Discover Your Ancestors in Newspapers 1690-Today!
Last Name
Daily Times
Daily Times
Contributed by Cathy_Labath

Description: Various

Date: June 24 1897

Newspaper published in: Davenport

Thurs. evening

At his hiome, 1304 West Seventh street at 8:15 o'clock last evening occurred the death of Patrick KILLEEN, a veteran drayman, from a complication of ailments, in the sixty-eighth year of his life. The deceased was born in County Roscommon, Ireland and came to this country and city fifty years ago where he has since resided. He is survived by his widow and one daughter, Mary. The funeral will take place tomorrow morning at 9 o'clock from the late residence 1304 west Seventh street with funeral services at St. Mary's church and interment in St. Mary's cemetery.

Ground Under the Wheels

George DUPRE, a former resident of Rock Island and well known in this city, one of the well known east end brakemen of the rock Island road was killed at 11 o'clock Monday night at Joliet. He was coming west with Conductor Emerson. He fell between the cars, three of them passing over his body terribly mangling it. The burial took place yesterday at Atkinson, Ill., where the deceased is survived by a wife and six children. He was about thirty-five years of age and was insured for $2,000 in the Maccabees.

Two Hundred Pupils Graduate from the Grammar Schools.

The Interesting Event Takes Place at the Burtis Opera House This Afternoon-An Attractive Programme Carried Out.

This has been commencement day for the grammar schools of the city and this afternoon a class of two hundred students received the diplomas which will entitle them to admission into the high school in the fall. It was a proud day for the boys and girls who graduated and their friends turned out en masse to witness the exercises at the Burtis Opera House.

By the time the first number of the programme was announced by Supt. YOUNG, who presided during the exercises, the house was filled to over-flowing with the friends and relatives of the graduates.

The programme of the afternoon, which consisted of recitations, music and calisthenics, was carried out in a manner which was heartily pleasing to the spectators, and each class carried out their part in a manner which merited the applause which was showered upon them. The dumbbell and club exercises, which were given by classes, made up of pupils from the different schools, showed careful training, and were executed with a precision and exactness,which was quite creditable. Prof. REUTER conducted this part of the programme, and he had reason to be proud of his pupils, and the showing which they made for themselves.

The programme opened with the singing of the "Beautiful Springtime" by the whole class, followed by the recitations of Frank HASS of School No. 1, and Ida MILLER of School 5. After Indian club exercises a recitation by Howard COLEMAN of School No. 2, and another song, Miss Ethel FARIS of School No. 4, told the audience of "Something Great" in a manner which showed no small degree of ability. The recitation was one of the features of the programme, and was followed by a dumbbell exercise and a recitation by Lloyd LAMPHERE of School No. 1. Miss Emma NEUMAN of School No. 8, and Miss Elsa PETERSEN of school No. 3, were also well received, their recitations being excellent, as was that of Fred DOYLE of School No. 5.

After the singing of a selection by six girls from each school, Miss Stella MOREHOUSE of No. 1 told the story of "The Chambered Nautilus" and in a very acceptable manner. (Illegible) was the subject of Bert BAWDEN'S unique recitation, while Miss Gertie SCHMIDT of School No. 5, declaimed "The Brave Man." The pleasing recitation of Carl WIGGERS of School 8, was followed by the presentation of the diplomas by Prof. YOUNG. The programme was closed with the singing of the Star Spangled Banner and America.

The following are the names of the pupils who were awarded diplomas this afternoon:

School No. 1.

Boys-Oscar H. WINCKLER, Ed L. WILLEY, Mac M. TORBERT, Byron PETERSON, Roy L. PAUL, John J. MOFFATT, Avery C. MCCUNE, Dick R. LANE, Lloyd C. LAMPHERE, George KNOSTMAN, Ludwig P. JOHNSON, John T. HES, William E. HAUGHTON, Marcelus HOLSAPPLE, Wilhelm HARMS, McDonough GRANT, Walter F. DRIFFILL, L. Benjamin DRIFFILL, Albert W. CROUCH, George H. CLARK, Otto CARSTENS.

