Discover Your Ancestors in Newspapers 1690-Today!
Last Name
Postville Review
Postville Review
Contributed by Iowa_Archives

Description: Church Directory ...

Date: December 17 1873


Methodist -- Rev. G.L. LAYNE, pastor. Preaching every Sabbath morning at 10 1/2 o'clock at the new Brick Church. Sunday school every Sabbath immediately after the morning services.

Baptist -- S.F. SMITH, pastor. Services every Sabbath morning at 10 1/2 o'clock and in the evening at 7 1/2 o'clock.

Congregationalist -- C.A. MARSHALL, pastor. Services every alternate Sabbath, at 10 1/2 o'clock, seats free to all.

The Ladies sociable of the M.E. Church will be held next Friday afternoon at the residence of Mr. T.C. SMITH, near Castalia.

There will be a dance given at the Hardin Hotel New Years night. Good music will be in attendance. Floor managers, J.C. BEEDY, John KATHAN.

Married. Mr. S.R. SEAMONDS, and Miss Nettie WALKER, of Hardin, at the residence of the brides father, Thursday, Dec. 7th, 1873. By Rev. R.D. McCORMACK.

Decidedly the best thing we have ever seen is the shape of a Bobsled is the Oviatt Patent Bob sled. Manufactured by J.G. DOW, at this place.

While at Chicago last week we visited Darwin SYMMS, one of Postville's boys, and was pleased to find him well and doing exceedingly well. Darwin you have the best wishes of all in this community.

Last Friday evening an altercation [illegible] between Frank VanHOOSER and one Wm. BRUM. Mr. VanHOOSER's [illegible], where upon Frank struck BRUM over the head with the butt of a weapon which brought the latter to the ground. When BRUM came too, Frank was nowhere to be found, but was soon found by his enemy who immediately proceeded to shut off the boy's wind for a few minutes, which will probably learn the young blood to take a joke. We did not learn the cause of the difficulty.

Last Friday morning, a little child 2 1/2 years old, the daughter of Mrs. ERICKSON, a widow woman, living on the farm of Peter E. HAUGEN, three miles south of Decorah, fell into a boiler of hot water which had just been taken off the stove. The child had just got up, and the mother had left her work to get her breakfast, leaving the child on a chair. The child folowig the mother, it is supposed and in passing the boiler slipped and fell into it. The head, breast, and one arm was entirely immersed, although but for a few seconds. Dr. BULIS was called as soon as possible, but could not save the child. It lingered in great agony for eight hours and died.-- Decorah 'Republican'.


  • 0/5
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5

0/5 based on 0 votes. The median rating is 0.
Show Individual Votes

Submitted: 12/27/05

Tags: (Please limit tags to surnames found within the article above)

Views: 307 views. Averaging 0 views per day.
In the most recent 30 day period, there've been 0 views.

Previous Article | Next Article

Items (articles, comments, etc.) placed on the Newspaper Abstracts website and associated mail lists remain the property of the contributor. By submitting any item to this site, the contributor has granted permission to the Newspaper Abstracts website and associated mail lists to permanently display and archive the item(s) online for free access to the site visitor.