Discover Your Ancestors in Newspapers 1690-Today!
Last Name
The Idaho Post
The Idaho Post
Contributed by Kathleen Peck Probasco

Date: June 28 1918

Newspaper published in: Moscow, Idaho

Source: University of Idaho Library

Following an illness of two weeks from mountain fever, the result of the bite of a tick, received while upon a visit near Kallispel, Mont., Richard Burke, appraiser for the Federal Land bank of Spokane, passed away at his home, 620 So. Adams street, at 7:15 this morning. Death was not unexpected and his family for hours had been gathered about the bedside in anticipation of his release from suffering.

Mr. Burke suffered the tick-bite on June 6, while at his duties of farm inspection and appraisement for the Spokane Land bank. He failed to recognize the seriousness of the bite until the poison had spread through his system; and, indeed, it was only through the intercession of Professor Otis Randall, formerly of Moscow, but now of Kallispel, who realized his condition and accompanied him a portion of his journey that he was persuaded to return home. He reached here Sunday of last week, his condition all but hopeless. Until death released him, he was an agonized sufferer.

Richard Burke came to Moscow seven years ago, as state manager for the Pioneer Life Insurance company of North Dakota. He chose this city as his home because of its educational advantages, and his two daughters, Misses Mary and Ada Burke, have since graduated from the University of Idaho. He was at one time secretary of the Moscow Commercial Club, was a member of the Moscow B.P.O. Elks' lodge, and of the local Council of Knights of Columbus. In the latter order he was one of the leaders in the state. About a year ago he was appointed appraiser for the Spokane Land bank, and has since been employed at those duties.

Mr. Burke was born near Iowa City, Iowa, Sept. 20, 1854, and grew to manhood on an Iowa prairie farm. He educated himself, graduating from Iowa State college in 1879, after having taught school in the winter and worked in a printing office to pay his way. For two years then he practiced his profession of civil engineering and then, the call of the printers' ink summoned him back and he established the Reporter, at What Cheer, Iowa. On September 29, 1883, he married Miss Menza Rosecrans at Sigourney, Iowa. To them were born six children: Harry R. Burke, of the Portland Telegram; Thomas A. Burke, deputy district attorney at Oregon City, Ore.; Lieutenant William A. Burke, U.S.A., Camp Dodge, Iowa; John Nugent Burke, who sailed for France with a United States engineering army unit last week without knowing of his father's illness; Mary Elizabeth Burke, principal of the Genesee High school; and Ada Eulalia Burke, who graduated from the university this year.

"It was as a country newspaper man that we like to remember my father," said one of the sons this morning. "He was of that fine type that prized above all else ideals. Generous and forgiving, charitable and just, faithful and loyal, chivalrous and honorable, and in 25 years of newspaper work he made no enemies except those who sought to exploit their fellowmen. His financial reward was not great, but he kept his faith and he left to his children a priceless heritage of high ideals and splendid example."

Mrs. Burke and the six children survive. There are also two brothers, John Burke, treasurer of the United States, and Judge Thomas C. Burke, treasurer of the American Cotton exchange. A sister, Miss Emma Burke, was at his bedside at the time of his death.

Throughout his life Mr. Burke was a devout Catholic. The funeral services will be held at 10 o'clock tomorrow morning at the Catholic church, the Rev. Father P. Pecoul officiating. Interment in the Catholic cemetery.


Henry C. Eustler died at the family home in Moscow, Saturday [June 22] at the age of 75 years. Mr. Eustler was a pioneer of the west. He was born at Springfield, Mo., January 7, 1843, and died June 22, 1918. He came west, locating in California, in 1876, and later settled in Whitman county, Wash., near Colton. He moved to Moscow several years ago and has made his home here continuously since. Funeral services were held at the family home, 120 South Almond street, at 2 o'clock Monday afternoon, June 24. Mr. Eustler was the father of 12 children, of whom nine are living, all of them but one, Mrs. Clara Randall, of Portland, being present when death came. One son and eight daughters survive him. [See below.]


Cyrus Milan, a 17-year-old Lewiston boy, and Tim Emerson, 17-year-old Pullman boy, were drowned in Snake river Sunday [June 23] at Silcott shortly after noon. The body of Milan was recovered about 4 o'clock in the afternoon, but a report from Silcott at 8 o'clock last evening said the efforts to recover Emerson's body had been unsuccessful.

