commandery 25, Knights of St. John, acted as bearers. Interment was at Holy Sepulchre Cemetery in the family lot, the final blessing being by the Rev. John BOPPEL.


The Rev. ADELFORD J. BROWN, native Syracusan, died Monday in New York city. Mr. BROWN received his early education in Syracuse schools and was graduated from Cazenovia Seminary in 1872. For many years he was pastor of Fabius Baptist Church and of other churches in that vicinity. He belonged to the Masonic order and the Odd Fellows.
Mr. BROWN had in recent years been a teacher of languages and penmanship in the Drake Business Colleges of New York city.
Among his survivors are a daughter, Mrs. John MULLER, Syracuse; a nephew, Oscar J. BROWN, local attorney; and a brother, Herbert C. BROWN, Vesper. He is also survived by his widow, Mrs. Hattie R. BROWN, of Oswego; two sons, Ralph E. BROWN of OSWEGO and Earl O. BROWN of Rochester; and a second brother, Charles R. BROWN of Utica.


Mrs. Lucy WALLER WORMELEY, widow of P. Lightfoot WORMELEY, former wealthy tobacconist of Richmond, and mother of Carter W. WORMELEY, state director of publicity, died yesterday in a hospital in Washington, D. C., aged 74 years. The body will be taken to Richmond, Va. Burial will be in Hollywood.
Mrs. WORMELEY is survived by another son, P. Lightfoot WORMELEY, Jr., of Washington, and a daughter, Mrs. Stuart L. CRAWFORD of Rochester, who before her marriage was Miss Lucy WALLER WORMELEY, a noted Virginia beauty. Mrs. WORMELEY was a daughter of the late Alexander and Eliza DUVAL, of this city. She had been in failing health for several years.



Michael J. DRURY died yesterday at the home, 22 Selye Terrace. He is survived by one brother, Arthur DRURY; six sisters, Sarah A., Mary J., Alice G. and F. Blanche DRURY, Mrs. Agnes A. RAUBER and Mrs. Edward ROSENHAGEN, all of this city. The funeral will take place tomorrow morning at 8 o'clock from the home and at 9 o'clock from St. Bridget's Church.


JOHN MURRAY died yesterday. He is survived by two sisters, Mrs. Isabella DUNNAN and Miss Jeanette MURRAY. The body was removed to Ryan & McIntee's funeral parlors, 207 Chestnut street.

WILLIAM NEWTON died yesterday at the home in Henrietta, aged 80 years. He is survived by four daughters, Miss M. Frances NEWTON, of Henrietta, Mrs. Carrie D. HINDS, Mrs. Alice N. De WITT of Rochester, and Mrs. Ella N. MELLARS of San Francisco, Cal.; nine grandchildren, and five great-grandchildren.

MRS. FREDERICK STRUTZ, wife of William STRUTZ, died yesterday at the home, 203 Caroline street, aged 86 years. Besides her husband, she is survived by three daughters, Mrs. George F. KRAUTWURST, Mrs. Charles W. BLOCK and Mrs. Robert T. FARRELL; one son, Andrew STRUTZ; 12 grandchildren, and three great- grandchildren.

ERNA IDLER died this morning at the home of her sister in Fairport, aged 49 years. She is survived by three sons, Fred and August IDLER and Oscar HEMPEL; one daughter, Helen IDLER, and four sisters. She was a member of Grace Lutheran Church, Ladies Aid Society and Germania Chapter, O. E. S. The body was removed to 10 Renwood street.

CLARA J. RICHARDSON, widow of Nicholas RICHARDSON, died yesterday at her home in the Parma-Clarkson Town Line road. She is survived by two daughters, Mrs. Willis M. WINDOVER and Mrs. Richard ROLLER, both of Clarkson; three grandchildren, five brothers and two sisters, Mrs. Isabelle WICKS, Mrs. Willis DeLANO and Lewis SAGE, all of Hilton; Frederick SAGE of Mount Morris, Sylvester SAGE of Batavia, Edward SAGE of Morganville and William of Rochester.



Mrs. Mabel Elizabeth HOFFMAN Dies 20 Minutes After Auto in Which She Is Riding Is Struck by R. & E. Car at Palmyra Road Crossing, Mile East of Pittsford — Child Hit by auto

Fatality marked the end of a vacation trip when Mrs. Mabel Elizabeth HOFFMAN, 48, of Mt. Vernon, Ohio, died yesterday afternoon from injuries received when the automobile in which she was riding and which was driven by her son, Kenneth, was hit by a Rochester and Eastern trolley car at the Palmyra road crossing a mile east of Pittsford.
It was first believed that Mrs. HOFFMAN died of shock, as she was subject to cardiac trouble, but an autopsy, performed by Coroner Charles I. MAGGIO at the morgue, last night, determined the cause of death as the puncture of her lungs by two fractured ribs. She died within 20 minutes after the accident and before the Highland Hospital ambulance could reach her.

In the machine with Mrs. HOFFMAN were her two sons, Kenneth, 22, and Lloyd, 24, who escaped without injury and her daughter, Isabelle, 18, who suffered cuts and bruises. Dr. John VAN DOORN, of Pittsford, treated both Mrs. HOFFMAN and her daughter. The body was taken to the Newcomb Undertaking Parlors in Pittsford and later to the morgue.
The accident occurred at a spot where the railroad tracks cross the Palmyra road diagonally. The automobile was struck back of the center, hurled 30 feet and turned around. Mrs. HOFFMAN was sitting in the right side of the rear seat and received the full impact of the crash.

