Discover your family's story.

Enter a grandparent's name to get started.

Start Now
The Idaho Post
The Idaho Post
Contributed by Kathleen Peck Probasco

Date: July 26 1918

Newspaper published in: Moscow, Idaho

Source: University of Idaho Library

The will of John Bottjer, who died at Genesee last week, was filed for record with the probate court this week. The estate consists of real estate and personal property valued at $40,000. There are eight children. One son is cashier of the Potlatch bank and another, J.W. Bottjer, has a large ranch in Wallowa county, Oregon.


Moscow Mountain--The announcement of two marriages in this vicinity this week has somewhat surprised people.

John Rogers and Miss Frances Carlson were married in Colfax.

Miss Gertrude Butler was married Saturday to Wm. Stone of Moscow.


A sensation was caused here by the announcement that Rev. R. Rushing, for many years a minister of the Christian church, was arrested by Charles Summerfield, assistant chief of police at his apartments in the Idaho Hotel building about midnight last night in company with Mrs. Dixon, wife of Thomas Dixon, of Moscow. The Rev. Mr. Rushing spent the remainder of the night in the city jail, but was released this morning when his employer agreed to stand responsible for his appearance in court when his presence was desired.

Up to the time of going to press no warrant has been issued in any of the Moscow courts and a strong effort is being made to keep the matter out of court. Charles Summerfield, who made the arrest, when asked about the case said:

"I made the arrest and found Mr. Rushing in a very compromising position. I put him in jail and did not know he had been released as I turned things over to the chief of police when I left shift and have not seen him since."

Chief of Police Stillinger said the matter was up to Mr. Dixon to act upon and nothing would be done until he decided whether he wished to bring action in the courts.

The facts appear to be that for some time there has been talk in the Christian church about the relations of Mr. Rushing and Mrs. Dixon, and that efforts had been made to stop a supposed intimacy between them. Rev. J. Quincy Biggs, pastor of the church, said that he had gone to Mr. Rushing and a well-known woman member of the church had gone to Mrs. Dixon and remonstrated with them, but that their talks had done no good, so a trap was set for them. M.T. Kellogg saw Mrs. Dixon go into Mr. Rushing's room late last night and watched for a time, then he called Mr. Summerfield, who stood guard while Mr. Kellogg secured witnesses, and Mr. Rushing was arrested. Mr. Summerfield went to the Dixon residence and got Mr. Dixon, who went to the Rushing apartments and accompanied his wife to their home. Rev. Mr. Biggs asked that the church be not blamed for the actions of these members, and declared that the church people are trying to break up such practices and will not tolerate them. He said he did not want to shield Mr. Rushing nor Mrs. Dixon, but did not want the church to be blamed because of the wrong actions of some of its members. He said the church will not tolerate such actions and is responsible for the exposure.

Mr. Rushing's wife is in a very critical condition at the home of their daughter in Spokane, where she been for the past two months. He is a man well past middle age, has a wife, several grown children, one son being in the army and has some grandchildren. He acted as supply pastor for the Christian church after the former pastor left and until the present pastor, the Rev. J. Quincy Biggs assumed the pastorate.


Mrs. H.R. Field of So. Harrison street entertained her church friends and a number of her Methodist friends at a birthday luncheon Saturday afternoon, July 13. Many beautiful presents were received by Mrs. Field and all present reported a very enjoyable time.


Word has been received in Moscow of the birth of a son to Mr. and Mrs. L. Myrick, of Montana, both Mr. and Mrs. Myrick are well-known in Moscow, having attended the U. of I.


Today the remains of Lucile Miller and Elizabeth Parsons, who lost their lives while bathing last Sunday [July 21] on the J.K. Luvass farm, northeast of town were buried in the Moscow cemetery. The funeral in the Episcopal church was attended by a crowd so large that but a small portion could gain admittance.

Two white hearses, the one of D.D. Kimball, who assisted Glen Grice in conducting the funeral, and that of Mr. Grice carried the little bodies from their homes to the church and from the church to the cemetery. The funeral services were conducted by the Rev. W.F. Bridge, rector of St. Mark's Episcopal church. The two little caskets sat side by side during the impressive services during which there were few dry eyes in the great gathering of friends of the two afflicted families.

Girls of the Delta Gamma sorority were pall bearers for Elizabeth Parsons, her sister, Lois, being a member of that sorority.

Girls of the Kappa Kappa Gamma were pall bearers for Lucile Miller. The two caskets were fairly buried with flowers, the offerings of friends from far and near.

An immense throng of friends followed the bodies to the cemetery where both were lowered into their last resting places at the same time. As they had given up their lives together in an effort to save a life, so they were laid to rest together in the beautiful cemetery east of town.