Girls-Alma WILHELM, Addie C. VERDER, Grace C. TYLER, Nettie SHARP, Wilhelmina RUSCH, Jessie M. RICE, Amy J. PAULSON, Stella G. MOREHOUSE, Dorothy HILDEBRAND, Laura E. FULLER, Rose M. FINK. Maud ELDRIDGE, Maud R. CAMPBELL, Othilda M. BOETCHER, Margaret BOENIGER, Cora A. BERTRAM and Bessie G. ADE.

School No. 2

Boys-James G. BENNETT, Charlie CESSNA, Howard S. COLEMAN, Howard s. COLEMAN, Arthur M. COMPTON, Lewis J. DREW, Thomas H. GOULD, Wm. A. HICKEY, Wm. L. HUMPHREY, DeWitt C. HUNTLEY, Francis J. IGOU, Eddie LANG, Edwin MORITZ, Jesse MORITZ, Jacob PINKUS, George H. TUERK and Laurence J. WYNES.

Girls-Bertha E. DAY, Amy G. COLINS, Louise R. DALZELL, Mary A. GLUKE, Grace H. GOLDSMITH, Mary H. HICKEY, Anna B. LAVENTURE, Louise HELLIG, Lena LOVETT, Charlotte M. MITCHELL, Olive A. MAUS, Josephine NYE, Hattie OCHS, Elsa C. PLOEHN, Gertrude C. SCHMIDT and Ruth YOUNG.
School No. 3

Boys-Hans F. REESE, John KOCH, Frank HASS, Fred H. JEBE, Walter LUCHT, George THODE, Carlton W. SCHOENIG, Otto MEISNER, Willie PULS, Frank E. WICHELMANN, Walter THOMSEN, and Otto THOMSEN.


School No. 4

Boys-E. Roscoe ALLEN, Lawrence C. AUSTIN, James A. BAWDEN, Louis B. BOECKELMANN, Luis L. CORRY, John H. DANIELS, Franz P. DENGLER, M. Paul DOUD, Adolph EVERS, John P. JUGENHEIMER, Ralph V. MCCORMICK, James C. MCGREGOR, Willie MOORE, Matthew O'DEA, Walter N. SCHROEDER, William WESTPHAL, Arthur G. LEFLER

Girls-Georgia E. BAKER, Helen M. BEHRENS, Maud E. BENKERT, Paula H. BRUCK, Nellie M. BOUDINOT, Janet A.BURRES, Lillie M. DOWNS, Marian F. EVANS, Ethel L. FARIS, Fannie M. GIFFORD, Amy T. HENDER, Melissa E. HYATT, Mary W. HYATT, Annie T. HYNES, Laura JOHANNSEN, Lucilva C. KARWARTH, Laura B. MCCARL, Joe MCCLURE, Mabel M. METZGER, Alice E. NAGEL, Jennie B. REED, Margery H. RONABACK, Greta SCHELLHORN, Sadie SILK, Earna W. STECKEL, Mary M. TAYLOR, Bertha L. WALTERS, Helen WATERMAN.

School No. 5

Boys-Wm. BUERGEL, Oscar DENKMANN, Joseph DAHM, Fred DOYLE, Arthur H. EBERLING, Elmer GERDTS, Edward A. HALL, Wm. J. HOUSMAN, Joseph LAMB, Carl OLDSEN, Henry SCHMAHL, Harry WAGNER, and Henry WITT.


School No. 8

Boys-Alfred BRANDT, William O. EGGERS, Berthold C. FRAHM, Bernard J. FRIEDHOLDT, Bartlett J. PALMER, Carl J. WIGGERS and George P. TUBBS.

Girls-Lillie O. BREEDE, Olga ENGLAND, Paula A. FRAHM, Geneva A. GROBE, Clara E. HERSCH, Alice E. KAUFMANN, Alma KUEHL, Bertha C. NEIMAND, Philomena C. MOORE, Fannie ROTHSCHILD, Augusta L. RUNGE, Irma C. RUSER, Hilda R.REINHOLD, Annie STENDER, Adela C. SUELAU, Ella E. WRIEDT and Annie C. WHITING.

