The Idaho Post
The Idaho Post
Contributed by Kathleen Peck Probasco

Date: July 5 1918

Newspaper published in: Moscow, Idaho

Source: University of Idaho Library

Mrs. James W. Barry, who formerly made her home in Moscow, passed out on June 13, at Lantz, Wash., where with her daughter she was spending the summer. Remains were laid to rest in Palouse, Wash.


Harvard--One of the saddest blows that this community has ever experienced occurred here at 9:30 o'clock Thursday morning, June 27, when the news flashed over the country that G.C. Crocker, a prominent farmer living on Big Creek, five miles northeast of Harvard, had been accidentally killed by being thrown one and one-half miles east of town, from a wagon at the Jerome Creek ford.

Mr. Crocker and son Clifford were leaving for Newport, Wash., where they were to deliver a team to the Good-Hopkins Lumber company's sawmill, and had driven into the ford to water his horses. Mr. Crocker stepped out onto the tongue to adjust a line when the team commenced to plunge, throwing him to the ground, striking in such a way that his neck was broken. The team ran about a quarter of a mile when they were stopped by Tom Akers, James Gunton and Sylvan Davis. The latter two being Harvard Boy Scouts in an automobile selling war savings stamps. Clifford was still in the wagon and uninjured when the team was stopped, but unable to get the team under control. Jumping into their car the boys rushed to the scene of the accident, but life had departed before they arrived. Death evidently had been instantaneous.

Coroner Glenn Grice was immediately notified and instructed that the body be taken home. Mr. Grice arrived about two hours later and said that no inquest was necessary, as it was purely accidental.

The funeral services were held from the Woodfell school house, Saturday afternoon, under the auspices of Princeton Lodge No. 113, I.O.O.F. The funeral was one of the largest ever held in this community. The sermon was delivered by Rev. J.T. Dowell, of the Baptist church at Palouse, after which the remains were taken to the Woodfell cemetery, where they were laid at rest. The full Odd Fellows' ceremony was read at the grave.

The pallbearers were D.N. Hornby, William Sexton, E.C. Johnson, W.H. Hengen, F.A. Lienhard, and J.E. Johnson, all close friends of the deceased.

George Clinton Crocker was born near Springfield, Mo., March 341, 1875, and there grew to manhood. He was married February 23, 1902 to Hattie Reeves. He united himself with the Baptist church at the age of twenty, and had been a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows for the past 10 years. The family came west in 1908, moving to their present home in the fall of 1911.

Mr. Crocker was a true believer in Christianity and tried to live up to his beliefs. He was an industrious worker, quiet and unassuming and always ready to lend a helping hand in time of need. He won the friendship and esteem of all whom he met, and may be said to have been without an enemy.

He leaves his wife, three sons, Clifford, Keith and Donald; three daughters, Hazel, Helen and Mildred, and four brothers and one sister in the East to mourn his loss.

A good neighbor has answered the call of "Him Who Doeth All Things Well," leaving on earth a host of friends to mourn his departure and who join in extending their sincere sympathy to the sorrowing relatives in their great bereavement.

Mrs. Crocker and children wish to express their heartfelt appreciation to their many friends for their kind assistance and words of sympathy in their sorrow. [See below.]


Mrs. Amelia Jane Harrison, who died at the home of her daughter, Mrs. H. Nifong, at Lapwai several days ago, was buried at Viola today, the funeral being held at 12:30. Glen Grice, Moscow undertaker, had charge of the funeral. Mrs. Harrison was born in Iowa, May 4, 1842. She leaves six children, 15 grandchildren and five great-grandchildren. She had been a widow for 13 years, her husband having died in 1895. The funeral was largely attended. [See below.]


A very pretty and enjoyable family reunion was held at the home of Mr. and Mrs. Gustave Johnson, Sunday, when the children and grandchildren met at the family home on East Seventh street and spent the day together. There were 36 present, all being members of the family of Mr. and Mrs. Johnson, pioneers of this place. The day was spent in visiting and a splendid dinner was served.

The children of Mr. and Mrs. Johnson are: Miss Hilda, at home; Mrs. Adrian Nelson, of Moscow; Mrs. Frank Gustafson, of near Moscow; Victor Johnson, of Troy; Mrs. Arvid Freeline, of Tacoma; Misses Ellen and Olga Johnson, of Tacoma; Walter Johnson, in the service of his country, now believed to be in France. All were present except the latter and the two sisters who are in Tacoma.

Those present were: Victor Johnson and family, of Troy; Mrs. Freeline and children, of Tacoma; Mr. and Mrs. Conrad Peterson and children; Mr. and Mrs. Frank Gustafson; Judge and Mrs. Adrian Nelson and children and Mr. and Mrs. Ostrom, of Moscow.