Both boys were fully dressed, Milan first going into the river to save the life of Miss Shelona Witter, of Moscow. He brought the young lady to a point where she could be reached from shore and as she was rescued, he exclaimed, "I am all in," and sank beneath the current. Emerson plunged into the river to save his friend and both boys perished.

The boys went to the river shortly before noon, where a number of young people were bathing. Some of the girls were learning to swim and Miss Witter was included in this number. The bathers were using a boat and Miss Witter held to the side of the boat until she was towed into deep water and then she let loose to swim to shore. She had proceeded but a short distance when she called fror help and Emery Pearce first went to her relief. It seems that Miss Witter grasped Pearce in such a manner as to suppress his breathing and he was compelled to break loose. Milan then entered the water, fully clothed and was completely exhausted when he brought the young lady within reach of the short and was carried away before aid from shore could be extended.

Cyrus Milan had lived with his mother in the eastern part of the city for the past several years. The home was in Lewiston during the winters and for the past several years both mother and son have worked for White Bros. & Crum on the lower river.

Tim Emerson was the son of R.A. Emerson, of the Emerson Mercantile company Pullman, and was a brother of J.N. Emerson, who recently opened Emerson's cloak and suit house in Lewiston. The search for the body is being continued today.

Both young men were industrious, enjoyed the highest regard of their employers and the friendship of all who knew them.

C.E. Witter, of Moscow, was there and rushed into the water and helped save his daughter. Mr. Witter is loud in the praise of the bravery of the two young men who gave their own lives in an effort to save his daughter. Miss Witter has recovered from her experience, but is still in a very nervous condition.


Frank A. Jameson, of Moscow, was killed in action on June 13. Mr. and Mrs. C.D. Jameson, parents of the young hero, received this sad intelligence in a telegram from Adjutant General McCain, at Washington, D.C., Tuesday. The telegram was addressed to Mrs. Jameson and briefly stated: "Deeply regret to report Frank A. Jameson, of the Engineers, was officially reported killed in action on June 13."

The young man is well known in Moscow, where he lived from childhood. His father, Charles D. Jameson, is foreman of one of the departments of the Idaho National Harvester company. The young man was a graduate of the Moscow high school. He enlisted in the Lewiston company of Idaho National guards and went into the service when that body was inducted into the national army. He was in Company F, Second Engineers, with the American Expeditionery Forces in France. His death will cause genuine sorrow in Moscow, where the young man was a great favorite. He leaves his parents and several brothers and sisters and hundreds of sincere friends here.


Glen Grice, county corner, was called to Harvard today by a telephone message stating that George Crocker, a farmer, had been killed there. Crocker is said to have fallen from his wagon, breaking his neck. His son, 17 years old, was said to have been with him.


The will of Henry Eutsler, who died lasst week, was filed for record. The will leaves the property, consisting of real estate valued at $3,000, in Moscow, to the widow Mrs. Henrietta Eutsler.

Roy R. Moerder has filed a petition for letters of administration of the estate of his mother, Mrs. Pauline Moerder, who died here recently. The property consists of five acres east of Moscow.


The funeral of Mrs. C.O. Brown, who died in Los Angeles Sunday [June 23], has been postponed until tomorrow (Friday) at 2:00 o'clock. The postponement is due to the fact that her son, E.N. Brown, who is in Canada, cannot reach Moscow until tomorrow forenoon. The body, accompanied by Mr. and Mrs. S.M. Griffith, arrived from Los Angeles on the I.W.R.&N. last evening at 5:00 o'clock, and is now at the Grice undertaking parlors. [See below.]


Word was received here that Mrs. C.O. Brown, among the best-known of Moscow pioneer women, died at Los Angeles Sunday morning [June 23] and the body is being shipped to Moscow for interment. It will arrive here Wednesdady evening and the funeral will probably be held from the Presbyterian church Thursday. The body is being accompanied to Moscow by Mr. and Mrs. G.M. Griffith, Mrs. Griffith being a daughter of Mrs. Brown.

The news of Mrs. Brown's death will be a shock to her hundreds of friends in Moscow and northern Idaho. She has been in ill health for some time, but had improved so much that her ultimate recovery was expected.

She had been in a local hospital for several weeks, but about 10 days ago, was regarded as sufficiently recovered to make the trip to Los Angeles, where she wished to spend the summer with her daughter. The telegram announcing her death was the first word received from her since she left Moscow.