The Schubert's Feast

The members of the Schubert Glee club to the number of about twenty-three gathered at the Schuetzen park last evening, and enjoyed an informal social gathering and banquet, which marked the close of a very successful season.

The feast was pleasantly passed in a social way, the leading feature of the affair being a banquet served in the most approved style by the management of the ark pavilion. The feast was followed by a programme, during which time the members present responded to the announcements of Dr. J. R. KULP, who acted in the capacity of toastmaster. Among other responses, Prof. TOENNIGES responded with a neat speech, while Hugo KROHN replied to the toast, "The Ladies." Louis SUSEMIHL was also called upon, and took occasion during the course of his remarks to thank the press for the assistance and courtesies which had been extended to the club.



At his home, 1304 West Seventh street at 8:15 o'clock last evening occurred the death of Patrick Killeen, a veteran drayman, from a complication of ailments, in the sixty-eighth year of his life. The deceased was born in County Roscommon, Ireland and came to this country and city fifty years ago where he has since resided. He is survived by his widow and one daughter, Mary. The funeral will take place tomorrow morning at 9 o'clock from the late residence 1304 west Seventh street with funeral services at St. Mary's church and interment in St. Mary's cemetery.

Verdict of the Jury Finds that ALDAY was Poisoned With Arsenic.

No Specific Mention of by Whom Administered-Mrs. GABAR'S Testimony-The Strictures of Witness OCHS Upon William ALDAY-The text of the Verdict.

The celebrated inquest, which has been in progress for several weeks for the purpose of ascertaining what caused Adam ALDAY'S death, was concluded late last evening, when the coroner's jury returned a verdict declaring that ALDAY'S death was due to arsenical poisoning. The session of the jury was held in the coroner's office in Rock Island and five witnesses, including the dead man's wife were examined.

Mrs. Mary OSBAR was sworn and said that she was the former wife of the late Adam ALDAY. She said she was married to Adam ALDAY in November, 1890, and lived with him until he died, on November 7, 1894. She was in the house but not in the room. He was sick about two years. The trouble with him when he first took sick, she thought was too much drink. He was sixty-three years and eight months of age when he died. He drank whisky, beer and other liquors, and used about two gallons of alcohol a year to mix with other drinks. He first complained of pain in the region of the stomach after he had thetrouble with the police. He took to his bed about nine days before his death. She did not know what was the matter with him and he did not appear to know either, although he said at times that he thought he was paralyzed. The pain did not seem to become much worse, but he simply could not help himself. His eyesight appeared to be affected during the last illness, as he sometimes thought he saw two or three persons in the room when there was only one. She said they had one and as many as three physicians in one day. ALDAY liked to have the doctors about him, but he refused to take the medicines saying that they would do him no good. He had some medicine which he brought from Minnesota, which he seemed to think was good for him. It was first obtained from a druggist named Hollister in **kefield, Minn., and was afterwards filled at Sohrbeck's in Moline. During his last illness she gave him medicine, when ! he would take it, and also gave him whisky and Kipp attended to him sometimes.

ALDAY told her about four months before he died that he made the will, but she did not see it until some days after his death. She did not instruct the undertaker to embalm the body, and did not know it had been until the body was disinterred. Mr. LAGE sent for an undertaker. She had the body taken up on account of the talk started by the children. First, Mrs. PETERSON gave currency to a story that her mother, ALDAY'S first wife, had been poisoned by the witness, and when she heard of this she wrote to her son Ed, in Minnesota about a year ago to see the doctors who attended Mrs. ALDAY and get the papers so that her innocence might be established. The talk in regard to the poisoning of her husband was started by her sons William and Edward. The witness, who had maintained her composure while the examination was in progress, broke into tears and wept bitterly, when this point was reached as she told of the efforts of her sons, as she termed them, to trample her in the mud, and the ingratitude of their conduct. She told of the money and property she had given to her sons at various times in the hope that they might become self-supporting. Neither of the boys, although they are 25 and 23 years of age respectively, had ever supported himself, and when she could not give them more money unless she succeeded in disposing of some of the real estate left by her husband, they commenced the suit to break their father's will and later started the story that she had poisoned him.

In speaking of the whiskey which her husband drank in his life, Mrs. OSBAR said that it was ordered from J. H. MUELLER and cost $2.50 a gallon.