The trolley was in charge of "Doc" MARTIN, motorman and Henry GORDINIER, conductor. Witnesses stated that at the point there is a clear view of the tracks in both directions and that the motorman blew several blasts on his whistle as he approached the crossing. MARTIN said that the automobile drove suddenly on the tracks and the accident was unavoidable. Witnesses also stated that there were no evidences on the road that the automobile brakes had been applied. The crash occurred within a mile of the spot where Ray K. SAVAGE, principal of Jefferson Junior High School, was killed and Eleanor SULLIVAN, daughter of John D. SULLIVAN, fatally injured, in an accident on June 21.
Mrs. HOFFMAN was the wife of C. J. HOFFMAN of 512 East Gemberer street, Mt. Vernon, Ohio. The body will be taken to Mt. Vernon for burial. The automobile was driven to a garage under its own power.


Florence ANCOLLA, 2 of 18 Third street was severely cut and bruised last night when she was struck by an automobile while running across the street near her home. She was taken to the Homeopathic Hospital. The machine was driven by Charles LONAVARA, of 44 Bay street.

Three automobiles were damaged and none was hurt yesterday afternoon when Sydney Griffiths, driving a light delivery truck turned out to pass a car driven by Carmen RUSSELL of Chicago in Brooks avenue. He collided with another machine, coming in the opposite direction and driven by Edward DESMOND of Buffalo. The impact threw GRIFFITH'S car into the RUSSELL machine. Police of the Bronson avenue station investigated.



Michael MIRONUK of 14 Hanover street, and Frances DONOVAN of 16 Herman street.
Irving FELLOWS of 216 Ravine avenue, and Ruth KETCHAM of 499 Dewey avenue.
Herbert ZINK of Irondequoit, and Florence M. GLEICHAUF of Irondequoit.
David OLSEN of 21 Atkinson street, and Esther M. BUSCH of 21 Atkinson street.
James M. CRAWFORD of 519 Lake avenue, and Esther M. KETTWIG of 96 Meigs street.


didn't get the beginning


Others indicted, and the charges against them were:

Anthony G. BLA?ZDZNIAS, burglary, third degree, and grand larceny, breaking into the home of James JOHNSON, 224 William street, July 10.

Lawrence AMES, grand larceny, stealing an automobile belonging to James W. DWYER, 28 Delevan street. AMES is now on parole to Auburn prison.

Haskell BROWN, grand larceny, second degree, stealing $55.71 from Charlotte SMITH, 345 Court street.

Anthony SALAGH, abandonment of his wife, Victoria, 419 Hudson avenue and their children.

Harold LONG, burglary, third degree and petit larceny, breaking into the store of James P. DUFFAY at 489 South avenue.

Ernest REYNOLDS and William WEISS, grand larceny, stealing a coupe owned by Robert P. SMITH, 26 Winbourne road.

Frank SLOAN, grand larceny, stealing an automobile belonging to Francis KEENAN, 30 Hickory street.



Police are combing the city for Pauline H. McDONALD, 21, and Ruby WILLIS, 20, both of Messina, who escaped from Matron L. SWARTHOUT of the Western New York House of Refuge, Albion. The girls were sentenced at Canton to serve terms at Albion. The matron and girls were waiting at the Erie station for a trolley to take them to Albion. When the matron left them alone for a few minutes they disappeared.



Majestic Lunch - John F. SHEA, 1740 Lake avenue, and Charles L. SHELP, 9 Regent street.
McCLAREN Tire & Rubber Co— Harold D. STERNBERG, 101 Winbourne road.



The funeral of Howard S. WILSON of Brooklyn, who was well known in Rochester, Mt. Morris and Perry, where he had many relatives, was held from the home of Lloyd STAINTON, near Perry, yesterday afternoon.
Mr. WILSON died at Peck Memorial Hospital in Brooklyn on Monday. He is survived by his wife, formerly Miss Gertrude DALRYMPLE, daughter of the late William E. DALRYMPLE and Mrs. DALRYMPLE, formerly of Rochester; a young son, Edward, and a daughter, Ruth; three brothers, Ralph WILSON, secretary of the George C. BUELL Co. Reuben WILSON and Seth Low WILSON, both of Brooklyn; and his mother, Mrs. George W. WILSON of Brooklyn.
Mr. WILSON was formerly very active in the National Guard, and he was a prominent member of the Brooklyn Republican organization.
The Rev. E. E. JONES, pastor of the Perry Methodist Episcopal Church, officiated at the funeral. The bearers were Frank HOWARD, John HOWARD, Louis DALRYMPLE, Lloyd STAINTON, Seth Low WILSON and Ralph WILSON. Vivian WILSON of the Perry American Legion sounded taps over the grave. Burial was in the family lot at LaGrange.



Sporting thieves decided to take somewhat of a vacation yesterday and needed some golf as recreation. Not having golf clubs they decided to wander over to the Oak Hill Country Club and get a supply.
A. H. AGER, 385 Monroe avenue, and C. R. CRAVERS, 422 Plymouth avenue south, reported their golf bags and clubs stolen from their machines. The loss was placed at $50. Each.


  • 0/5
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5

0/5 based on 0 votes. The median rating is 0.
Show Individual Votes

Submitted: 05/13/05

Tags: (Please limit tags to surnames found within the article above)

Views: 1018 views. Averaging 0 views per day.
In the most recent 30 day period, there've been 18 views.

Previous Article | Next Article

Items (articles, comments, etc.) placed on the Newspaper Abstracts website and associated mail lists remain the property of the contributor. By submitting any item to this site, the contributor has granted permission to the Newspaper Abstracts website and associated mail lists to permanently display and archive the item(s) online for free access to the site visitor.