Discover your family's story.

Enter a grandparent's name to get started.

Start Now
The Houston Herald
The Houston Herald
Contributed by Gigimo

Description: Mary A. Porter.

Date: August 5 1915

Newspaper published in: Houston, MO

Mary A. Porter was born May 31, 1840, in Pickens District, South Carolina, and died at the home of her daughter, Mrs. Allen Pitts, Summersville, Missouri, July 11, 1915, making her age at death 75 years, 1 month and 11 days. She united with the Baptist church at the age of 16 and lived a consistent Christian in that faith till death called her away. A goodly portion of her life was devoted to administering to the wants of the distressed and afflicted with whom she met and was called an angel on earth by her neighbors.

She was married at the age of 18 to John M. Porter and they lived happily together till the war of 1861 to 1865 broke out when her husband joined with his neighbors and enlisted in the Confederate army in South Carolina, in which he lost his life. To this union were born three children, all girls: Elvina E., wife of L. M. Hones, of Bourbon, Missouri; Nancy E., wife of J. F. Gibson, of Wichita Falls, Texas; and Lucretia J., wife of M. A. Pitts, of Summersville, Missouri; all of whom survive her. Of other relatives left to mourn their loss are J. K. Lewis, of Leasburg, Mo., a brother, and Mrs. R. A. Stephens, a sister at Bourbon, Mo., and grandchildren, and a host of friends in several states who will bow in grief at the news of her death.

She came to Missouri in 1883, and made her home with her youngest daughter, Mrs. M. A. Pitts, the greater part of the time till death. The deceased had been afflicted for many years with heart trouble but with kindness and Christian patience she bore her suffering without a murmur, fully trusting int he promise of her Great Redeemer. Her suffering was terrible until until two days before the end came when she eased off and talked with those that gathered around and told them she wished to go and meet those loved ones that had gone before. She was conscious to the last minute and talked with her daughter less than five minutes before the end came, and just went to sleep - that sleep from which there is no awakening.

She was laid to rest in the Riley cemetery on the evening of July 12th, in the presence of a large crowd who came to pay tribute to this loving mother and kind friend.


  • 100/5
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5

5/5 based on 1 vote. The median rating is 5.
Show Individual Votes

Submitted: 01/03/18

Tags: (Please limit tags to surnames found within the article above)

Views: 9 views. Averaging 0 views per day.
In the most recent 30 day period, there've been 0 views.

Previous Article | Next Article

Items (articles, comments, etc.) placed on the Newspaper Abstracts website and associated mail lists remain the property of the contributor. By submitting any item to this site, the contributor has granted permission to the Newspaper Abstracts website and associated mail lists to permanently display and archive the item(s) online for free access to the site visitor.