Discover your family's story.

Enter a grandparent's name to get started.

Start Now
Davenport Democrat
Davenport Democrat
Contributed by Cathy_Labath

Description: Various

Date: March Various 1890

Newspaper published in: Davenport

2 March 1890

The amount collected by County Treasurer STRUCK yesterday was $58,038.14 It was a big day for Mr. STRUCK and his deputy, and a busy one too.

The butchers are finding the supply of cattle fair for the season, and the markets are affording about as good living as they have any year at this time.

Frank GLESSLER, the young newspaper man of Clinton who was accidently shot the other day, is very low and small hope is entertained of his recovery.

The asylum at the Rock Island county poor farm is nearly completed and a body of 35 patients are expected soon from the northern insane hospital to occupy it.

A pneumatic conveyor is being put in at WEYERHAUSER & DENKMANN's sawmill. The shavings from the planing mill will be blown to the boiler room to feed the furnaces.

Mr. and Mrs. W.H. FLUKE were handsomely surprised Friday evening by a large company of their friends. The evening was well spent before the self invited guests were ready to go home.

The druggists note a falling off in their sales of quinine, but are still doing a good business in that and kindred drugs. The grippe is slowly going, but new cases are coming to view almost every day; some days several of them.

There are only a few days remaining in which the missing numbers may be put upon the houses of the city that are without them. That is to say, only a few days before suits will be brought against the persons who have neglected that duty.

There were several petty catastrophes Saturday from falling icicles. Every once in a while one would come down with a dull, sickening thud on the top of some man's head as he stood under the eaves of a building. Striking remarks usually followed.

James, son of George MARTIN, died Saturday at his home in Lincoln township, aged 18 years. He was taken ill with the influenza soem time ago, and sank and died under the attack. He was a bright young man and greatly beloved by his numerous friends. The funeral will be held at Long Grove.

Col. STEWART is at Quincy, where there is good prospect that he will succeed in organizing a company for the construction of his pontoon bridge. The only means of crossing the river at that point is afforded by the ferry and the railroad bridge. Teh situation is more favorable that it is here at Davenport.

Superintendent STEWART of the American Express company was in the cityFriday looking over things in anticipation of a handsome new office for the company. A full set of the finest furniture and fixtures will be put in as soon as the office is removed to its new location, which will be in the course of a few months.

Chief of police KESSLER is after the owners of dogs who have failed to pay the tax due from them. The city is a creditor in this account to the amount of several hundred dollars, and she seems to have it. It doesn't pay most folks to keep a dog, but it pays a good deal worse to keep one and try to dodge the license.

It was a thrilling experience which Misses Rebecca and Harriet BERRYHILL had yesterday afternoon while sleighing on Fourth street. Their horse became frightened shortly after crossing Fillmore street and started on a run away. It tore up Fourth with all possible speed and not until GIMBEL's livery stable was reached did the young ladies succeed in bringing the enchanted animal to a stop.

The permanent appointment of Harvey JONES as sheriff will be presented to the board of supervisors at its March meeting and will in all probability be granted, as there is no other candidate as far as heard from. Mr. SUSEMIEHL who has been mentioned as a candidate, asserts most positively that he is not and has not at any time been an applicant, ans has has no petition out
for the appointment.

DAVENPORT, March 1, 1890-To mortgagee of H. DEUTSCH's stock, 111 W. 2nd St. You are hereby notified that the lease now occupied by you expires today and we demand possession of same at once- we will, however, allow you to remain for one week from today.
Prefering to sacrifice the stock of cloaks to removing them we will sell for the (4) days-plush saques and newmarkets, cloth jackets, newmarkets, dress goods, corsets, notions, ladies and misses underwear, in fact everything contained in the building 111, W 2nd St., regardless of value. Goods must go. Price is no object. Mortgage sale of H. DEUTSCH's stock located 111 W. 2nd St. Davenport.

The franchise obtained by Wm. BOWEN, of this city, for putting in an electric light plant in Muscatine has ... to the Citizen's Electric Light and Power company recently organized. The contract and specifications for the plant were completed yesterday. The specifications state that the plant must be ready by June 1. The company proposes to put in their enterprise duplicate boilers, engines, and dynamos that will be prepared for a 24 hours run if necessary. The officers of the company were elected yesterday. They are: N. KUHNEN, Jr., President; M.L. MARKS, secretary; and A.W. VAN DEVEER, treasurer.

3 Mar 1890

Hon. S.R. BARNES and wife of New York and Mrs. F.M. GILETTE of Chicago are visiting their sister, Mrs. R. McDANIEL.

R.J. CLARK, proprietor of Clark's Horse Review of Chicago, one of the leading horse journals of the northwest, is in the city.

Senator Wm. O. SCHMIDT has been at home for a day and returns to Des Moines tonight. He says that the inaugural address is generally regarded as one of the greatest public papers ever presented to the country.

Representative HIPWELL came home from Des Moines Sunday morning, being called by a telegram announcing the illness of his wife. She is much better today, and Mr. HIPWELL will start for Des Moines this evening to resume his work at the capitol.

Rev. Dr. R.B. ABBOTT, president of the Albert Lea college, spent Sunday in Davenport. He occupied the pulpit of the Presbyterian church both morning and evening for his old friend Dr. J.B. LITTLE. President ABBOTT presented the claims of his institution for public attention very strongly.

Wm. P. RHINES, the cyclone pitcher of last year's Davenport ball team and now one of the star pitchers of the Cincinnati team of the American association, is in the city. Mr. RHINES great record of last year has made him famous in the east and west. As a member of the Davenport team he did gallant service. The people are proud of him and glad to see him.

Hon. J.W. STEWART is home again from Colorado. He came in on the forenoon C.B. & Q. train this morning. He went out to Denver a couple of weeks ago the ghost of himself. He put in the time at the foot of Pike's Peak and he comes back as gay and frisky as though he were forty years younger. E.W. BRADY came with him and spent a portion of the time out there with him, and he too feels better and is glad he went. They both think there is no country for recuperation that is one half the equal of Colorado. Of it all they think Colorado Springs is the crowning glory.

Col. Peter G. BALLINGALL, who is also state senator, and who was the chairman of the joint committee to make arrangements for the inauguration of Gov. BATES last Thursday, spent Sunday in Davenport. he made a night run out of Des Moines Saturday, attended the meeting of the Upper Mississippi Turn -Bezirk in Rock Island Sunday afternoon, staying there long enough to capture the next meeting for Ottumwa, and after making calls on Davenport friends left the city at 10 p.m. He was bound for Ottumwa, where the city election takes place today. The senator is loyal to his town as he is to his party.

This morning at 2 o'clock occurred the death of Mrs. Catharine OAKES, wife of Wm. OAKES, at her home 1101 Kent street. She was 60 years of age and had been a resident of Davenport for a great many years having come to this city from New York in 1857. She leaves six children-Samuel, Robert, Mary, wife ofEdward JANKES, Katie, wife of Ernst EINFELDT, Susan, wife of R.H. GRAHAM. For the pat 33 year her husband has been a helper in the shops of the C.R.I. & P. here Mrs. OAKES was a most estimable woman and was highly respected by all who knew her. The funeral announcement appears elsewhere.

