Democrat & Chronicle
Democrat & Chronicle
Contributed by Glenda_Subyak

Description: Farmer came near freezing to death, etc....

Date: February 22 1907

Newspaper published in: Rochester, NY

Feb. 22, 1907


Samuel Hooey in a Critical Condition

Bath, Feb. 21 - Samuel HOOEY, a farmer, residing near Buena Vista, in the southwestern part of this town, is in a critical condition from a near approach to freezing to death a night or two ago. He had been to this village upon business and started to drive home through a blinding storm of sleet. He became very cold and finally passed into unconsciousness. The horse continued on until the carriage left the roadbed, and was partially overturned, HOOEY being thrown out.

The horse reached home without its driver and the man's family then went back in search of HOOEY. He was found several miles back, lying where he had fallen from the carriage. It was at first thought life extinct, but after hours of work resuscitation was finally established. His hands, feet and face are badly frozen, and he is suffering much from his long hours of exposure. His recovery is doubtful.

Bath, Feb. 21 - A dispatch was received yesterday from the chief of police of Cleveland, Ohio, stating that a man was dead at the morgue of that city, who from papers found upon his person was believed to be John WALSH, of Bath, N. Y.
The dispatch further asked that WALSH's relatives be notified and asked for directions concerning the disposition of the body. William WALSH of this place has a son named John, of whom the last heard was several months ago, when he was employed at his trade as a machinist in Chicago. Mr. WALSH will go to Cleveland to identify the remains.
Two marriage ceremonies at the manse yesterday afternoon. Eugene NORTHRUP, of Pulteney, and Mrs. Mary Ann JAMIESON, of Saginaw, Mich., were two of the contracting parties, and the others were Andrew J. PADDOCK and Miss Effie Olive GETTY, both of Pulteney.

Bath, Feb. 21 - Mrs. Estelle HOUSE, wife of Frederick INGRAHAM, died of consumption at her home in this village, Wednesday night, after a long illness. She was the daughter of Walter HOUSE, and born in Avoca, in which place and in this town her life of twenty-six years was passed. Her husband, her father and one sister are her survivors.

Bath, Feb. 21 - Mrs. Floyd DE GRAFF is dead at her home in the town of Howard, aged 30 years. Mrs. DE GRAFF was a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Thomas WOOD of the town of Canisteo, was born, married and had passed all her life in that community, where she was much esteemed. Her husband and a son survive.

Was Visiting His Daughter in New York

Watkins, Feb. 21 - The death of Henry V. HAAS, a prominent funeral director and furniture dealer of this village and a member of the Board of Trustees, occurred last night at the home of his daughter, Mrs. Harry VAN BOYER, in New York city, where he had been spending several weeks. Mr. HAAS had been ill a long time and his death was not unexpected.

Early in the winter he went to the city, believing the climate there would be less trying. About a week ago he planned to return home, but suddenly became worse.

Deceased was nearly 57 years of age, having been born in 1850. He was a native of Geneva and his early boyhood was spent there. On coming to this place he worked for the late George A. WICKES, a well known furniture dealer whom he subsequently succeeded in business. Mr. HAAS was in business here about 30 years and he became one of the most prominent and substantial business men of the place. He was a prominent Mason being a member of Jefferson Lodge and Watkins Chapter of this place, and of St. Omer's Commandery of Elmira. He also belonged to the Glen City Club and other organizations. His term as a village trustee would have expired, with the coming election.

The Board of Trustees will hold a special meeting Friday evening to take action in regard to Trustee HAAS's death. The funeral will be in charge of the Masonic order and will be held at the Presbyterian Church.

Colt Belonging to Elisha Kennedy Bridle Had Been Stolen

Phelps, Feb. 21 - A sensational runaway took place on the streets here last evening, shortly after 6 o'clock. A 4- year-old colt, owned by Elisha KENNEDY, who works the POTTER farm, that had been standing under the Cottage Hotel hitch sheds, got loose and dashed through the driveway, crossed Church street into Mrs. CARPENTER's yard and then plunged head foremost into the rear of the Catholic Church. He then circled around the church and while running between the parsonage and the church struck an iron pump with such force that it broke off at the curbing.

