Contributed by Gigimo
Description: Death of Mrs. Jss. A. DAVIDSONDate: March 12 1885
Newspaper published in: Lawrence, KS
Died, at her home near Lecompton, on Wednesday afternoon, March 4, 1885. Mary, the beloved wife of James A. DAVIDSON.
Mrs. DAVIDSON was born in Jefferson county, Missouri, on April 29, 1837, and was in the 48th year of her age at the time of her death. She was the daughter of James WINN, of Jefferson county, Missouri, an old and highly respected citizen of that place, where she was married to Mr. J. A. DAVIDSON on February 20, 1853.
Together Mr. and Mrs. DAVIDSON came to Kansas in the autumn of 1854, and settled near Lawrence, where they remained until the autumn of 1856, when they removed to their present home, three miles west of Lecompton.
Mrs. DAVIDSON possessed many rare and estimable qualities. As a wife and a mother, she was ever devoted, tender and considerate. She seemed to seek no higher human happiness than that she found herself in ministering to the comfort, happiness and well being of her family and friends. "To know her is to love her."
During the long and wasting illness which preceded her death no word of repining escaped her lips. She felt that loving hands were ever present and ready to administer to her wants, and her heart was full of tender pity for her husband and children of whom she knew she was so soon to take leave on the threshold of the grave. Mrs. DAVIDSON was for many years a consistent and devoted member of the Methodist Episcopal church, and died, as only a true Christian may die, with perfect faith in the Redeemer, and a firm and well founded hope of a blissful immortality beyond the grave.
The funeral services were conducted by Rev. Mr. LAKE, of Lecompton, and were very solemn and impressive. The pall bearers were Wm. HENRY, Chas. DUMMER, John HENNESY and Henry DUMMER; and despite the very disagreeable weather, a very large concourse of friends and neighbors turned out to do the last sad honors due our beloved friend and neighbor. The body was deposited in the family lot in Maple Grove cemetery.