The Burlington Lumber company has sold the Kit Carson to McDONALD Bros. of LaCrosse, ans with it their contract for their work for a term of years. The Kit Carson will be commanded by Henry WALKER.

The steamer Silver Crescent was also sold a few days ago to the VAN ZANT & MUSSER Transportation company, the LeClaire Navigation company, and Capt. W.S. MITCHELL of Clinton for $8,000.

On Saturday Representative HIPWELL introcuced his two street paving bills in the interest of public improvement in Davenport and they were referred to the committee on municipal corporations. This committee is composed of Messrs. BEEM, RICHMAN, HIPWELL, CLARK, JOHNSON of Dubuque, HORNISH, DAYTON, GARDINER, DENT, LANE, CHASE, DUKE, TOWNSEND, YOUNG, BLYTHE, ECKLES and SMITH of Mitchell. Mr. HIPWELL will use all his influence to have an early and favorable report made by teh committee and he expects to see this accomplished very soon. Then he will continue his efforts until the provisions of the bills take the form of law.

Meeting of the board of directors tomorrow at 4:45 p.m.
The gospel meeting yesterday was attended by 42 young men.
A number of new periodicals were added to the reading room last month through the kindness of friends. The penmanship class completed its course Friday evening. The members in appreciation of the kindness of their teacher, Prof. C.E. WEBBER, presented him with a copy of "Recent Italian Art". A lecture is to be given Tuesday the 11th inst. on "Game and Hunting beyond the Rockies" by George H. YOUNG and J.W. BALLORD.

4 March 1890

- Geo GRUBER of Muscatine is spending the day in the city.
- Mrs. M.C. BENTON of Johnstown, Pa. is visiting her old friends, Mr. and Mrs. G. TREFTS.
- Rev. E.C. PAGET of Muscatine was in the city today, the guest of Bishop PERRY.- W.D. PETERSON is off to New York and the east on his regular purchasing trip. It will last a month or thereabout.
- Rev. Albert NODLER of Keokuk will arrive in the city this week to take his new position as professor at St. Ambrose seminary.
- General Agent Geo. F. WHITE of the Milwaukee, accompanied by his wife and daughter, Florence, is on the road to Galveston, Texas for a stay of three weeks. This is the season when that region is at its best and they all anticipate a delightful visit.
- James P. DONAHUE is at St. Augustine, Fla. today, but by tomorrow will probably be away down upon the Suwanee river, unless the news of his cousin's death reaches him and causes him to retrace his steps and change his plans.
- Frank KRETSCHMER of Dubuque, an erstwhile journalist, is now the special agent of the Interstate ommission with headquarters at Washington. He probably makes more money than he would have been making had he gone to Dakota to start a newspaper.
- Bishop WALKER, who has been visiting at the home of Bishop PERRY for the past 10 days, will leave tomorrow morning for Pullman, Ill., where he will see to the finishing touches on his new cathedral car, now under construction for him at the shops of the Pullman Palace Car Co. The car will be magnificent, and will be completed in about two months. It will probably be dedicated with elaborate ceremonies and services.
- Mrs. BREWSTER, of New York City, is the guest of her old-time friend, and schoolmate, Mrs. BELT. Mrs. BREWSTER's father, Judge Joseph WILLIAMS, and Mrs. BELT's father, Judge GREENE, were together members of the supreme court of Iowa from 1847 to 1855. Mrs. BREWSTER's two daughters, accompanied by Lieut. RAIMEY, of the United States Navy, husband of the elder of the two, passed through Cedar Rapids last week on their way to Japan. Lieut. RAIMEY was on the ill-fated Trenton, in the terrible Samoan disaster.-Cedar Rapids Gazette.

Louis KARWATH, son of Henry KARWATH and a well-known young man, met with an accident at Library hall yesterday afternoon which had a good chance to be a serious thing for him. He was on a step ladder about ten feet above the floor, when in some manner he happened to fall. He came down as hard as the man we read about who fell all the way from the top of the wall, struck full on his right shoulder, and dislocated it in a painful manner. He was given prompt attention and will be able to see the pictures before the exhibition closes; but it is a wonder that he was not killed as he seemed to be falling upon his head.

HEESCHEN & FREESE have removed from 104 west Third street to 307 Brady street, where they will open with a new spring stock of the latest styles and patterns. Their reputation as merchant tailors and increase of business have compelled them to find larger quarters.

The C.R.I. & P. railway have reduced the rate from Davenport to all Missouri river points to $8 for the first class limited tickets, through tickets to points beyond in proportion. Rates to St. Paul and Minneapolis remain $9 first class-$7 second class.

6 Mar 1890

Frank GEISSLER, city editor of the Morning News of Clinton, died at his home in that city yesterday morning after a determined struggle against great odds. He was wounded Jan. 18 by the accidental discharge of his own revolver, and became steadily worse till the end. He was not yet 20 years of age, but a bright young man who had a promising future before him. He graduated from the Clinton high school last June, and soon after began his engagement with the News. He leaves a widowed mother and several sisters. The funeral will be held Friday afternoon.

Frank, the 9-year old son of Mr. and Mrs. E.J. DAUGHERTY of Eldridge, died this morning, after an illness of about three weeks. Some time ago he received an injury in the region of the spine from too great exertion in lifting. He grew worse from this trouble, and it finally caused his death. He suffered a great deal of pain, and his illness was a distressing one to his parents and friends. He was a bright little fellow and will be sadly missed and mourned. The funeral will be held from the family home tomorrow at 1 o'clock.

- Dean HALE of the Cathedral will preach at Trinity church, Muscatine, Friday evening.
- Miss Alice BENTLEY, an operator in the Central telephone office for several years has resigned.
- S.H. VELIE, vice president of Deere & Company, Moline, sails from New York for Europe next week.
- Col T.H. STANTON, paymaster U.S. A., came down from Chicago yesterday to pay off the employees at the arsenal.
- W.E. TOWNSEND, a prominent real estate dealer of Minneapolis, arrived last evening and is a guest at the Kimball.
- Mrs. Frank W. EICHOFF and her sister, Miss Clara SCHMIDT, are visiting friends in this city from their home in Muscatine.

- There was more business than usual about the police court this morning. James McCARTHY, for beating DODD's restaurant and disturbing the peace there, was fined $30 and costs. The offense of the disturbance was ignored and the prosecution brought under the state law. The prisoner is in jail.
- Arthur W. ROONEY, a compatriot of Mr. McCARTHY's, was fined a similar amount for having a fight with a friend. The other fellow got away, but Arthur was more valorous and now languishes in consequence of it. John ADAMS and Wm FLYNN were given five days each, Michael MURPHY 15, John OLSON 20 and Wm. CLARK 30 days, all as vagabonds.

7 Mar 1890


Trinity church of Rock Island has been undergoing renovation and remodeling to the extent of $4,000, according to the plans of E.S. HAMMATT of this city, and is now nearly completed. It will be opened for a divine service on the coming Sunday, with sermons both morning and evening by the Rt. Rev. Alexander BURGESS, bishop of that diocese. As it now stands the appearance of the interior is vastly improved.