At this point one of the rear wheels of the carriage was demolished and when he again struck the street he was dragging the carriage on three wheels. In this manner he ran about four miles, when he managed to break from the carriage and then ran directly home, where he was found when Mr. KENNEDY reached there. The horse was cut up considerably.

There are some circumstances connected with the affair that Mr. KENNEDY will investigate. When he left the horse in the shed he was securely tied and had on a new bridle. This bridle is now missing and it was not attached to the horse when he came through the driveway at the Cottage Hotel. The tie strap which was fastened around the animal's neck and through the ring of the bridle bit was found in the shed tied to the hitching post. Some one evidently removed the bridle and stole it, leaving the horse fastened with the strap around its neck which it afterward slipped off and then got away. The buggy that was smashed was a new one and belonged to Eben POTTER.

Clyde, Feb. 21 - Mrs. Mary Ann, wife of Rev. E. S. BISHOP, of this village, died this morning of pneumonia, aged 74 years. Mrs. BISHOP was born in Richmond, Surrey, England, and came to this country when 16 years of age. She is survived by two sons, Alvin B. BISHOP, of Waterloo, and Sherman E. BISHOP, of Clyde.

Palmyra, Feb. 21 - Herbert BOYNTON, of this place, who was stricken with typhoid fever in New York city several days ago, is now reported to be getting along very well. His father, Fred L. BOYNTON, who went at once to New York as soon as the case was reported here, has returned home.

Medina, Feb. 21 - The annual village caucus at Bent's Opera House was largely attended. Seely A. COOK was renominated for mayor by acclamation: Dr. Thomas AGNEW, Philip L. BRUST and Marcellus CULVER, for aldermen; Warren ENSIGN and Ward B. REYNOLDS, assessors. H. E. KEARNEY, collector and George A. NEWELL, treasurer, were each nominated after a hard fight.

Popular Young Couple United in Marriage at Stanley

Stanley, Feb. 21 - Miss FAY was married to Frank HUTCHINSON yesterday afternoon at 4 o'clock at the home of Mr. and Mrs. D. S. YORK, which was adorned for the occasion. The bridal couple stood beneath a beautiful arch of evergreens and white roses, while Rev. A. B. TEMPLE heard the marriage vows. Mrs. C. BISSELL, of Rochester, sister of the bride, played the wedding march. The bride was clad in pearl gray liberty silk, trimmed with point lace.

A wedding dinner was served, the dining room being decked in pink and white. Many beautiful and valuable gifts were presented to the bride, including cut glass and silver, which bat??sted the esteem in which the young couple are held.

Mr. and Mrs. HUTCHINSON left on an evening train for their wedding journey. On their return they will take up their abode on a farm owned by the groom, about one mile north of Stanley.

An Old Resident of Newark and a Native of Sodus

Newark, Feb. 21 - The death of another of the residents of this village occurred this morning at 3 o'clock. The death was that of Mrs. Helen S. PAUL, aged 52 years. She was born in Sodus and after her marriage to J. A. PAUL in 1876, she moved to Newark, where she lived the remainder of her life. Mrs. PAUL had always been a devout worker of the Methodist Church and will long be remembered as one of its best members.

Two children were born to the deceased, a son, Lucius H., and a daughter, Nellie A. CLARK, of Newark. She is also survived by one step-daughter, Emma L., of Schuylerville, and a step-son, H. L. PAUL, of Newark. Two sisters, Mrs. John HOOT, of Joy, and Mrs. John ESPENMILLER?, of Sodus, also survive.