The attendance at the services were among the largest ever seen in Moscow. Second street and cross streets near the church were completely blocked with automobiles and the audience outside the church was larger than that inside.

The shocking accident which took from two homes the flowers that brightened them and left deep sorrow, has saddened the entire community. The deepest sympathy is extended to the bereaved families.

Two loving little playmates,
Loved by one and all
Have crossed the beautiful river
To answer their Master's call.
Like birds of the air
They have flown to their nest
From the home of the weary
To the home of the blest.


All of Moscow is sad today because of the drowning yesterday evening of Elizabeth Parsons and Lucile Miller, daughters of two of Moscow's best known families. The two little girls, each just past 10 years old, lost their lives in an effort to save another. Their death came as a blow to their parents, their friends and the friends of the families throughout this entire section.

Mark P. Miller and family had gone with several others to their country cabin near the foot of Moscow mountain to spend the Sunday. There were several automobiles and a large truck loaded with young people. They took their lunch and prepared to have a pleasant time.

Elizabeth and Grace Parsons daughters of Mr. and Mrs. L.F. Parsons were with the others and these two, with Lucile Miller, Mrs. Miller's daughter, went down the little creek wading. They wandered for some distance, finally reaching the artificial pond on the J.K. Luvass farm, where they took off their clothes and went in bathing.

As Grace Parsons, five years old, is the only survivor, just what happened will never be known, but it appears that Grace got beyond her depth and Elizabeth went to her rescue. They evidently struggled and both went down, having stepped into a hole that was beyond their depth.

Lucile Miller went to the rescue and pulled Grace out and then went after Elizabeth, who had sunk. Grace stood on the bank entirely unclothed and screamed for help, then donned a light dress and ran down the road toward the cabin where the others were. This was nearly a mile distant. She met Mr. Barber and a young lady and told of what had happened. Mr. Barber ran to the pond while the young lady returned with Grace to the cabin and several men got into a car and hurried to the scene.

Mr. Barber found the children's clothing on the bank and waded in. He found two bodies on the bottom of the pond in a few feet of water and brought them out just as the others reached the spot.

They were hurried to a local hospital and everything possible done to revive them but in vain. When it was discovered that life was extinct the bodies were taken to the Grice undertaking parlors where they will be held until tomorrow morning, when they will be taken to the Miller and Parsons homes where short private funeral services will be held. A public double funeral will be held at St. Mark's Episcopal church at 10 o'clock, the Rev. W.H. Bridge, rector conducting the services. Interment will be in the Moscow cemetery.

The two little girls were unusually sweet and bright children. Lucile Miller has been attending school in Portland and only returned home for the summer vacation. Her mother, Mrs. Mark P. Miller is well known in Moscow and the sympathy of the entire neighborhood is extended to the bereaved family.

Elizabeth Parsons was one of the brightest and sweetest little girls in Moscow. She was of that happy, sunny disposition that makes friends of everybody. She was a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. L.F. Parsons, well known in Moscow where they have lived many years and she was a great favorite at school.

The two little girls gave their lives for others, just as truly as any hero on the battlefield or field of danger anywhere has made the supreme sacrifice.

This paper extends to the bereaved families the heartfelt sympathy of hundreds of their friends who grieve with them in this dark hour.


Moscow Mountain--Edgar Town was given a surprise party Monday evening [July 22], on his birthday anniversary. About thirty people were present and the evening was spent in dancing. Delicious refreshments were served and a splendid time had by all.


Probate Judge Nelson paid into the county treasury $103.42 as inheritance tax on the estate of George Askwith, who died in a Spokane hospital last fall. Askwith had gone to the hospital with a sister to see another sister who was ill there and died suddenly while visiting the sick sister. He was employed in the store of the Potlatch Mercantile company at Potlatch. The estate amounted to between $3,000 and $4,000. A.A. McDonald, of the Potlatch Mercantile company was made executor. The property was left to Askwith's divorced wife, Mrs. George Weber.


Princeton--Born--To Mr. and Mrs. Steve Bitlake, July the 18th, a boy.


Princeton--Mr. and Mrs. Fred Kinman are very proud of their grandson. Mrs. K. says I am grandma, and not a gray hair in my head.

Submitted: 01/18/06

Tags: (Please limit tags to surnames found within the article above)

Views: 86 views. Averaging 0 views per day.
In the most recent 30 day period, there've been 0 views.

Items (articles, comments, etc.) placed on the Newspaper Abstracts website and associated mail lists remain the property of the contributor. By submitting any item to this site, the contributor has granted permission to the Newspaper Abstracts website and associated mail lists to permanently display and archive the item(s) online for free access to the site visitor.