Dr. J.S. McCORD of Dubuque telegraphed today from that place that he will be here Sunday to occupy the pulpit of the First M.E. Church, in place of the Rev. U.Z. GILMER. The members of his old congregation will be glad of the opportunity to see and hear him again in his old pulpit.

- Prof. C.D. JAMESON of the State University, department of engineering, spent the day in the city.
- Mrs. D.J. THAYER, daughter of Hon. S.H. MALLORY of Chariton, Ia. is in the city visiting her cousin, Mrs. P.C. CORBETT at Kemper Hall.
- Mrs. E.M. WHITE has returned from Manchester, Ia, where she has been attending her parents silver wedding anniversary.
- Mrs. F.F. DOWNS and Miss Rena GALLOWAY left last night for Iowa City, where they attended the graduating exercises of the dental department of the University Saturday evening. Mrs. DOWN's brother, George TIFFANY, graduates on that evening.
- John B. MASON, for many years a Davenport boy but now foreman of the composing room of the Ft. Madison Democrat has just been elected alderman of the first ward of that place. He is the only republican in the whole city council. It will be lonesome, but if he hadn't been the best republican in all Ft. Madison he would never have got there.
- The Irish American Societies of Kansas City held a grand celebration last evening in honor of the 112 anniversary of Robert EMMET. One of the invited guests and also the orator of the evening was A.P. McGUIRK of this city. He told the story of the brief but eventful life of Emmet. At the close of his oration, the Kansas City Journal says, Mr. McGUIRK was greeted with vociferous applause by the large audience.
There will be public auction on every Saturday hereafter at LORTON Bro's. stable. Horses, harness and buggies will be sold at low rates. Persons having any of the above for sale can leave them at LORTON Bro's. stables.


Suit was begun in the district court today by Mrs. M.C. MOORE, through her attorney, A.P. McGUIRK, against J.W. BUCKMAN for slander. Mrs. MOORE statesthat she is a married woman, 44 years of age and has resided in this county since her birth; that she has always borne a good name for honesty, truthfulness and good morals. She claims to be engaged in teaching school. Mrs. MOORE alleges that she was slandered by BUCKMAN by him stating in the presence of others among whom was R.E. EDWARDS and E.SNOW of LeClaire, that she forged the name of C. BAIRD to a certain promissory note, and that she was a forger. Mrs. MOORE claims that by reason of the use of such slanderous and malicious language that she has been greatly damaged in her good name and reputation. She asks damages in the sum of $5,000 and costs of suit.

9 March 1890

- Mrs. Will. H. FORREST will sing an offertory solo at Trinity church this morning.
- Miss Maud MARTIN has returned from Chicago where she has been for the past month on a visit to friends.
- H.L. MERRILL of Portage, Wis., is in the city for a visit of a few days with his brother-in-law, Joe HAINSWORTH.
- Job SUTTON of Pleasant Valley has been appointed by Sheriff JONES, turn key at the jail, in place of Jack KEATING, resigned.
- Mrs. D.J. THAYER, daughter of Hon. S.H. MALLORY of Chariton, Ia., is in the city visiting her cousin, Mrs. P.C. CORBETT, at Kemper Hall.
- Dr. J.P. CRAWFORD has been selected one of the five judges to pass upon the applicants for diplomas at the coming close of the term of the medical department at the Iowa State University.
- W.F. ROSS denies with both hands upraised that he has of ever had any intention of being connected in any way with any new mutual insurance company, as some of the papers over the river are trying to make him think.
- The entire family of Rev. U.Z. GILMER has been sick with the diphtheria, some of them dangerously, but all of them are now on the mend and practically out of danger. Mr. GILMER is still unable to leave his bed, but his joy at the recovery of his family is sufficiently inspiring to help him recover very fast.


President and General Superintendent, C.J. IVES of the Burlington, Cedar Rapids & Northern R.R., leaves this week for Mexico in company with his family and a few friends. It will be a delightful trip of travel and recreation and the pleasantest season of the year has been chosen for making it. The party will make the journey in President IVES' new private car fresh from the shops and one of the completest coaches on wheels-sleeper, diner, parlor car, office and library. - It has been named the Ellen DALE, a happy thought of President IVES, that being the most musical name his memoryknows-his wife's maiden name. The entire force of the B.C.R.& N. R.R. will lift their hats as the car passes along the line. They hold Mrs. IVES to the highest regard for her ever thoughtful acts of charity and kindness. She is the soul of St. Luke's hospital at Cedar Rapids and is enlisted for life in other good causes.

Recent discoveries at Dubuque have developed the location of over a million pounds of the richest of ore. The quantity now in sight is estimated to be worth over $25,000.

Mrs. Dr. A.H. McCANDLESS of Rock Island, has been exceedingly ill, four physicians being called in consultation Friday evening. She is somewhat better but still far from being out of danger.

Many compliments for Father HUNTINGTON's address of Friday evening are to be heard. He spoke good plain truths in the way honest men like to hear them spoken, whether they fully endorse them or not, it was an able address.

Since the house of detention was put in operation over here we have a good many less toughs of Rock Island and Moline who used to come over regularly to drink, fight and be fined. The morale of those cities has not been so much improved by the change.

A dangerously well made counterfeit $5 gold piece is afloat in some parts of Iowa. The Dubuque Times notes the presence of the unwelcome visitor in Dubuque, describing it thus: "In weight and color it is nearly correct. The ring of the coin is a trifle hollow."

Supt SCHNITGER of the Holmes syndicate, is home from Chicago where he was told by the superintendent of the company's power system that the new steam motor, of which we have been hearing, is a complete success on he lines of that place. The motor will be seen here before too very long.

Two business blocks already commenced and two times that many to be begun as winter ends-that is the situation here in Davenport just now. These other towns around the country will need to get a patent lever movement to catch up with our end of the procession.

12 March 1890


That live bird championship match between John RACSTER and F.O. DAVIS will be shot at the grounds of the Forester Gun Club on Friday at 2 o'clock.

A marriage license was issued this forenoon to Noe JARGER and Clara BelleSCHEICK of Henry county, Ill. The couple were married later by Justice KAUFMANN.

Wm. TYLER was up this forenoon before Justice KAUFMANN on the charge of vagrancy. He had a coat in his possession when he was arrested which had been stolen though. TYLER claimed he bought it. He was sent up for 10 days.

This afternoon Justice KAUFMANN drove into the country to the residence of Gustav ECKERMAN on Utica Ridge where he performed the ceremony that made Henry LAGE and Laura ECKERMAN man and wife.

Minnie McCLOSKEY of Clinton has been sentenced to a term of 18 months in the Anamosa penitentiary for persisting in maintaining a disorderly house. There are some abandoned cases in this city that might be reached by the same vigorous treatment.

