Discover your family's story.

Enter a grandparent's name to get started.

Start Now
The Idaho Post
The Idaho Post
Contributed by Kathleen Peck Probasco

Date: March 8 1918

Newspaper published in: Moscow, Idaho

Source: University of Idaho Library

Every American reads with a thrill and just pride the reports of American men in action on the western front. Also with a stab at the heart at the death of each young and gallant lad. All were especially thrilled by the report of last Sunday [March 3] when that young son of Idaho, Captain [Stewart] Hoover, displayed his daring and fighting qualities, but fell while leading on.

University circles were more deeply stirred because Captain Hoover's sister, Phyllis, is a member of the freshman class. Miss Hoover, upon receiving the message telling of her brother's death, left for Blackfoot to be with her parents, Dr. and Mrs. Hoover, for several days.

Captain Stewart Hoover was a member of the class of '17 of West Point and was only 22 years of age.


David Hand, a former pastor of the Baptist church of this city, who was some five years ago convicted of a statutory offense and given an indeterminate sentence, after five years of penal servitude will be released on a parole on account of the dependency of his aged parents. The story of the downfall of this unfortunate man is too familiar to the residents of Moscow to review at this time. This final action of the state board of pardons is taken only after the second or third application of Hand for a parole.


How would you feel to get a letter from a brother or son, whom you thought dead for the past year or more? That is what came the other day to Rev. Bridge of St. Mark's church. A letter from a brother who, in the fall of 1916 went into one of those awful maelstroms of war on the western front. His name and picture appeared in the official roster of the honored dead, and his bride of two months and his family mourned him as dead. The letter came from a German prison camp at Saarsbrucken, Germany.

It states that Lieutentant H.E. Bridge is well, and is allowed to receive goods from home through the Red Cross.

Lieutenant Bridge had been married but two months at the time of his entering service. He went from Canada with his command in the early part of 1916.


Princeton--Henry Pankey and wife are the proud parents of a 8-pound girl, born February 20.


Miss Blanche Lloyd and James A. Mitchell of Colfax, came to Moscow Tuesday afternoon [March 5] and securing a license were united in marriage by Judge W.G. Barge at the office of Attorney Pickett. Wednesday Chief of Police Stillinger was notified by the police at Colfax to be on the look out for a couple that had jumped the town with an auto. The description of the pair and the car were given. During the day the car was located on Main street and the chief soon found that the young man who had been married the evening previous was the driver.

On being told that he was wanted, he laughed, and asked if the "old man was hot." The bride and groom were inivited to wait with the chief at headquarters until further advice was secured from Colfax. The sheriff's office at Colfax informed Mr. Stillinger that a deputy was enroute and to detain Mr. and Mrs. Mitchell until his arrival. Upon the arrival of the officer the young people were allowed to go, but the car was taken over and placed in a garage.

Chief Stillinger is of the opinion that Mitchell senior was not aware of the identity of the driver of his missing car when he asked the aid of the sheriff's office at Colfax, and owing to the fact that the young man had taken his father's car on different occasions before without permission had stirred up his ire to such an extent that drastic action was taken.


Miss Pearl McMillan and E.E. Brannon both of this city were married in the office of the probate court by Judge Nelson, Thursday afternoon [March 7]. Mr. and Mrs. Brannon left the same evening for a short wedding trip to Spokane and other points west. They will make their home in Moscow, Mr. Brannon being one of the harvester force.


C.W. Shove, an aged citizen, father-in-law of Dr. Lillibridge, died at the Lillibridge home Sunday evening [March 3]. The funeral services were held from the home, Tuesday evening, conducted by Rev. Perry.


Miss Nellie Morrissey was called to Spokane the first of the week on account of the death of an aunt.


Immigration Inspector W.J. McConnell, took G.S. Mahow, the Bulgarian, who was arrested last summer for participating in the I.W.W. activities, to Spokane, yesterday in pursuant to an order of the secretary of labor. From Spokane Mahow will be taken to Ellis Island, New York, and sent back to his native land.

Submitted: 12/24/05

Tags: (Please limit tags to surnames found within the article above)

Views: 74 views. Averaging 0 views per day.
In the most recent 30 day period, there've been 0 views.

Items (articles, comments, etc.) placed on the Newspaper Abstracts website and associated mail lists remain the property of the contributor. By submitting any item to this site, the contributor has granted permission to the Newspaper Abstracts website and associated mail lists to permanently display and archive the item(s) online for free access to the site visitor.