Discover Your Ancestors in Newspapers 1690-Today!
Last Name
Daily Times
Daily Times
Contributed by Cathy_Labath

Description: Various

Date: March Various 1897

Newspaper published in: Davenport

March 9, 1897

At Mercy Hospital yesterday occurred the death of John O'Connell, an octogenarian in his eighty-fourth year. The deceased came here from Des Moines for treatment. He was a native of Ireland and has been forty-two years in the state. The remains will be shipped to Des Moines tonight where the funeral will be held Wednesday from his home, 520 west fifteenth street in that city.

March 12, 1897

Hibernian Banquet
Two Local Divisions Will Celebrate St. Patrick's Day

The two local divisions of the Ancient Order of Hibernians have completed arrangements for their banquet and celebration of St. Patrick's day at the Hibernian Hall next Wednesday evening. Invitations have been sent out to the friends of the two divisions, and the gathering will be quite a large one. The supper will be served by the Ladies Catholic Union, after which a toast programme will be carried out, attractively varied with vocal and instrumental music. Mr. A.J. SMITH will officiate as toastmaster, and will announce the following attractive programme:
Piano Solo.....Mrs. Wm. LILLIS
"The Day We Celebrate".....A.P. McGUIRK
Vocal Solo.....M.V. KELLY
"The Duties of Citizenship"...A.E. CARROLL
Piano Solo.....Cleo McCORMACK
"The Ladies".....J.M. CASH
Piano Solo.....Miss Stella GORMAN
Quartette.....Selected Alice O'CONNOR, James A LINDLEY, Mary LINDLEY, Joseph
"The A.O.H."...E.M.SHARON
Guitar and Mandolin Duet...DAVENPORT and FLYNN.

March 22, 1897

Patrick Purcell Falls Into the Shadow Land Before His Own Door Death came suddenly just as he had long expected, to Patrick Purcell, the well known citizen and former member of the police force of this city, Saturday night. Mr. Purcell was stricken on the street, but he lived long enough to be taken to his home, where he died half an hour later. The deceased had been out to accompany his sister-in-law to her home and was returning to his home on the crest of Farnam street between Ninth and Tenth streets. He had just crossed the street from the west side and was passing the gate of W.P. Halligan's home when he was seen to stagger and fall up against the gate, which, swinging open under the weight, allowed him to fall heavily to the brick walk, where he struck on his head, cutting it somewhat. Friends hastened to his side and found that although he was suffering greatly, he was able to recognize them. He was assisted to arise, and he summoned up enough strength to walk to his own home, about 200 feet away, with the aid of a man supporting him on either side. A half an hour later he was dead. During the interim between his sudden prostration and his final decease, Mr. Purcell spoke lightly to his friends, expressing the wish that he was ready to make the journey over the shadowland, cautioning all those present to remember him with the suffrages of their prayers. The end came without apparent pain, or any great sense of physical distress. The cause of death is supposed to have been heart failure. The deceased had been under treatment and had a spell of sickness and weakness while on his way home from the caucuses early in the week. He recovered from it and thought it nothing serious. On this fatal Saturday evening, however, he realized his condition, as it evidenced by the conversation recounted above. He knew that the end would come suddenly and he kept himself constantly prepared for the worst. He had been growing steadily worse for some time, the weight of years beginning to tell upon his naturally rugged constitution for he was over seventy-three years of age. Deceased was born in Kilkenny, Ireland. He came to Davenport in 1852 and has made it his home ever since. He was appointed a police officer during the mayoralty of Hon. Jere Murphy in 1873 and continued as a member of the force until 1889 when he resigned. Since his retirement from the force he has done little if any work, having been of a saving disposition all of his life thereby gathering together enough property to keep him comfortable. Mr. Purcell was a devout Catholic and an exemplary socialist, being a constant attendant upon the various offices of the Sacred Heart Cathedral. He is survived by his second wife, Bridget, and one son, W.J. Purcell. The funeral will occur Tuesday morning at 9 o'clock from the late residence with solemn high mass at Sacred Heart Cathedral. The interment will be made at St. Marguerite's Cemetery.

Called to Eternal Rest
Several Davenporters Cross the Dark River
Edward Ryan passed away Saturday evening at Mercy hospital after an illness extending over several years. He came here from Sterling, Ill., and has been confined to the hospital the past two years. The deceased was an uncle of Mrs. M.J. Malloy and Messrs. Andrew, Thomas and John Kelly of this city. The funeral was held from the Malloy residence this morning with services at St. Mary's church and interment in Holy Family cemetery.