Articles of incorporation of the East Moline improvement company were filed for record today with Recorder SUSEMIEHL. The incorporators are George D. WALKER, William CLENDENIN, John D. CADY, F.W. GOULD, W.J. ENSTIKIN and W.C. PUTNAM, all residents of Moline except Mr. PUTNAM, whose home is this city. The company is stocked at $12,000, but that amount may be increased to not more than $50,000. Business is to begin as soon as $8,000 of the capital stock shall have been paid up in full. The affairs of the corporation shall be managed by a board of directors, which comprises the incorporators named, and the present officers are George W. WALKER, president, John D. CADY, vice president, William CLENDENIN secretary and treasurer. The corporate life of the organization begins with today and is to continue for 20 years. This company is organized for the purpose of laying out and opening up to settlement a new town about a mile and a half east of the present city of Moline. The tract of land on which operations are to be commenced comprises 80 acres. It lies contiguous to the lines of the Burlington, Milwaukee, and Rock Island railroads, and a station will soon mark the spot where the tourist to the new town will alight from the cars and fall into the out-stretched arms of the eager bus'man. Adjoining the tract on the east is another body of land which is the individual enterprise of Mr. WALKER. He proposes to lay it out into a pleasant little park with walks, lakes, trees, seats, swans, notices to keep off the grass, and all the adjuncts of the well regulated park and conventional pleasure ground. The projectors of this scheme intend to push their enterprise for all it is worth, and they think they will soon have one of the neatest suburban towns to be found in all this western country. They came over to this side of the Mississippi to incorporate because the laws of the state of Illinois are inimical to corporations that are formed for the purpose of dealing in or acquiring and holding land in any form. They were unable to incorporate for their purpose in that state.

17 Mar 1890

Death Sunday Evening of Dr. John J. Olshausen, After a Long Life of Usefulness.

The death of Dr. John J. OLSHAUSEN occurred Sunday evening at his home, 527 Scott street. Although he had been known to be in rather slender health for some time, this event was not expected by his friends so soon. Dr. OLSHAUSEN was born in Schleswig Holstein, in the town of Eutin, in June, 1818. He studied medicine in the best schools afforded to him in that county, graduating with full honors from the medical college at Koenigsberg. He came to America in 1835, and visited it several times afterward removing to this country in the forties. He first settled in St. Louis, which was his home for several years. He was married there, about 1850, to Miss Margaret E. SCHEPMAN. They removed to Davenport in 1854, and this city has been his home ever since. Dr. OLSHAUSEN was in active practice almost to the day of his death. He was highly esteemed for his learning and skill, and had a large patronage. He possessed many friends among the people here, won to him as much by the professional services he rendered. Although opposed with a general debility and weakness that was growing upon him he continued to follow his chosen avocation till a sudden and unusually severe attack of weakness brought his long and useful live to a close. Eight children were born to Dr. and Mrs. OLSHAUSEN, of whom four are now living-Mrs. Dr. BERNBAZIL? of Rock Island, Walter and Julia, at home, and Theodore B. OLSHAUSEN, married and living in Davenport. The funeral will be held Tuesday afternoon from the family residence at 2 o'clock.

Richard B. HOLMAN, as stated by the Des Moines papers died there last week and was buried there last Friday. Mr. HOLMAN had many friends in this city, which was for some time his home in the years that are gone. He was engaged in the drug business here, kept the drug store on the corner now occupied by Durfee's jewelry store, and later was a partner with J.H. HARRISON. He was a pleasant, upright, popular gentleman, and the intelligence of his death is sad news to his acquaintances here.

The regular Monday morning docket occupied the time of the police court this morning. It seldom fails. When it does Sunday is a most uninteresting and eventless day.
Gus NELSON of Rock Island was fined $1 and costs for a disturbance of he peace. Gus went down into Bucktown and fell among Philistines. He claimed
after his arrest that he was making a fuss because he had been knocked down and robbed by a couple of men who assaulted him on the corner of Second and Iowa streets. Two men were arrested on suspicion but he refused or was unable to swear to their identity, though he had said the he could recognize the men as soon as he saw them. It is said that another man made a statement to the effect that he himself assaulted NELSON, but if so he escaped arrest.

Wm. PORTER and Chas. DITTMER were fined $30 and costs each for assault. In default of cash they went onto the stone pile for 20 days each. There was no doubt about the assault in their case, but there was no robbery.

Katie CLEVELAND and Nora WILSON, a couple of colored damsels from Rock Island, were sent up for 30 days each on the charge of vagrancy.

Bud and John ALLEN and Harry TOKER, all tough darkeys, were brought in from the vicinity of Second street and sent up as vagabonds to serve out old terms. They all had sentences hanging over their heads, and could have been held on almost any charge of misdemeanor that might have been brought against them.

The first convention of the Epworth league of the Davenport district of the Upper Iowa conference of the M.E. church will be held in the M.E. church at DeWitt, Iowa, next Tuesday and Wednesday. Rev. T.E. FLEMING, D.D., of this city, is a member of the board of control. Wednesday afternoon Rev. U.Z. GILMER of the First M.E. church of this city will address the convention on "The perils of youth and how to meet them," and that evening Rev. T.E. FLEMING will deliver an address on "The leadership and the Epworth League", Rev. J.S. McINTYRE of the Fourteenth street church will offer evening prayer.

KNAPP, STOUT & co. have decided to remove their big sawmill to Ft. Madison from its present location at St. Louis.

Old newspapers 25cts per hundred at this office.

Knox hats, spring styles at HAYES & JOENS.

Mose DEBARR Laid Out by the Hoof of a Playful Horse
Mose DEBARR, a colored man, who is well known all over the city, was kicked by a horse this forenoon in a manner that may prove fatal. He was leading a horse belong to the proprietor of a Second street saloon when the animal playfully launched out at him with his heels. One hoof caught the hapless man on the right lower jaw. The blow landed with terrific force, and the victim let go the halter strap and fell in his tracks. When he was picked up he was unconscious, Dr. CRAWFORD was summoned and did what he could to relieve the sufferer, but the outcome of the affair is at present rather doubtful. The jaw was broken where it was struck, and the face was badly battered elsewhere. Consciousness partially returned, but there is ground
for believing that injury has been done to the base of the brain. In that case the man's death may ensue. Time is needed to tell the story.

- Orrin B. ANDREWS of Omaha, is in this city.
- Benj. FEADER, who opened the Burtis Opera house in 1872 with a violin concert, is visiting friends in this city.
- Invitations are out for the wedding of Miss Kate ATKINSON and D.K. SMITH next Wednesday evening.
- I. MEYER leaves this evening for Chicago, where he has been engaged by Siegel & Co to travel for them.

Horses clipped at GIMBLE's stable.

Latest style spring hats at BUSSE's.

Those children's carriages must go in 8 days, we need the room. Come and get a big bargain at HOLBROOK's.

18 Mar 1890

Emil LUCHT and H. LORENZEN leave this evening for Seattle, Washington.

Auguste NOLTE of Duluth, is visiting Mr. and Mrs. REIPE.

Bishop PERRY goes to Cedar Rapids tomorrow where he holds confirmation services in Grace church.

Judge and Mrs. J.W. DRURY have left for their country residence, Hillside Grange, Rock Island County, Ill., where they will spend the summer.-Chicago Inter-Ocean.