Dr. E. L. EYSTER gave some expert testimony bearing upon arsenic poisoning, stating that its symptoms would be much like death through alcoholism.

The next witness was Mr. J. OCHS, who was accused by William ALDAY at the last session of the jury, of offering him and his brother Edward, $200 apiece to drop the civil and criminal cases against Mrs. OSBAR. Mr. OCHS, after he was sworn, said the statements made by William ALDAY were false, and he denounced that worthy as a liar and a perjurer. Having unbosomed himself of his opinion of William, Mr. OCHS made a statement of all that transpired between himself and William.

He said he knew Adam ALDAY for many years and saw William ALDAY for many years, and saw William ALDAY for many years and saw William ALDAY once. He said that his firm negotiated a trade for a Davenport party who desired toexchange some property in that city for thirty-one lots owned by Mr. and Mrs. OSBAR in ALDAY'S third addition to Moline. Both sets of deeds were made out, when it was suggested to their client that the cloud on the will might prove a cloud on the property which he was to get from Mrs. OSBAR. The client came to Rock Island to seek legal advice. He informed his agents, the Messrs OCHS, that he would like to have a quit claim from William and Edward ALDAY. The witness thereupon spoke to Maj. BEARDSLEY, one of the attorneys for the two, in regard to getting a quit claim from the young men. Maj. BEARDSLEY later informed him that William ALDAY considered the property in question worth $10,000, and that his clients would not quit claim it to anybody for less than a third of that sum. Mr. OSBAR, the week following this occurrence, told the witness that he had seen Ed ALDAY in Rock Island and had been informed by him that for $200 apiece he and William would assign their interest in the property, and they would also want $100 for services rendered by C. J. SEARLE in the will case up to the time he withdrew from the case. Mr. OSBAR was anxious to consummate the deal, as he thought he had made an advantageous trade and was therefore willing to pay $100 or $500 to effect it. As for himself, the witness said, he desired to bring the negotiations t o a successful conclusion because his commission depended on that result, and he knew nothing about the criminal proceedings against Mrs. OSBAR beyond what he read in the newspapers, and didn't care anything about them, because his client had been assured by Rock Island lawyers that this could not, in any way affect the title. The witness accordingly sent one of his partners to William ALDAY'S house. As William was not at home the messenger left word requesting him to come to the office. Mr. OCHS said he never wrote a line to William. When the latter came to the office the witness opened the conversation by repeating what Ed had said and also stating that Mr. and Mrs. OSBAR were willing to pay the sum specified to get a quit claim deed. William replied that he wouldn't quit claim the property for less than a third of its reputed value, and the witness thereupon told him that in that case there would be no use of further talk. Mr. OCHS, in answer to the questions of the jury emphatically denied following William out of the office to make offers looking to the settlement of the criminal cases. They were not mentioned either directly or indirectly and Mr. OCHS closed his testimony with a reiteration of his former assertion that William ALDAY had perjured himself in his statement before the jury. After Dr. C. G. CRAIG had rendered an expert opinion upon the presence of the arsenic in the embalming fluid in the liver, stating that that organ is non-absorptive after death, the case was given to the jury at 5:30 o'clock, and an hour later the following verdict was rendered and returned to Coroner ECKHARDT.

"We find that, from the evidence adduced, Adam ALDAY came to his death by arsenious poison; the arsenious poison found in the liver by the examining chemist and from the expert testimony of the physicians, does not appear to be accounted for by the introduction of the embalming fluid after death.


A. T. FOSTER, Foreman

It now devolves upon the state's attorney to bring the matter before the attention of the next grand jury, in the hope of clearing up the mystery.

Submitted: 05/26/05

Tags: (Please limit tags to surnames found within the article above)

Views: 223 views. Averaging 0 views per day.
In the most recent 30 day period, there've been 2 views.

Items (articles, comments, etc.) placed on the Newspaper Abstracts website and associated mail lists remain the property of the contributor. By submitting any item to this site, the contributor has granted permission to the Newspaper Abstracts website and associated mail lists to permanently display and archive the item(s) online for free access to the site visitor.