Contributed by Loren H
Description: Dedication Of New Methodist Church(along with history of church)Date: September 13 1910
Source: my granary
The new First Methodist church of Raton one of the finest houses of worship in the southwest was formally dedicated here this evening in the presence of a large crowd.
The basement walls are built of cut native stone, the remainder of the walls of pressed brick with cement trimmings around windows and for coping at the roof line.The windows furnished by friends and members of the congregation and church, are works of art. Particularly noteworthy are the designs and tintings of the three magnificent rose windows on the east, north and south.
The basement or Sunday school room is almost on a level with the main entrance and will seat about 600. To the rear are the kitchen and furnace rooms while in the front are commodious class rooms.
Ascending from the same entrance is the main stairway leading to the auditorium proper. The floor has a pitch of one in ten and by the semicircular arrantgement of the seats, the rostrum is easily visible from all parts of the spacious room. Immediately behind the speaker's platform is located the choir loft with accomodations for fifty.
The pulpit furnite is of massive waxed golden oak,leather upholstered. The seats are of waxed fumed oak. The carpet is Brussels.
On the same level are the mother's sitting room,the choir room and the pator's study.
The balcony with 229 opera chairs finished in fumed oak completes the picture of an almost perfect church building.
In the summer of 81 a petition signed by a number of Raton people, requesting the settlement of minister among them as addressed to the officials of the Methodist Episcopal church for the territories of Arizona and New Mexico. In response, Rev J A Callen was appointed to the work on August first and took up the active pastorate on teh 29th of the same month with a class of 25 active members.
On November first the first quarterly conference was held under the leadership of Rev Thomas Harwood D D then superintendent of missions for the territories.
On the ground donated by the Townsite company, a building was erected. Referring to the conditions of the community at that time and particularly to the buildings,Rev Mr Callen wrote in the church record: There are but few buildings on Railroad street and most of the people live in box cars. For a brief time after the resignation of Mr Callen in 83 the church was without a pastor.
In February of 84,however,the Rev J W Sinnock who was here with his family,partly for recreation and partly in search of more robust health was appointed to the pastorate.
He entered upon his duties immediately and pushed the unfinished building to completion. Mr Sinnock continued his work as pastor for approximately three years.
The contract for the present $28,000 edifice was let to C D Stevens on July 20 1907.. On the 6th of August the work of razing the old building was begun. The first week of January 1908 saw the laying of the corner stone. The present pastor,Rev Charles J Dickey A B came to Raton from Chicago in December of 08 exchanging with Rev William Reace,under whose leadership the new undertaking was inaugarated. The chuch now has 200 members.