W.W. FOLTZ, who has for many years been city ticket agent of the Rock Island road in Chicago, has resigned and will go to Florida to engage in orange raising. His successor is G.F. LEE.

Judge J.S. EMERY of Lawrence, Kan., a member of the Deep Water special auditing and finance committee, arrived last evening and is the guest of Dr. W.O. KULP. The committee meets today in Chicago.

Mr. H.N. STONE arrived in our city today with an experienced force to commence work on his new directory for 1890. Mr. STONE needs no introduction to our citizens as a directory publisher as his last book was the best directory that we ever had.

C.S. WATKINS spent today in the proper and interesting celebration of the 64th anniversary of his birth. He was born March 18, 1826 about 90 days ahead of the first American railway; was 35 years a resident of Davenport and is now whiling away his later years among the foot-hills of the California mountains, enjoying the fruits of his labor and wondering what he left his fine Scott County farm for.

C.J. SEYMOUR of Clinton was bitten by a big Newfoundland dog yesterday. The animal had every appearance of being affected with rabies. It was killed but not before it has bitten two other dogs.

The Rock Island board of education have accepted the plans of J.W. ROSS of this city for the new stone school building which is to be erected there this summer. Mr. ROSS will also be the supervising architect in charge of the work.

Mrs.Longshore POTTS, M.D.'s certificate as a legal practictioner of medicine in this state was issued by the state board of medical examiners in 1888 and was recorded in Scott county recorder's office in October the same year.

Yesterday morning the big elevator in the factory of the Moline Wagon company fell from the fourth story to the basement, carrying down with it Herman HEINZ and August JACABKY. Both men were badly hurt but not fatally. The rope is supposed to have broken, and there were no safety catches to hold the falling platform.

Salesmen of experience wanted, one speaking German as well as English preferred. call before 9 a.m. Wednesday or Thursday. A.J. SMITH & SON.

Drs. KULP and ADAMS have removed their offices from over SCHMIDT's store into the new SCHMIDT building.

The above reward will be paid for the recovery on or before April 10th of the body of Miss Jennie WARREN, who was drowned at Hampton, Ill., Feb. 1st, 1890.
Charles SIKES hampton, Ill., March 17, 1890

Mrs. Mary ROEBUCK died about 4 o'clock this morning at her room to the rear of her little second hand store, 614 Brady street, aged 65 years. She was a victim of the grippe and instead of recovering steadily declined to death. She has lived in this city for a long time, and has been in America ever since she came here from England, a bride of 16 years. She was married three times. Her first two husbands died and she was divorced from the third. She left quite a little sum of money on deposit in the Davenport National Bank, besides some other small possessions. She has not a living relative, and her will, made some time ago, provides that the residue, after paying her funeral expenses, shall to to the church of her childhood in England. The
funeral will be held at 2 o'clock Wednesday from the place named.

The close of St. Patrick's day was celebrated by the Hibernians in becoming style at their hall last evening. A social was held in the forepart of the evening and later on a bountiful supper was served. Fred R. SHARON was toastmaster for the occasion and briefly addressed the members on "The Day We Celebrate". John J RYAN responded to the toast, "Ireland"; Capt. GREALISH to "Our Irish Soldiers"; A.P. McGUIRK to "The Parliamentary Party"; E.M. SHARON to "Our Societies"; and P.J. HAGERTY to "Irish Exiles". Remarks were made also by several otehrs. Fully 150 Hibernians enjoyed this festive occasion.

20 Mar 1890

- S.B. THATCHER, commercial agent of the M.K. & T., with headquarters at Hannibal, is in the city to-day.
- Geo. F. WHITE came home with his family today from their delightful vacation down at Galveston Beach. Mr. WHITE is enthusiastic over thatcountry as a place of residence and a point for business. He got prices on home property down there also, but will not buy. He made up his mind to that as soon as the prices were named to him.

Albert J. PERRY, a young man well known about the three cities, died Wednesday night at the home of his father, Sherman PERRY, 603 East Seventeenth street. He was about 22 years of age, and was a printer by trade. He has been employed in the office of The Democrat and in the other printing houses of this city. When he was taken sick about six weeks ago, he was working in Moline. His malady was the grippe, which soon emerged into quick consumption. He was a promising young man and his loss is regretted.

At 1 o'clock this afternoon the team of Adolph ROLTE, a Blue Grass farmer, ran away on Second street between Fillmore and Division streets. The horses ran a block and a half when the wagon turned over and the man was dragged under it for another block. His right ear was nearly cut off and he was otherwise injured. Dr. HOEPFNER attended him. He will be disabled for a long time.

A dispatch from Chicago today says that the case of Patrick CROWE, formerly of this place, who, two weeks shot Officer BRISCOE and ENVILLE and Citizen COLE, was continued today until March 29, as the officers were unable to appear in court. Both of them will recover from the effects of their wounds.

Practical carpet layer, makes a specialty of fitting and laying new carpets. Also expert at taking up, cleaning and relaying old carpets. Cisterns cleaned, etc. All work first class and satisfaction guaranteed. Leave your order at above.

A CLOTHING THIEF CAUGHTJohn OLSEN, alias EVANS, a tramp, was sent up for 30 days at the police court this morning for the larceny of a coat valued at $9.50 from the store of GEERTZ & WITT. He was caught on top of a box car on the levee yesterday afternoon with his spoils in his possession. He had been out of jail only one day when the theft was committed having been sent up for 20 days about three weeks ago for being found in another box car without visible means of support. During yesterday a coat was taken from the store of Charles SCHAKE, on West Second street, and one from a store in Moline. From the actions of the prisoner and other circumstances it is supposed that he is the man who took them also.

24 Mar 1890


Death of Peter KERKER Yesterday Morning-A Brief Life Sketch
The last summons came to Peter KERKER yesterday morning at 8 o'clock. Although he has been confined to his home since the 23d of last December, the end came suddenly and unexpectedly. Absent members of the family were hastily summoned, but ere all of them had reached the beside his spirit fled. Hundreds of his friends will be saddened on receipt of this intelligence. As a hale and hearty old man, a pleasant acquaintance, a true friend, he will not soon be forgotten. The cause of death was general debility, aggravated by a bad attack of influenza. The deceased was born in Bavaria, Feb. 12, 1832, and landed on the American shore in 1838 at Baltimore. He first came to Davenport in 1840, but did not remain. In the early 40's he was acting as baker and confectioner on the Mississippi river steamers. In 1842 he was united in marriage to Miss Clara SOMMERS, in Peoria, Ill. A couple of years later he located at Weston, mo., then the great supply station for trains to the far west. Here he did a large business in this line, and many an emigrant bound for California carried with him a store of good things prepared by Peter KERKER. During the Mexican war he was also engaged in the work of supplying the American forces. But Mr. KERKER saw the civil war looming up in the distance and realized as did many others in teh early 50's that it was inevitable. If his faith in this fact was verified, the place where he then lived, on the border line between the north and suth, would be the seat of war, the place of conflict between the opposing forces. Consequently he cast about him for another habitat, and found no city was offered greater promise than Davenport. Accordingly in '52 he removed to this place, where he was engaged in the baker and confectionary business for some time. Many years ago he
retired from active business life, and since then has enjoyed superb good health up to the commencement of his last illness. Mr. KERKER was the father of nine children, five of whom, with the widow, live to mourn his death. They are Henry W., George W., Louis, Mrs. Phil. MORGAN and Mrs. James T. HAYES. The funeral services will take place tomorrow morning at nine o'clock at St. Marguerite's cathedral, the family and friends leaving the residence, at Eighth and Farnam streets, at 8:30. The pall bearers will be A.J. LeCLAIRE, Paul DEUTSCH, A. WOEBER, E. GRACE, A. STEFFEN, John HILL, A. WALD, and J. BARTEMEIER. Interment will be in St. Marguerite's cemetery.