Lyons, Feb. 21 - William O. BARRETT, for thirty-four years a resident of the town of Lyons and a prominent farmer of the northwestern part, died to-day at his home. He was born at Fishkill in 1824. Two years after their removal to this region Mrs. BARRETT died. Deceased was a member of Eureka Grange. He is survived by a son, William BARRETT, and two daughters, Miss Mary BARRETT and Mrs. Philip KLIPPEL.

Nunda Woman Lived to the Great Age of Ninety-one Years

Nunda, Feb. 21 - In the death of Mrs. Mary WHEELER CLARK, at the great age of 91 years, 8 months and 9 days, Nunda loses next to its oldest citizen. This venerable lady, who was a daughter of Ebenezer and Charlotte WRIGHT-WHEELER, came to Nunda when she was 17 years of age, from Rockingham, Vt., and soon became a teacher in the district schools and also taught in the Nunda Literary Institute a few terms. She followed teaching for twenty years and some of her scholars are now at least three score and ten.

She was married to Colonel Greenleaf CLARK, a tanner and justice of the peace of Hunts Hollow and lived there until about a year ago, when she came to the village and lived with her friend. Miss Rachel BENNETT, who has since died. Though the oldest of a family of four sons and three daughters, Mrs. CLARK outlived them all and was at the time of her death the oldest person in the village excepting her life long friend, Mrs. Mary BARRETT BARRON.

Death of Mrs. Eunice Robinson, Formerly of Lamont

Lamont, Feb. 21 - Died, on February 16, at the home of her son, 23 Leroy avenue, Buffalo, N. Y., Eunice ROBINSON, in her 70th year. She is survived by nine children, Willard, of Buffalo; Mrs. A. J. MASON, of Rochester, Melvin G., of Eden Center; V. J., of Castile; Hiram L., of Tonawanda; Sister M. Georgianna, of buffalo; John Jr., of Rochester; Henry C., of Buffalo; and Fred W., of Bliss, N.Y.

Eunice CLARK ROBINSON was born in Greenwood, Allegany county, in 1837. She was married to John C. ROBINSON sixteen years later. Thirteen children were born to them. Two died in infancy and one, the late Mrs. James BERRY, died seven years ago.

The remains of Mrs. ROBINSON were brought in Lamont for interment and were laid by the side of her husband, who preceded her twenty-three years ago. An unusual feature of the services was that her seven sons acted as pall bearers. Mrs. ROBINSON had lived in Wyoming county for forty years and had been a member of the Methodist Church at Lamont for over thirty years.

Bath, Feb. 21 - Ambrose SMITH, one of the most prominent farmers of this town, is dead at the age of 81 years. Mr. SMITH was a native of Fulton county, but had resided in Bath over thirty-five years. He married Sarah TOWNSEND, who survives him, with the following children; Mrs. Dominick McFEELEY, Walter and Clinton SMITH, of Bath, Theron, of Thurston, Mrs. Belle CHRISTLER, of Bradford, and Charles and John, of Rochester.

District-Attorney to Apply for Order To-morrow

Notice was served yesterday on George RAINES and John ? McINERNEY, counsel for John R. CAVANAGH, that an application for an order increasing CAVANAGH's bail would be made before Judge John A. BARHITE in County Court to-morrow morning at 10 o'clock.

Bail was fixed by Judge BARHITE Wednesday evening at $2,000 with the understanding that an increase would be made if sufficient reason for such an action could be shown by the District-Attorney.

The proof of the will of Henry BARTHOLOMAY was filed with the Surrogate yesterday. The executors named are Henry BARTHOLOMAY, of Chicago, and Rudolph HOFHEINZ, of Rochester. They place the value of the real estate at $50,000 and the personal property at $400,000, making a total valuation of $450,000. At the time of Mr. BARTHOLOMAY's death it was reported that the estate was worth $5,000,000.

Decree of judicial settlement was granted by Surrogate BROWN yesterday in the matter of the estate of Margaret PALMER, releasing A. Worth PALMER as executor. Judicial settlement was also granted in the estate of William S. LAMOUREUX, of which Lillian M. LAMOUREUX was executrix.