Local Brevities

Aldermanic Ticket
First Ward...Herbert STRATEMAN
Second Ward..Robert DOERING

Third Ward..Henry NAGEL
Fourth Ward...J. W. BALLARD
Fifth Ward...Geo. W. BAWDEN
Sixth Ward..Henry TRUENEN, Jr.
- Miss Helen HAMM of Dubuque is a guest at the home of Mr. and Mrs. F. J. WALZ.
- Dr. E. S. BOWMAN returned from Andalusia this noon where he spent Sunday
visiting friends.
- Rev. and J. B. LITTLE of Shenandoah, Ia., are here to attend the funeral of the latter's mother, Mrs. MCALLISTER.
- Prof. R. P. Redfield of the high school has been called to his former home, Middleton, N. Y. on account of the illness of relatives.
- E. R. Care, who has spent the past month or so in the south, has returned home. He spent several weeks in Florida and was as far south as Florida Keys.
- Mrs. Mary L. D. PUTNAM and daughter, Miss Lizzie PUTNAM left today for Washington, en route for New York. They will sail early in April for Paris and spend the summer in Europe.

In General
- Licenses to wed were issued today to Harry J. WILLIAMS and Dora HOWE.
- The Bay View Literary society will be entertained this evening at the home of Rev. J. T. MELOY on Fifteenth street.
- Wedding rings at cut prices at KOCH'S jewelery store, 406 W. Second.
- An alarm from box 22 on Fourteenth and Gaines streets called out the fire department about 10 o'clock this morning. The blaze was in some grass and rattlings was quickly extinguished.
- Cards are out announcing the marriage of Miss Amy WRIGHT and Mr. Charles B. POWELL which will be celebrated at the home of the bride's parents, 1026 Arlington avenue, Wednesday evening, March 31st.
- Two engagements which are of local interest have been announced. One is the engagement of Dr. Raymond E. PECK and Miss Myra RORABACK, and the other, Robert C. FICKE and Miss Madeline SPELLETICH. Both couples are well known and congratulations will be general.
- Martin GILLEN, Frank DUNCAN, Ed MOONEY, Frank MARONEY and William SPRAGUE,
Rock Island engineers, have been temporarily set back to firing on account of a lull in business. In consequence of this change Firemen Ed YODER, Merwin WYNES, Carl ODEN and George WEYRAUCH have been laid off.

-Fire Chief REESE of the Moline fire department underwent an operation Saturday which resulted in the removal of a splinter of wood an inch and a half long from his hand. Chief REESE injured his hand at a fire about two months ago and while the wound healed it remained very painful. An X-Ray photograph told the story and located the splinter.

-Michael NAGLE, who so gracefully handles the ribbons o'er the dashing steeds of the hook and ladder company, has gone for a day's outing to the classic Wapsie bottoms to take shots and snap-shots with gun and camera.

Probate Matter
-Last Wills of Henry TECHENTIN and Barbara HOFFMANN
The last will and testament of Henry TECHENTIN was filed today for probate. The testator bequeaths his entire estate to his son, Henry w. TECHENTIN, appointing him executor of the estate. The following legacies are also make in the event of the death of the son: To Heinrich BUSCH of Hamburg, Germany, grandson of a deceased brother, Fritz TECHENTIN, who died in Neu Kloster, Mecklenberg, Schewerin, $5,000. To Mrs. Julia NNIEF, a daughter of a deceased sister in Germany, $2,500. To August KIERSCHNESTEIN, a son of a deceased sister in Germany, $2,500. Bequests of $1,000 each are left to Carl LEONARD, Wihelmina MEYER and Louisa VICK, all of Germany. Fritz TECHENTIN of this city, Henry G. TECHENTIN of Indianapolis, Ind., and Julia FICKE of Fremont, Ohio, children of a deceased brother are also left legacies of $1,000 each. Wilhelmina RAHM and Louisa ENGHOLM, the former of Chicago, the latter of Evanston, both daughters of the deceased brother, John TECHENTIN, are bequeathed $1,000 each. One thousand dollars is bequeathed to the Mississippi Valley spiritualist association of Clinton, Ia. The same legacy is left to the Schuetzen Verein for the beautifying of the park. To the Davenport Turngemeinde $750 together with a ten shares of the building stock of the society is devised. A "Henry TECHENTIN Poor Fund" is created with the German Trust company as trustee, the fund to be distributed to the deserving poor of the city through the offices of the charitable associations. When the German Trust company shall cease to exist the trusteeship shall be vested in the judge of the district court who is empowered to appoint three commissioners to administer the fund. It is directed that the business of Henry TECHENTIN & Co., be purchased by A. KNUEFFEL and Fritz OTT upon terms satisfactory to them.

-The last will and testament of Barbara HOFFMANN was filed for probate with the clerk of the district court today. The testatrix bequeathes to Hazel Martha HOFFMANN the sum of $1,000 payable to her as legatee when she attains her eighteenth birthday. The husband, Frank HOFFMANN, is appointed the trustee with instructions to make such payment when the heir-at-law attains her maturity. All the rest, residue, and remainder of the estate is bequeathed to the surviving husband, Frank HOFFMANN, who is also appointed executor without bond.