Hundreds Gather to Pay Respects to the Memory of Our Distinguished Citizen.

The funeral of the late Hon. James T. LANE was held yesterday afternoon from his home, 331 Mississippi avenue. It was attended by as large a concourse of people as ever gathered to pay the last rites of affection and respect to any citizen of Davenport. The house was filled with the sorrowing relatives and intimate friends of the family and the deceased, and the grounds and streets were thronged upon all sides. The services at the house were conducted by Rev.D.C. GARRETT according to the form of service of the Episcopal church. Messrs. KNOCKE, DOWNER, ATKINSON, and PECK sang with touching effect those beautiful hymns, "I would not live alway" and "Jesus, Lover of my Soul" and the service was concluded by a personal tribute from Rev. J.S. McINTYRE, pastor of the Fourteenth street M.E. church. The floral offerings were exquisite, and testified the affection felt for the departed one. The casket was borne to the hearse by J.J. RICHARDSON, E.S. CROSSETT, J.E. LINDSAY, E.E. COOK, Geo F. HUBBELL and Geo. W. CABLE. The hearse was escorted by Sir Knights A.R. DIXON, F.H. GRIGGS, W.F. PECK, Jarvis WHITE, W.K. WHITE, and W.F. FIDLAR, members of St. Simon of Cyrene commandery, No. 9 Knight Templars, who acted as the pall bearers at the grave. The line of carriages that followed the remains to Oakdale was one of the longest ever seen here. Arrived there the Knights Templars took charge of the services, which were conducted by the prelate of the commandery, Rev. J.S. McINTYRE, assisted by Eminent Commander A.W. CANTWELL. About a hundred sir knights, both from this city and from Evarts commandery of Rock Island, formed the triangle about the grave. Flowers were everywhere. Teh grave was decked with evergreens and the sods that had been removed from it were banked with solid masses of the rarest and most beautiful blossoms. The same choir sang at the grave, "I cannot Always Trace the Way," " Lead Kindly Light," Pleyl's hymn and "Nearer My God, to Thee," all of them being the numbers of the Knights Templars ritual. The exercises at the grave were of the most tender and affecting sort and every detail that could rob the tomb of its terror had been lovingly attended to. It was sad and affecting but the solemnity and the grandeur of the occasion rose above the bereavement and desolation of a happy home, and it brought healing and comfort to the wounded hearts.

Saturday night Ferdinand GROFF, a Rock Island saloon keeper, went out on a celebration. He fell in with Katie CLEVELAND and Laura OWENS, two notorious colored women of note about the three cities, the latter in our hosue of detention a few days ago, and between them they relieved him of a roll of $200. He notified the police this morning and the damsels were arrested tas they were about taking the train for Europe to spend it. They had made away with $20 of the bundle, but the rest was recovered. They will probably go over the road now, and the three cities will breathe freer.

25 Mar 1890

At his home in Pleasant Valley this morning occurred the death of Ezekiel DAVIS. He was one of the pioneers of that part of the county and one of the best citizens it contained. He was born in Pennsylvania, 1801, and his early life was spent there. He came west when a young man bringing his family with him, as many another mover did in those laborious days. He first settled in Rock Island, reaching there in 1845, but two years later removed to Pleasant Valley township, this county. He was greatly respected and esteemed by his friends and neighbors. The funeral will be held Thursday at 11 o'clock from the home of A.B. ALLEN in Pleasant Valley, the son-in-law with whom the deceased has made his home for some time.

Auction sale at C.L. RICHARD on Brady street, between 7th and 8th. Parlor and bedroom sets, dining-room and kitchen furniture, pianos, etc. Wednesday morning at 10 o'clock, March 26. N. VAN TUYL, Auctioneer.

HUBBELL & HUBBELL state for publication that they have not been retained as attorneys for Dr. REID.

A marriage license was issued today to:

Suit has been entered by BEIDERBECKE & MILLER against A.H. DORMAN for the sum of $1,606.59, with attorneys' fees and costs of suit.

Gen. Robert C. SCHENCK whose recent death in Washington has been noted by us, was an uncle of Alderman SCHENCK and W.C. SCHENCK of Muscatine.

A citizen of West Seventh street has laid a new sidewalk, but for some reason unexplained has placed it inside his front fence. It marks a new departure in sidewalk construction in this city.

John LUEBBE is adorning his property on the corner of Harrison and Third streets with a substantial new brick walk. It supersedes an old one of planks that were worn out.

Fifteen Young Ladies Enter Their Novitiate at Mercy Hospital
Last Wednesday, March 19, the day on which the Catholic church celebrates the feast of St. Joseph, the ceremony of reception took place at Mercy hospital. On account of its occurring during the Lenten season, no invitations were issued; yet the chapel was thronged with pleased spectators who witnessed the touching rite by which 15 young maidens renounced the world, with all its innocent joys and pleasures, and consecrated their young lives to the service of God and their fellow men. In the absence of the bishop through sickness, Father SCHULTE presided at the altar. He delivered a most impressive service in the grave and earnest manner which has rendered him popular with his parishoners. Of the 15 new sisters who were admitted to their novitiate of two years, but one or two have reached the age of 20, while one has not yet completed her 17th year. Their names in religion are Sisters Barbara, Catharine, Clare, Petronilla, Dorothea, matilda, Gertrude, Blanche, Adelaide, Fidella, Colette, Alexia, Rose, Irene and Veronica.

Mrs. Sarah CAVERLY died at 2 a.m. yesterday in Moline at the residence of her son Hirschl, of pneumonia, after an illness of but a few days. She was 64 years of age last month. Of late Mrs. CAVERLY had been living with her son Ralph in Davenport. Not long since she went to Moline to be of assistance during the illness of the wife of her son, Hirschl. She was herself taken down on Friday last and died as above stated. Mrs. CAVERLY leaves eight children, Vesta F., Ralph, and Thomas of Davenport, Mrs. Maggie McLEAY and Hirschl of Moline, Mrs. Mercie SMITH of Brown's Valley, Minn., Mrs. Kate COOK of Colfax, Wash., and Edwin.

Mr. R.B. CAMPBELL, for several years past superintendent of the Chicago and Council Bluffs division of the Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul railway, has left the service of the above company to accept the management of extensive railway industries at Jamaica Island. His successor, Mr. C.A. GOODNOW, formerly superintendent of the Dubuque division, arrived in the city yesterday in his special car familiarizing himself with his new territory.