Mrs. Brown had lived in Moscow for more than a quarter of a century. She was widely known and loved by all who knew her. She leaves a son, E.N. (Nat) Brown, and two daughters, Mrs. S.M. Griffith, of Los Angeles, and Mrs. John P. Mix, of Orofino. Mr. Griffith wired to Glen Grice, funeral director, asking him to take charge of the funeral and stating that he and Mrs. Griffith are accompanying the body to Moscow and will reach here Wednesday evening.


Mrs. William Hunter received a telegram from Mr. Hunter, who was called to Wallace yesterday by the announcement that Jay G. Croskey could not live, stating that Mr. Croskey had died at 1 o'clock yestereday afternoon, before Mr. Hunter reached Wallace. Mr. Croskey was well known here. He worked for six or more years as druggist in the Willis drug store before going to Wallace to engage in the drug business for himself. While here he married Miss Minnie Campbell, a niece of Mr. Hunter, who survives him. There are no children. The funeral will be held at Wallace tomorrow. Mr. Hunter will not return to Moscow until after the funeral. Mr. Croskey's parents live in Ohio.


A son was born this week to Mr. and Mrs. John Tabor, living near Linnville.


A son was born several days ago to the wife of Frank Wade, who is at Camp Lewis. Mr. Wade came home for a few days to see his new heir, but leaves tomorrow for Camp Lewis, and may be sent to France any time. Mrs. Wade is at their home on North Washington street.


Mr. F.C. Tierney, a former resident of Latah county, Idaho, recently died at Enterprise, Ore. He was a first-class citizen, and both he and his family stood high in our community.

The following is taken from The Record-Chieftain, a weekly paper published at Enterprise, Ore.:

"Funeral services were conducted on Monday for F.C. Tierney, who died Thursday morning, May 30, 1918, of heart trouble. Mr. Tierney had suffered from a severe attack in the late winter, but had recovered so that he could be out. He was not strong, however, and had to be very careful not to overdo. The day before his death, Mr. Tierney complained a little, but his condition was not thought worse than it had been. Early Thursday morning he grew worse, and passed away, apparently without pain or struggle. The funeral was conducted by Father Stack at the Catholic church and burial was in the local Catholic cemetery.

"Mr. Tierney was born at Ottawa, Canada, March 15, 1850, and spent the early part of his life in that locality. When a young man he moved to Larned, Kansas, where he was married, August 24, 1877, to Hanna Mary Simmons, who survives him. Four children were born, all of whom are living. They are Mary Ellen Stevens, Woodland, Cal.; Anna Vida Dillon, Oakland, Cal.; Lieut. Francie C. Tierney, dental corps, A.E.F.; Dennis William Tierney, Enterprise. All except the brother in the army were at the funeral. A brother of the deceased, James John Tierney, lives at Whitebird, Idaho.

"For many years Mr. Tierney lived at Moscow, Idaho, where he had a good ranch. As one son had come to Enterprise, the father and mother followed him four years ago. Mr. Tierney was a quiet, kindly man, with many friends."


The supreme court has sustained the district court in its conviction of William S. Ward, who was found guilty of adultery by a jury in the district court here on November 20, 1917. The case was appealed to the supreme court, which has sustained the lower court and Ward will have to serve his sentence of from one to three years in the penitentiary.

Ward has been held at the county jail since his conviction, but has been treated as a trusty and given the freedom of the court house grounds. He has done janitor work, kept up the fires during the winter, carried wood and made himself generally useful.

Ward's alleged victim was Charlotte Margaret Cooper, daughter of a farmer living near Moscow. She was 18 years old last September. She testified that Ward, although married (a second time), had promised her he would get a divorce from his wife and marry her.

Mrs. Ward has been living in Moscow and visits her husband regularly at the county jail. A.L. Morgan was attorney for Ward and he was prosecuted by F.L. Moore, county attorney. Mr. Morgan received a telegram stating that the decision of the lower court had been affirmed. The case attracted much interest when it was tried last fall. Ward seems to be a very pleasant and intelligent man.

Submitted: 01/12/06

Tags: (Please limit tags to surnames found within the article above)

Views: 125 views. Averaging 0 views per day.
In the most recent 30 day period, there've been 1 view.

Items (articles, comments, etc.) placed on the Newspaper Abstracts website and associated mail lists remain the property of the contributor. By submitting any item to this site, the contributor has granted permission to the Newspaper Abstracts website and associated mail lists to permanently display and archive the item(s) online for free access to the site visitor.