Discover your family's story.

Enter a grandparent's name to get started.

Start Now
The Idaho Post
The Idaho Post
Contributed by Kathleen Peck Probasco

Date: May 17 1918

Newspaper published in: Moscow, Idaho

Source: University of Idaho Library

The citizens of Moscow and Latah county were greatly shocked last Saturday afternoon [May 11] when it was known that B.T. Byrns had answered the call to the great beyond.

Mr. Byrns had been ill only a few days. Friends down town were told that he was ailing but that there was nothing seriously wrong. Friday last his condition was more alarming and a message was sent his daughters in Ohio, but Friday evening his condition was much for the better and Mrs. Byrns sent a night letter to her daughters telling of their father's improvement.

A physical injury received some three weeks prior to his death may have had something to do with his last illness, but his physicians think not. Death was due to heart failure, common causes that are always hard to definitely determine.

Saturday morning Mr. Byrns' condition grew rapidly worse and at two o'clock the end came.

The news of Mr. Byrns death brot [sic] sorrow to hundreds of his friends in this section of the Inland Empire. His life was one of service. For his family, for his friends, his community and his country.

The funeral services were held from the Presbyterian church, being conducted by Rev. H.O. Perry and Professor M.W. Morse, owing to the absence in Ohio of Rev. D.H. Hare, Mr. Byrns' pastor.

The floral offerings were many and beautiful and included offerings of friends, civic organizations, the chamber of commerce and other societies, and many of them came from long distances.

The pall bearers were eight close friends of Mr. Byrns, men who had known and loved him for years. They were: George Creighton, T.A. Meeker, Arnold S. Lyons, Dr. Rae, F.A. David, Prof. Ph. Soulen, L.F. Parsons and John Kroh.

All the business houses of Moscow closed during the funeral hour, from 2 to 3 o'clock, and even the federal court adjourned out of respect to the man who was everybody's friend.

The funeral was directed by Glen Grice, who had every detail arranged to perfection. The body was encased in a handsome metallic casket and Mr. Byrns appeared to be taking a peaceful sleep, the kindly face still wearing the pleasant smile so well known to hundreds of Moscow people.

The two daughters, Margaret and Marion, reached Moscow at 11 o'clock Tuesaday, coming from Spokane by automobile, following the long, hard trip from Ohio, by rail. They have been attending school there and left for Moscow upon received a telegram announcing the serious illness of their father, but his death occurred shortly after they had started for home. The heartfelt sympathy of the entire community goes out to the bereaved family in their irreparable loss.

Mr. Byrns had lived in this country since 1889. He and his brother, J.A. Byrns came here in that year. He came from Kansas as the western representative of the Deming Investment Company, and located at Walla Walla, later going to Colfax and then coming to Moscow. He was always an enthusiast and a "booster." Probably as good a description as could be given of Mr. Byrns was expressed by Major E.A. Smith, of Spokane, today, in discussing him. Major Smith said: "I had known Mr. Byrns for a great many years and regarded him as one of the most progressive men in the Inland Empire. He was always constructive and never critical." The last sentence is the best brief description of Mr. Byrns the writer has ever heard.

Mr. Byrns leaves no relatives but Mrs. Byrns and two daughters, his brother, J.A. Byrns, died several years ago.


Harvard--Mr. and Mrs. Johnson of Woodfield have received word that a boy arrived at the home of their daughter, Mrs. E.C. Nelson, at Bovill, May 17.


A daughter was born last night to Prof. and Mrs. G.E. Frevert, of Salt Lake City. The news was received in a telegram to Mrs. Frevert's parents, Mr. and Mrs. L.P. Smith, of Moscow. Professor Frevert is now employed in manufacturing work for the government. Mrs. Frevert was born and reared in Moscow, where the young couple have many friends.


William E. Kauder and Anna Craimer, both of Crescent, Idaho, were granted a marriage license yesterday.


of Johnson and Miss Marie Wood of Moscow were married Saturday evening [May 11] by the Rev. J. Quincy Biggs, pastor of the Christian church at his residence in Moscow. Roy Davis, a brother, and Miss Zula Hooper were best man and bridesmaid. The happy couple left for Spokane where a short honeymoon will be spent, after which they will make their home on Mr. Davis' ranch, near Johnson. The bride is a graduate of Creekmur's business college of Moscow.


Mr. Raleigh Albright and Miss Lora Brackett were married at the home of Miss Brackett in Lookout last Tuesday [May 7]. Miss Brackett was a teacher in the Juliaetta schools and Mr. Albright lived in Moscow for many years. Mr. Albright is a nephew of G.F. Albright of this city.


The will of Mrs. Roxy L. Jester, who died recently in Minnesota, was filed for probate today. Mrs. Jester formerly lived in Moscow and much of the estate is in Latah county. It consists of notes, mortgages and securities valued at $7,000. Her son, Charles T. Jester, is made executor of the will, which requests that the estate be probated in Latah county. Mr. Jester is well known in Latah county.

Submitted: 01/01/06

Tags: (Please limit tags to surnames found within the article above)

Views: 75 views. Averaging 0 views per day.
In the most recent 30 day period, there've been 0 views.

Items (articles, comments, etc.) placed on the Newspaper Abstracts website and associated mail lists remain the property of the contributor. By submitting any item to this site, the contributor has granted permission to the Newspaper Abstracts website and associated mail lists to permanently display and archive the item(s) online for free access to the site visitor.