26 Mar 1890

Frank NADLER of Rock Island is feeling just now as though he could afford to give his salary and everything else to the poor in case he is elected collector over there, or in case he is not. The occasion of all this reckless abandonment of joy is the arrival of a small but very interesting daughter.

Samples of the new patent process coffee, made of flour and browned to the color of the roasted berry, have been received by our grocers here. The imitation is so close that experts with good eyes are fooled on the stuff. It is used as an adulterant. As such it is as harmless as any such thing can be, but it isn't coffee.

Col. WHITTEMORE has accorded permission to the German veterans who meet here
Aug. 16 to 20 to hold exercises in the national cemetery and to decorate the graves of the soldier dead.

The lecture of Mrs. LONGSHORE-POTTS was largely attended last evening, and was replete with wit and good common sense. The doctor is an out-and-out female suffragist and believes that under no circumstances shoud a democrat marry a republican.

Henry ROSS, whose sentence of 30 days for larceny would have expired tomorrow, has had an additional 30 days imposed upon him by Justice KAUFMANN for the theft of a harness. He will therefore remain at home another month.

Black lace and drapery nets, the best goods, prettiest patterns, and choicest variety. M. ARNOLD.

Wait for the opening of the MURRAY shoe house.
The C.R.I. & P. pay car, Gazelle, came in this morning from the west. She looked as though the train robbers had her. Paymaster BOGGS explained that he had not been held up, but had inst. merely been wrecked. Sunday morning he ran through a switch a little this side of Stockbridge. The car went over on her side, knocking out a few panes of glass, and doing some minor damage to the roof, side and platforms. The only person hurt was Master Allen BOGGS, a rising railroad man of about eight summers, who was out with his pa for a trip. He got his head cut open, but it is growing together again. The Gazelle went on in to Chicago today and Coach 22 will do her work till she is repaired.


About 5 o'clock this morning an old man, wearing a cap and blue overalls, entered the dooryard of Daniel GOULD, and deliberately took possession of the clothesline that was stretched across the yard in its accustomed place. Mr. GOULD would not have cared but little for the loss of the line if it were not for the fact that it was full of good clothes at the time. The family have some garments left so they will not be compelled to go tho bed, but the theft is something of an annoyance nevertheless. It is suggested that the gray beard that the man wore is a disguise. The police are hard at work on the case.


Word comes from Lincoln township of a distressing incident. A 9-year old son of Hans BALHOW, while playing with his younger brother, a hatchet being used between them, was struck on the hand with the tool and badly mutilated. The second finger was completely severed and the third and fourth fingers nearly so. The wound bled badly but was dressed adn will result in nothing more serious than a hand maimed for life.

28 Mar 1890

At the residence of the bride's sister, Mrs. A.F. TERVIS, Lexington, Neb., Thursday, March 13, occurred the marriage of John J. SHAY of Congdon, Neb., and Miss Annie HORSTMANN of this city, Rev. M.S. SAGE officiating. The ceremony was witnessed by numerous friends of the bride and groom adn was succeeded by a bounteous wedding feast. Upon the conclusion of these festivities the happy couple left for their home at Wood River, where Mr. SHAY has been for some time the foreman of one of the largest ranches in the country. The day was concluded with a hop which was enjoyed by the guests well into the morning hours. The many friends of the bride in this city will follow her to her new home with a thousand good wishes.

For Aldermen
First Ward-A. C. BEYER
Second Ward-Gustav ECKHARDT
Third Ward-Otto KLUG
Fourth Ward-Frank L. DODGE
Fifth Ward-D.C. LEONARD
Sixth Ward-Lemuel PARKHURST

The Members of the G.O.P. are Reluctant to Run for Office
The proceedings of the various republican primaries are submitted below. Comment is unnecessary.
The caucus was called to meet at the "usual place", though where that is nobody knows. When the time arrived there was not the necessar number present to act as chairman and secretary.
Read First Ward.
J.P. VAN PATTEN was elected chairman and Louis Karwath secretary. No one could be found who would accept the nomination for alderman so the matter was placed in the hands of the ward committee.
Delegates to the city convention were elected as follows: J.P. VAN PATTEN, John H. HOEHN, Louis FELD, John F. NEWBERN. Members of the central committee-J.P. VAN PATTEN. Ward Committee-J.P. VAN PATTEN, Louis FELD, H.L. BAWDEN, J.F. NEWBERN, John FARBER.
S.F. SMITH was elected chairman and Walter Chambers Secretary.
The 18 men present went to work to see who wouldn't be the candidate for alderman. The names of O.S. McNEIL and Mnore EBI were presented. Two ballots resulted in a tie, and a rising vote showed the sides marshalled 9 to 9. A motion to make the nomination of O.S. McNEIL unanimous resulted in a tie. John HOYT was then nominated and one of the other candidates withdrew. He was declared the victim of the caucus-11 to 8. Mr. HOYT thereupon arose and emphatically and positively declined to run. Maj. M.L. MARKS has been importuned a number of times to accept the nomination of the caucus. After
three refusals he consented and was nominated by acclamation. Delegates to city convention: S.F. SMITH, M.L. MARKS, Walter CHAMBERS, Geo.METZGER, John DONAHUE, L.A. DESSAINT, Samuel HOWLEY, W.C. PUTNAM. Members of the central committee-L.A. DESSAINT. Ward Committee-John DONAHUE, Otto STOEKEL, Samuel ROWLEY, W.A. ANTRIM, W.GOOS. The delagates were instructed to vote for the non-partisan nominees for park commissioners.
FIFTH WARD.Frank W. SMITH was elected chairman and Fred B. SHARON secretary.
J.S. ALTMAN was nominated for alderman on the 10th ballot. Delegates to the city convention F.W. SMITH, O.G. MURRAY, J.A. LeCLAIRE, F.W. LERCH, Aug. REIMERS, M.T.EAGAL, G.W. FRENCH, W.H. WILSON, F.B. SHARON. Member of the central committee-Frank W. SMITH. The non-partisan nominees for park commissioners were endorsed.
J.E. FREEMAN was elected chairman and M. PARKHURST secretary.
Lon BRYSON was nominated for alderman on the first ballot. Delegates to the city convention: W.C. HAYWARD, A. ****, O. EVANS, M.


A Shocking Affair at Fifteenth and Brady Streets-Storm Notes.
There was a scene of excitement in the vicinity of Fifteenth and Brady streets about 5 o'clock last evening. Under the weight of snow andice the trolley wire of the electric line dropped into the street. One of the horses of KUEHL & WESTPHAL's team, which was passing, brushed against it and dropped as if shot. Its companion, a brnocho, turned over on its back and with its hoofs described the innumerable arcs and circles in the air. Two well filled cars were near by, and the feminine portion of the passengers piled out and ran for the sidwalk screaming for some one to pick up the poor horse and acting in the cool and collected manner which women usually preserve in such an emergency. Finally the women and the broncho were quieted, the prostate horse was assisted to his feet, and everything became quiet except the storm. The trolley wire was soon hoisted and travel was resumed. Two horses belonging to John SCHLUETER of Gilberttown were struck by lightning last night and instantly killed.