A marriage license has been issued to Hiam Franklin Miller and Thelma Jean Cox, both of Endicott, Wash.


Mr. and Mrs. W.E. Lee are the proud parents of a daughter, born this morning [July 1]. Mr. Lee is one of Moscow's best known attorneys and Mrs. Lee has long been a resident of Moscow and both have many friends who will rejoice with them.


Mrs. Ash Pierce entertained for her niece, Miss Carol Ryrie, on Thursday afternoon. About 15 guests spent a pleasant afternoon sewing and chatting. After the luncheon, which was served at two tables, daintily decorated in pink and white, the guest of honor was surprised by a shower of pretty and useful things for her new home.

Miss Ryrie, who is a member of Gamma Phi Beta sorority, leaves Tuesday for Hayward, Wis., where she will become the bride of Mr. Raymond Brink, formerly of the University of Idaho.


Resolution: Whereas, It has come to the knowledge of the Commercial Club that private Frank Jameson of Co. F, 2nd Engineers, has been killed in action, he being the first of the Moscow boys to give his life on French soil;

Whereas, He was held in high esteem by Moscow and the members of this body; be it

Resolved, That we express our deep appreciation for his readiness to serve his country, both at home and abroad; also our appreciation to his parents for giving the best which they had; be it further

Resolved, That we extend our heartfelt sympathy to the bereaved family. His grave being on French soil speaks to us of the sacredness of the world cause for which he gave his life.

Harold O. Perry, David H. Hare, R. Hodgins, Committee


W.W. Clyde, who was stricken with appoplexcy Friday evening, died Saturday night [June 28]. Mr. Clyde was 60 years and 10 months old. He was born in New York state and came west, locating in North Dakota, in the early 60's. In 1877 he came west with L.H. and Hughes Collins, William Longstreet, John Stratton and others, reaching Idaho in 1878. In 1897 he was married to Miss Emily J. Zeitler. Two sons, William Sherman and Elmer Homer and Mrs. Clyde survive him. The funeral was held from the Grice Chapel this afternoon at 2:00 o'clock, Rev. H.O. Perry of the Methodist church conducting the services. Interment was in the Moscow cemetery. He leaves two brothers, George at Spencer, Nebraska, and Edward at Sioux City, Iowa. Mr. Clyde was a well-known farmer living six miles from Moscow.


Mrs. Amelia Jane Harrison died at the home of her daughter, Mrs. H. Nifong, in Lapwai, last Friday [June 28]. The body was shipped to Moscow and will be buried at Viola tomorrow. Mrs. Harrison was 76 years old. The funeral will be held tomorrow afternoon.


Coroner Grice returned Friday from Harvard where he was called to investigate the death of George Clinton Crocker, a farmer living near Harvard, yesterday morning. Mr. Crocker with his 15-year-son, Clifford, had started for Tiger, Wash., with a team belonging to W.L. Bergersdorff, who owns a sawmill at Tiger, and for whom they were going to work. When crossing the Palouse river Mr. Crocker stopped to let the horses drink. The line got under the tongue and he walked out on the tongue to remove it when the team became frightened and ran, throwing him to the ground. He struck on his head, breaking his neck and dying instantly. He leaves a widow and six children, of whom Clifford, the son with him, was the oldest. He was 43 years old. He will be buried by the Odd Fellows. He lives on a farm five miles east of Harvard. The accident occurred two miles from Harvard.


Mrs. Margaret Friedman, wife of J.N. Friedman, died at the family home Wednesday night [July 3] and was buried today from the Catholic church. The funeral was largely attended. Interment was in the Moscow cemetery. Mrs. Friedman's death will cause deep sorrow in a large circle where she was well known. The family had lived in Moscow many years. Her death was due to blood poisoning. She leaves a husband, mother, three sisters and six children, of whom Margaret, aged 20, is the oldest and Bernice and Beatrice, twins, are the youngest. They are aged 10 years. Her sisters are Mrs. W.W. Robbins and Mrs. Joseph Driscoll, of Moscow, and a sister in the east, who, with her mother, was called here by her serious illness and were present when death came. Mrs. Friedman was a leader in the Catholic church, having been president of the altar society for many years, and leaves many friends in that church. The services were conducted by the pastor, the Rev. Father R. Pecoul.

Submitted: 01/14/06

Tags: (Please limit tags to surnames found within the article above)

Views: 128 views. Averaging 0 views per day.
In the most recent 30 day period, there've been 0 views.

Items (articles, comments, etc.) placed on the Newspaper Abstracts website and associated mail lists remain the property of the contributor. By submitting any item to this site, the contributor has granted permission to the Newspaper Abstracts website and associated mail lists to permanently display and archive the item(s) online for free access to the site visitor.