Discover your family's story.

Enter a grandparent's name to get started.

Start Now
The Idaho Post
The Idaho Post
Contributed by Kathleen Peck Probasco

Date: January 10 1919

Newspaper published in: Moscow, Idaho

Source: University of Idaho Library

The funeral of Frank A. Robinson, our well-known citizen, occurred this afternoon at 1:30 o'clock at the residence on South Washington street.

Rev. Wayne S. Snoddy conducted a short service at the home, to which the immediate friends of the deceased were admitted, since a public indoor service is not permitted under the present quarantine. A quartet from the Presbyterian choir sang two beautiful well-known hymns. The Blue Lodge of the Masonic order had charge of the ceremonies at the grave. The pallbearers were Francis Jenkins, J.S. Heckathorn, Homer David, L.F. Parsons, Glen Sanders, and Tom Wright.

The casket was of solid steel, hermetically sealed. The floral remembrances were many and beautiful. The Masonic order presented a beautiful piece representing its emblems; the Elks, a lovely wreath; the Rebekah lodge of Genesee, a beautiful spray; the N.B.B.O.O. club of Moscow, a handsome wreath and many friends, sprays of flowers.

James Robinson, a brother of the deceased arrived today from Leweiston. Mrs. Phillips, a sister in Portland, had undergone an operation just four days ago and was unable to attend.

A number of friends from Genesee were here to pay their last respects.

Following is a poem Mr. Robinson had carried with him for several years:

"He is out of the chaos of living,
The wreck and debris of the years;
He has passed from the struggle and striving,
He has finished his goblet of tears;
He has ceased one by one from his labors,
So we clothed him in garments of rest,
And he entered the chamber of Silence;
God do for him now what is best.

"We saw not the lift of the curtain,
Nor heard the invisible door,
As he passed where life's problem uncertain
Will follow and vex him no more;
We lingered and wept on the threshold,
The threshold each mortal must cross,
Then we laid a new wreath down upon it,
To mark a new sorrow and loss."


The marriage of Miss Marguerite Allen of Boise and Rowlie Campbell of Meadows, Wyo., December 28, will cause surprise to their many friends although the engagement was informally announced before the war. Miss Allen, who is the head of the domestic science university extension department of Wyoming, having graduated from this department from the University of Idaho, was surprised to see her fiance appear just after Christmas, he having obtained his discharge papers from the army. The young couple decided, after an exchange of telegrams with their relatives, to be married at once. They will make their home at Meadows, where the bridegroom will resume the business which he left when war was declared.

Miss Allen was one of the popular Boise girls and one of the honor students in the domestic science department of the university.


It will be learned with deep regret by the entire community that J.E. Nessly, editor of The Star-Mirror, did not reach his son in time to see him alive, for death had occurred several hours prior to Mr. Nessly's arrival in Seattle, at his son's bedside. Mr. and Mrs. Nessly left Moscow on Sunday, and although they had been informed that the young man was desperately ill they had no reason to believe that the crisis would occur so soon as it did. The young man died of heart failure following influenza.

F. Leonard Nessly was born and reared in Whitman county and was educated in the schools of Colfax and Pullman. Besides his parents he leaves a brother, Will, who is in the army, and a sister, Mrs. T.A. Ball, of Pullman.

The funeral of the young man will be held in Seattle on Wednesday. Mr. and Mrs. Nessly will return to Moscow the latter part of the week.


Mrs. Sarah Estes, one of our oldest residents, celebrated on New Year's Day her 86th birthday, at the home of her son, J.W. Estes. The members of her family were present to wish her the happiness of the season and congratulations for her many years.


The friends of Mrs. W.A. Sawyer of Portland, formerly Miss Signe Eggan of this city, will be pleased to know that a little daughter appeared at her home, Dec. 31.


Mrs. P.W. Cooper has received the sad news that her son, Harry [Cooper], died of influenza at Enterprise, Oregon. Rev. P.W. Cooper is a minister of the Church of God and is now in Enterprise.


Word has been received that a daughter was born to Dr. and Mrs. Byron Sherman of New York. Mrs. Sherman was formerly Miss Icy Curtis of Moscow. Dr. Sherman is a physician at Belleview hospital, New York City.


Max Ebel left this morning for Genesee, to manage the large farm for his mother, his brother George [Ebel] having died two weeks ago of influenza.


Born, to Mr. and Mrs. E. Broadley, who live near Moscow, on December 26, a daughter.


Mrs. Addie Perry arrived from Coeur d'Alene where she was called by the death of her daughter-in-law, Mrs. Josephine Perry. [See below.]


