Discover Your Ancestors in Newspapers 1690-Today!
Last Name
Postville Review
Postville Review
Contributed by Iowa_Archives

Description: Died. R.H. Kimball...

Date: August 27 1873

Died. R.H.KIMBALL, at Lime Springs, Aug 22d. Age [either 61 or 81] years, 8 mo. 23 days. Disease, consumption.

Died. Marion GREEN, of Castalia, Winneshiek Co. Iowa August 14th. Aged 39 years, 11 months, 23 days. Disease, consumption. She died in great pence, having made a good preparation for her change, she was a great sufferer, but amid all of her suffering was never heard to complain; but was often heard to say, "God's grace is sufficient, and I will soon be at rest." She leaves, to mourn her loss a kind companion, three children who feel that they have lost a good mother, may God's grace sustain the husband and children in this affliction. They have the sympathy of many kind friends, and they mourn not as those having no hope, for her end was peace. The funeral sermon was preached by Rev. R.D. McCORMICK. Test, Revelation 14th chap and 13th, verse.

Burned to death. From Frankville - On Sunday morning, Aug. 17th, a little boy of Alexander SMITH's, while at a relations, living near here, accidentally fell into a pail of hot water, and was so severely burned that he survived but a few hours; and calmly fell asleep in death. The bereaved parents have the sympathy of a large circle of friends. Funeral services held in the Presbyterian church, in Frankville, Sermon by the authour, from I Cor, 15 chap., 55 verse. E. HEFLIN.


The Supt. of Public Instruction has appointed Oct. 6th as the time for holding the Teachers' Institute in this county, the place is Waukon and Prof. J. LAUGHRAN conductor. All persons intending to teach during the coming year must attend. John W. HINCBON.

A new boy added to the census rolls of Postville, and Jas. ALLEN is the paternal derivitive thereof. All well and happy.

[article abstracted]
About 2 o'clock Monday morning the citizens of Calmar were aroused by an alarm. The Calmar House was on fire in the back kitchen and far advanced. The Calmar House was owned and occupied by Mr. W.H. GORE. So repidly did the fire spread that little was saved. Mr. GORE's loss is estimated at four to six thousand with no insurance.

Other buildings involved:

Next door west - owned by W.J. CREMER and occupied by E.H. GILBERT for general merchandise.

Next building - CREMERS agricultural office and warehouse. Also the law office of J.B. KAYE, Esq. Mr KAYE saved his books and papers, but Mr. C. lost the building.

John HAMMER's dwelling came next and was burned with nearly all its contents.

Peter LUTHER's dwelling came next and was burned with all its contents.

P. ANDREWS butcher shop was torn down to check the further spread of fire.

The weight of evidence is that the fire was the work of an incendiary. Those first on the ground report it burning as though the wall had been saturated with kerosene.


  • 0/5
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5

0/5 based on 0 votes. The median rating is 0.
Show Individual Votes

Submitted: 12/27/05

Tags: (Please limit tags to surnames found within the article above)

Views: 507 views. Averaging 0 views per day.
In the most recent 30 day period, there've been 0 views.

Previous Article | Next Article

Items (articles, comments, etc.) placed on the Newspaper Abstracts website and associated mail lists remain the property of the contributor. By submitting any item to this site, the contributor has granted permission to the Newspaper Abstracts website and associated mail lists to permanently display and archive the item(s) online for free access to the site visitor.