Attempts His Own Life
-John B. FIDLAR Turns A Pistol on Himself
The Rash Deed Committed at His Office in Masonic Temple Saturday Evening-The Wound Will Result in Death-A Sad Case.
Despondent over poor success in business and weary of life's struggles John B. FIDLAR retired into a closet opening from his office in the Masonic Temple Saturday evening and sent a bullet of heavy caliber crashing through his brain. The fatal bullet did not do its work at one and he was taken to his home in an unconscious condition. The rash act was committed some time between 6 and 7 o'clock in the evening but the exact time is not known. Mr. FIDLAR was seen about the building at 6 o'clock and it was not until 7 o'clock that Henry MCGAW, the assistant janitor, went into his office and learned the true state of affairs. On entering the office Mr. MCGAW heard heavy breathing and going to the closet Mr. FIDLAR was found in an unconscious condition. Two revolvers in Mr. FIDLAR'S lap and a wound just above the right ear told the story of an attempted suicide.

Mr. MCGAW raised the alarm and the unfortunate man was lifted to a couch. He was breathing heavily and unconscious and medical assistance was quickly summoned. Dr. FRENCH responded while a telephone message informed W. F. FIDLAR of his brother's condition. Several other friends were also notified and hastened to the temple. Dr. FRENCH probed for the ball that did the work but could not find it and gave his opinion that Mr. FIDLAR'S death was only a question of time. The city ambulance was summoned, and Mr. FIDLAR was taken to his home on Arlington avenue. His brother, W. F. FIDLAR, a and John HOYT proceeded to break the news to Mrs. FIDLAR and other members of his family at home. Dr. WATZEK was called but could give the sorrowing family no hope.

John B. FIDLAR is fifty-nine years of age and a native of Licking county, Ohio. He served in Company D of the Twenty-fifth Iowa infantry and was connected with the American Express company from the close of the war until 1870 when he became cashier of the First National bank. Mr. FIDLAR retired from this position about three years ago. During the past year he has been secretary of the Business Men's association. His family consists of his wife and one son, William. There are two brothers, W. F., of this city, and Solon H. of Dubuque.

Mr. FIDLAR has been in an unconscious condition since the shooting, and at noon today he showed signs of growing somewhat weaker. The attending physician is of the opinion that a few hours at the outside will see the end. At last reports, late this afternoon, he was still alive.

-At her home in Joslin, Ill., Saturday morning occurred the death of Lillie HEALD, a former resident of this city. The deceased was born at Lockport, Ill., March 10, 1859, and the family resided in this city for about twenty years. About four years ago, the family removed to Joslin. She is survived by her parents, three brothers and three sisters.

-Agnes FRITSCH, a six-year-old inmate of St. Vincent's home on east Fifteenth street, passed away at an early hour yesterday morning after a short illness from diphtheria combined with measles. The funeral was held yesterday, with interment at St. Marguerite's cemetery.

-At the residence of her nephew, O. P. JUDD, on Grand avenue yesterday noon, occurred the death of Mrs. Hannah ANTHONY, late of Denver, Col. For the past two weeks she has been a guest at the home of her nephew where she was taken ill about a week ago. The deceased was a native of Melford, Con., and had reached the age of seventy-three years. The family formerly resided at Camanche, Ia., but for sometime past Mrs. ANTHONY has made her home in Denver, where two sons are in business. The remains will be taken to Camanche for interment.

-Joseph H. PINCKNEY, residing at 2312 Farnum street passed away at about 5 o'clock yesterday afternoon, his demise being the result of a spinal trouble of several years standing. The deceased was forty two years of age and a native of Illinois. He came from Cambridge in that state about eighteen years ago and has since made his home here. He is survived by his wife, four brothers and one sister. There are no children. The funeral will be held tomorrow with interment in Oakdale cemetery.

-Mrs. Maria HUCKSTAEDT, a well known resident of this city passed away at her home, 1315 Leonard street Saturday evening. The deceased had attained the advanced age of eighty years and was widely known throughout the city. She had earned the appellation of mother of the Turner society of Northwest Davenport and was highly respected by all who knew her. Mrs. HUCKSTAEDT came to this city about forty-five years ago and has since made her home here. She is survived by her husband, George H. HUCKSTAEDT, and six children, together with several grandchildren. The funeral service will be private.

Submitted: 05/26/05

Tags: (Please limit tags to surnames found within the article above)

Views: 158 views. Averaging 0 views per day.
In the most recent 30 day period, there've been 2 views.

Items (articles, comments, etc.) placed on the Newspaper Abstracts website and associated mail lists remain the property of the contributor. By submitting any item to this site, the contributor has granted permission to the Newspaper Abstracts website and associated mail lists to permanently display and archive the item(s) online for free access to the site visitor.