A very pretty wedding occurred Saturday evening [January 4] at the Methodist parsonage, when Miss Maud Joslin became the bride of Edward Carlson. The event was announced to take place Sunday at Juliaetta, but the parties interested stole a march on their friends and the ceremony was performed Saturday in Moscow, by the Rev. Mr. H.O. Perry. This happy event is the culmination of several years' romance, Mr. and Mrs. Carlson having been childhood friends.

Mrs. Carl Carlson, the bride's sister, of Juliaetta, and Miss Amy Carlson were in attendance.

Mr. Carlson will return to New York in the navy, Jan. 15th. Mrs. Carlson will still hold her position with Davids', where she has been employed a long time.


A particularly sad case of death by pneumonia following influenza is that of Mrs. Joseph T. Perry, the news of whose passing away in Coeur d'Alene yesterday has just been received by relatives in Moscow. Mrs. Perry's husband is in France and has been expecting recently to be ordered home at almost any time. He is a Moscow boy and enlisted as a volunteer in the Idaho National Guard, company F.

Mrs. Perry was a charming young woman of sterling character. On the occasion of a visit to Moscow last summer she made many friends who will be deeply grieved over her untimely death.

Mrs. Addy Perry, the mother of the bereaved husband, left for Coeur d'Alene on New Year's day to nurse her daughter-in-law.

The sympathy of the community is extended to Mrs. Perry and to her daughters, Miss Abbie and Miss Mary.


Ben Lookingglass, one of the leading men of the Nez Perce Indians, as well as one of the wealthiest, died suddenly Saturday morning [January 4] of heart failure. He had been in his usual health up to the night before, when he was stricken and lived only a few hours. The funeral was held Monday afternoon, there being only a service at the grave in the Indian cemetery north of town. Lookingglass was sixty-four years old and had lived all his life in the vicinity of Kamiah. In his early years he was one of the powerful men of this once powerful tribe and later became one of its councilors and much respected men. He was one of the largest land holders of the tribe, owning hundreds of acres of fine land on the Nezperce prairie, as well as having other property and money. His wife died a number of years ago and of a family of twelve children all have died excepting his son, Dave, who is the sole heir of his father. A brother, Henry, of Kamiah, and two sisters, Susie, of Kamiah, and Martha, of Lapwai, survive him. --Progress


Cornwall--Clarence McGarvey, who was called to Moscow by the death of his mother, Mrs. M.M. McGarvey, expects to return to his home in Canada this week.


S.T. Chambers, better known over the upper Palouse as "Uncle Tom," passed away at the home of his son, Joe Chambers, on Chambers Flat, December 30th, of old age.

Samuel Thomas Chambers was born in Indianapolis, Indiana, June 20, 1832 and there grew to manhood. At the outbreak of the Civil War he enlisted in an Indiana regiment and served the full four years, being with Grant at the seige of Vicksburg and later in the army of the Potomac.

On March 4, 1866, he was united in marriage to Miss Johann at Bell and in the summer of 1872 the family crossed the plains by ox-team and settled in Whitman county, Wash., where they lived until January, 1884, when they came to the upper Palouse river country, on the flat which still bears his name. Since the death of Mrs. Chambers in 1904, Mr. Chambers has lived among his children, and for more than a year had been practically helpless. Though nothing unusual was noticed about his condition until a few days before the end, when it could be seen that he was growing weaker. On Sunday he did not awake but lay as one asleep all day, and at 9 o'clock on Monday morning, another of the few remaining "pathfinders of the West" crossed that great divide from which there is no returning. The remains were taken to the Freese cemetery Wednesday, where, after a brief service at the grave, they were laid to rest.

Deceased is survived by two daughters, Mrs. Orpha Cochrane of Chambers Flat, and Mrs. George Bay of Meadow Creek, and three sons, Eudoris of Reubens, Idaho; Ulysses, of British Columbia, and Joe, who resides on the old home place. All were present at the funeral except the son, Ulysses, who dould not get here.


Harvard--A baby girl arrived at the home of Mr. and Mrs. W.J. Parker, December 28th.


Princeton--Mrs. H.L. Hawkins went to Avon Saturday to attend the funeral of her old neighbor, Mrs. M. Custer, interment being made in the cemetery at Avon. She was 88 years old and had lived with her son, Milford, on the farm 29 years, where she died.

Submitted: 01/23/06

Tags: (Please limit tags to surnames found within the article above)

Views: 130 views. Averaging 0 views per day.
In the most recent 30 day period, there've been 2 views.

Items (articles, comments, etc.) placed on the Newspaper Abstracts website and associated mail lists remain the property of the contributor. By submitting any item to this site, the contributor has granted permission to the Newspaper Abstracts website and associated mail lists to permanently display and archive the item(s) online for free access to the site visitor.