Harriet G. TROWBRIDGE, widow of Marcus H. TROWBRIDGE, for many years the proprietor and editor of the Catskill Examiner, died yesterday at Catskill, N. Y., aged 75 years. Mrs. TROWBRIDGE was the mother of Mrs. Algeroon S. CRAPSEY, of this city.

Edwin M. BUTZEL died Tuesday at Detroit

William H. MACOMBER, of Webster, died Wednesday, aged 64 years. He leaves his wife and one daughter, Mrs. Adam BROWN. He was a veteran of the Civil war.

Earl W., son of Charles J. and the late Augusta FRITZ, died yesterday at the home of his grandparents, Mr. and Mrs. Christopher SANDROCK, No. 544 Bay street, aged 9 months.

Mary N. BROTHERS died Wednesday night at her home, No. 258 State street, aged 77 years. She leaves one daughter, Mrs. Emma BYCROFT.

A jury was selected in County Court yesterday afternoon to try the case of Paul OLLIS, an Italian, charged with carrying metal knuckles. OLLIS was arrested January 4th. A gun, a large knife and the knuckles were found on him. In police court OLLIS was fined $50 for carrying the revolver. Paul is said to be a nephew of the OLLIS who is known as the Rochester banana king.
The case is prosecuted by Assistant District-Attorney BECHTOLD and J. S. ALBRIGHT appears for the defendant.

A verdict of $75 in favor of the plaintiff was yesterday returned in the action of Mary A. EASTLAND, as administratrix, against Frank F. ANDREWS, on trial during the day before Judge John A. BARHITE in County Court. The action was brought to recover possession of a piano stored by Miss Frances BOWEN at the home of the defendant. Howard H. WIDENER appeared for the plaintiff and W. H. WHITING for the defendant.

First Lieutenant W. H. PRITCHETT visited the local marine recruiting station, in charge of Sergeant R. E. TOWNSEND, yesterday and ministered into the service Henry SMITH and William P. THOMSON. They left for Leagne Island Barracks, Philadelphia, last night.

CLARK - In this city, Wednesday evening, February 20, 1907, at the Municipal Hospital, John CLARK, Jr., aged 23 years, formerly of No. 207 South Fitzhugh street. Deceased is survived by his father, John S. CLARK.
-Funeral services Friday afternoon at 3 o'clock at C. E. Stru??cheu's funeral parlors, No. 253 North street. Friends invited.

GREENSTONE - Wednesday, February 20, 1907, Mrs. R. GREENSTONE.
-Funeral Friday at 2:30 P. M. Funeral private. Kindly omit flowers.

JOHNSON - At the Soldiers' Home, Bath, N. Y., William W. JOHNSON, aged 68 years.
-Interment at Utica, N. Y.

EMICH - Tuesday, February 19, 1907, at the residence of his daughter, Mrs. S. HAGER, No. 313 Jefferson avenue, August EMICH, of Gates, aged 78 years. He is survived by his wife, one son, August; one daughter, Mrs. S. HAGER, of this city; one sister, of Germany; one brother, George, of Spencerport; ten grandchildren and six great- grandchildren.
-The remains were removed to the residence of his son. August EMICH, No. 61 Warner street, whence the funeral will take place this (Friday) afternoon at 2 o'clock.


  • 0/5
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5

0/5 based on 0 votes. The median rating is 0.
Show Individual Votes

Submitted: 05/14/05

Tags: (Please limit tags to surnames found within the article above)

Views: 404 views. Averaging 0 views per day.
In the most recent 30 day period, there've been 1 view.

Previous Article | Next Article

Items (articles, comments, etc.) placed on the Newspaper Abstracts website and associated mail lists remain the property of the contributor. By submitting any item to this site, the contributor has granted permission to the Newspaper Abstracts website and associated mail lists to permanently display and archive the item(s) online for free access to the site visitor.