R.H. HARNED leads the men's gospel meeting Sunday at 4 p.m.
Samuel HIRSCHL of Doebling, near Vienna, austria, father of A.J. HIRSCHL of this city and former resident of Davenport, kindly remembered the association by a recent gift of $25. Mr. HIRSCHL, although 80 years of age, takes a deep interest in all public and charitable enterprises, especially those of Davenport, and his example in this respect ought well be followed by others.


George WELCH, a young moulder at Deere & Co's., met with a bad accident yesterday morning in Moline. He attempted to pour molten iron into the mold from a crucible and when the metal struck the mold there was an explosion, throwing the molten iron up into the air a considerable distance. A large piece was imbedded between the ball of Welch's right eye and the lower lid, and two pieces entered the left eye, one on the upper and the other on the
lower side of the ball, but fortunately the colored portion of either was not injured. It is hoped that his eyes may be saved but his vision will probably be sadly impaired.

29 Mar 1890

Last Thursday in Sheridan township, occurred the sudden death of Mrs. Rosa HARRIS, daughter of the well known farmer Andrew BELL. The fatal ailment was septicemia. Mrs. Harris was born and reared in this county and was 29 years of age. Several years ago she was united in marraige to Samuel H. HARRIS of Parachute, Col., and that city was their home. A few weeks ago she came east to visit her parents in Sheridan township, stopping on the way at Sigourney, Ia. to visit her sister Mrs. R.M. CALKINS. It was a little over a week ago she arrived here, anticipating a protracted visit with parents and friends whom she had not seen since she left this vicinity a bride some 12 years ago. Seh was taken ill the day after her arrival and failed rapidly until Thursday forenoon at 10 o'clock when death relieved her of her sufferings. Her death is a great shock to all who knew her. She was well known both in this city and Sheridan township, and was highly esteemed. Her husband has been telegraphed for and the funeral will probably take place Monday with interment in Long Grove. With the bereaved husband is left a son 10 years of age.

The death of William W. MURPHY occurred at his home in Blue Grass township Friday morning. The deceased was 17 years of age and was born and has always lived in Blue Grass. He was a victim of pneumonia, following the influenza. He was highly esteemed and was a fine young man. His father died ... and since that time he had lived with his mother and been her stay and consolation. The funeral will be held Sunday afternoon at 3 o'clock from St. Mary's church in this city.

- Mrs. W.H. FORREST is visiting relatives in Clinton.
- Mr. Joe RISLEY of Denver, Col., is in the city, and the guest of his brother, J.P. RISLEY.
- Dr. Chas. R. McCANDLESS has returned home a full fledged D.D.S. and has .........and practice with his brother.
- P.B. RHEA of the American Express company went to Chicago last evening.
- Agent Walter FREEMAN of the C.B. & Q. will spend a quiet Sunday with his friends in Burlington.
- Rev. H.C. Leland will leave the pastorate of the First Baptist chuch of Rock Island April 1, and accept a call to Mendota, Ill. where he will have more leisure for study.
- Everett E. WILLIAMS , a graduate from the Chicago Dental college has arrived home and will enter upon the practice...
- Lee Van PATTEN, who has been brakeman on the Rock Island, has been appointed agent of the road at Centerville. It is an important point on the company's line.
- Prof. MANSILL's meteorology predicted one of the most violent of electric
storms of the season for the three days ending Saturday. He seems to have hit the real state of affairs with a degree of accuracy that must be very exasperating to his competitors in the weather prophet business.-
Dr. J.H. RHEA, formerly established in charge of one of the flourishing congregations of this city, in denying a floating item to the effect that he favors the repeal of the prohibitary law, says: "The statement is made whole cloth-not a word of truth in it. I am opposed to repeal or any modification of the law, and opposed to license, high or low, and to any form of local option."
- The chance that Mrs. NURRE will ever recall any of the incidents of the terrible tragedy, in which she was so fearfully abused and her husband slain, is growing fainter. As she recovers more and more from the effects of the injuries she seems to know less and less of the occurrence. All recollection of the affair appears to have passed from her mind. Without the evidence taht was expected from her no clue will be had to the perpetrators of the crime.

31 Mar 1890

After an illness of 18 months Mrs. T.M. HAYES died Sunday night at 11 o'clock. The deceased was born June 24, 1830 at Dundalk, Ireland. Her maiden name was Margaret HALL. She came to this country in 1844, and in 1849 was married, in St. Louis, to Timothy HAYES. In 1861 the family removed to this city, and have resided here since that time. Three children are left: James T., Frank W., and Mary E. of Des Moines. The funeral will be from the residence of James T. HAYES at 209 West Second street, at 9 o'clock tomorrow morning with services at St. Mary's church. Interment in St. Marguerite's cemetery.

The Marshalltown Statesman says that it "is only too pleased to record the fact that its notice last week of the death of E.R. HOGLE of Timber Creek was premature, and that the old gentleman is still alive and may possibly recover." We can see with our mind's eye the glad flush of joy o'erspread the cheek of the editor of our contemporary when the old man's 6-foot son came in to announce that the old man was giving the grim reaper a hard tussle, and to mention that another such break on the part of the paper would be attended with fatal results. There is no doubt that the caller made it very pleasant for the editor.

The MURRAY shoe house will open for business, Wednesday, April 2d, at 111 West 2nd street, with a full line of shoes.

- Mrs. R..R. HENDERSON and her two boys are in Oskalooska for a week.
- C.D. HOWELL and family are visiting Mr. BIRDSALL at the St. James.
- Mrs. J.M. GLASPELL left this morning for Chicago.

The will of the late Peter KERKER is on file in the district's clerk's office. To the widow is bequeathed all furniture, pictures, and household goods, and one third of all his property, both real and personal. All the remainder of the estate is to be divided between the six children, share and share alike. In case the son Joseph KERKER does not appear personally within 15 months from the death of the maker of the will, his share is to be equally divided between the other five children. In no case, should the said Joseph KERKER not appear in person, are his heirs to receive any portion of the estate. The sons George W. and Henry W. are appointed administrators without bond. The instrument bears date Nov. 13, 1889 and was witnessed by John HILL and T.W. McCLELLAND.

The family of Patrick O'SHAUGHNESSY, residing in Rockingham township, is sadly afflicted. At about 2 o'clock Sunday morning Thomas Leo a bright boy of six years of age, died of diphtheria. This loss was followed at about the same time this morning by the death of James, 10 years old, from the same malignant disease. Another child, Anna, and the mother, are ill. The family are well known here in the city, the father being a brother of Thomas O'SHAUGHNESSY and the mother a sister of Charles GARTLAND. The bodies of the two children arrived this afternoon and were interred in St. Mary's cemetery.

Submitted: 05/26/05

Tags: (Please limit tags to surnames found within the article above)

Views: 807 views. Averaging 0 views per day.
In the most recent 30 day period, there've been 15 views.

Items (articles, comments, etc.) placed on the Newspaper Abstracts website and associated mail lists remain the property of the contributor. By submitting any item to this site, the contributor has granted permission to the Newspaper Abstracts website and associated mail lists to permanently display and archive the item(s) online for free access to the site visitor.