Discover your family's story.

Enter a grandparent's name to get started.

Start Now
The Idaho Post
The Idaho Post
Contributed by Kathleen Peck Probasco

Date: December 24 1920

Newspaper published in: Moscow, Idaho

Source: University of Idaho Library

M.E. Washburn, who has just returned from Elk creek, reports the shooting of an Indian, mistaken for a deer, by his partner which resulted fatally. The shooting occurred a mile and a half up the mountain side from the Steiner place near the mouth of Elk creek and happened Tuesday. Mr. Washburn and J.E. Meek were on their way returning to Moscow when the Indian came down the mountain to seek help at Steiner's and met them there. A telephone message was sent to Lewiston for a physician and the Indian was brought to Steiner's. No hope was held by the doctor for the wounded Indian who died within an hour after being brought down.

The dead man, whose name was Red Heart, was shot by his nephew, Jim Moore, who mistook him for a deer, the shot taking effect in the left shoulder, piercing the lung. The remains were taken to Lenore for burial, the home of the two Indians.


Mrs. Elizabeth W. Nessly, mother of J.E. Nessly, of Moscow, died at the home of her son, A.E. Nessly, Stockton, California, Tuesday [December 21], at the age of 91 years and 10 days. Her death was due to old age. She had been feeble for a year, but was not confined to bed and a short time ago posed for her photograph in the garden of her son's home.

Mrs. Nessly was born in England, December 11, 1829, and came to America with her parents when a small girl, and the trip across the Atlantic occupied 42 days. The family settled in Ohio, much of that state being a wilderness, and they "grubbed out" a farm in Carrol county, the land now being the center of a great coal mining district.

During the Civil war she was united in marriage with the Rev. J.F. Nessly, a Methodist minister, and they "went west" at the close of the war, arriving at St. Joseph, Mo., the day Lincoln was shot. Rev. Mr. Nessly was a pioneer Methodist minister and built the first "North" Methodist church in Kansas City, Mo., and the first Methodist churches in Ottawa and Wichita, Kansas.

In 1894 Mr. and Mrs. Nessly came west to be near their two sons, and in November, 1903, Mr. Nessly died at Tekoa, lacking but 13 days of having been in the ministry 60 years.

After her husband's death Mrs. Nessly made her home at Tekoa for a time and spent several years in which she visited each of three sons, one at Wichita, Kansas; one in California, and one in Whitman county, Washington, every year, making the round trip each year until she was well past 80 years of age. Four years ago, this month, when 87 years old, she made the trip to California, alone, and had since made her home with her youngest son, A.E. Nessly.

She was a woman of remarkable strength, vigor and determination, and until four years ago was an active worker, always raising a garden, flowers and chickens, when she had the opportunity and she contended that this activity was, in a large part, responsible for her remarkable good health.

She was the oldest of a family of 12 children and the mother of four sons, and outlived, by many years, all her brothers and sisters, and outlived two of her sons, one of whom died less than two years ago, but of his death she was never told. She had many friends in Oakesdale, Tekoa and Pullman, where she resided for many years.

Interment will be at Stockton, California, that being her expressed wish. She is survived by two sons, A.E. Nessly, of Stockton; and J.E. Nessly, of Moscow; a granddaughter, Mrs. T.A. Ball, of Moscow; a grandson, William V. Nessly, editor of the Wichita, Kansas, Daily Eagle; and four great-grandchildren, the children of Mrs. Ball.


Kendrick--On their return from their honeymoon trip to Spokane last week Mr. and Mrs. Cecil Emmett were showered with beans at the depot instead of rice. The floor was white with beans after the shower.


Juliaetta--It is rumored that Rev. H. Tudor, of the Methodist church of this place, is to be married on Christmas day to Miss Pansy Storms, of Spokane, the ceremony to take place at the home of the bride's parents in that city. The newly married couple will return to Juliaetta after a short honeymoon and make their home in the Methodist parsonage here.


Troy--Mr. and Mrs. Alex Oslund were delighted December 10th with the arrival of a fine baby girl at their home.


Jesse H. Lewis was born in Brethitt county, Kentucky, on May 3, 1830, and ended the long trail at Johnson, Wash., December 11, 1920, aged 90 years, seven months, and seven days.

In March of 1840 the Lewis faily left the blue grass state and located in Andrew county, Missouri. When the war with Mexico was waging Mr. Lewis answered his country's call and served with honor. Later he spent a year in the territory west of the Missouri river in government service among the Indians. It was a year of great hardship and enlivened with a number of narrow escapes from the hostile redskins.

On May 5, 1851, he joined a company of emigrants headed for the Oregon country. They crossed the plains with ox teams. Leaving the Missouri river at St. Joseph they followed the trail of the 49'ers, crossing the Rocky Peak. After following Green river for some distance they headed for Fort Boise, where they rested for a few days. After leaving Fort Boise they crossed the Blue mountains and, following the Columbia river until they came to the south of Mount Hood, arrived at Out Side Settlers Place on September 14, 1851.

The company settled in Marion county. It was here that young Lewis met and wooed Miss Mahala J. Dixon, whom he married on January 30, 1853. Nine children were born to them. Frances Etta, died in infancy, and Alla C. also deceased. the living are George W., of Midvale, Idaho; William M., of Polson, Montana; Mrs. Margaret E. Johnson, of Eugene, Oregon; Mrs. Alice Harrison, of Potlatch, Idaho; Mary J. Lewis, of Johnson, Wash.; Mrs. Ida Little, of Moscow, Idaho; and Irvin Lewis, of Pullman, Wash., all of whom were in attendance at the funeral services. Mr. Lewis also leaves 14 grandchildren and nine great grandchildren.

In 1876 Mr. Lewis sold out his holdings in Oregon and, moving overland with his family, located at Dayton, Washington. A year later he moved to Union flat in Whitman county, where he resided continuously until a few months before his decease, when he moved to Johnson to spend the winter.

Deceased had the distinction of having lived 70 years in the Northwest. Forty-four of these eventful years had been spent in the Palouse country, where he had been one of the stalwart pioneers. Always a public spirited man, he had been identified with every forward move. He was one of the heavy contributors toward the fund for building the first grist mill at Colton.

Mr. Lewis left a work of historical value in the nature of a carefully kept diary, covering a period of over 30 years. The diary chronicles all the events of importance in the county during that period and also daily weather data.

He contributed generously toward the founding fund of Washington State College. He became a charter member of the State Grange. While a citizen of Oregon he served a number of years as justice of the peace with honor. But the record he prized most of all was his consistent christian life. He became a christian over 60 years ago and was faithful unto death. For a quarter of a century he was a godly elder. During all the years of his pilgrimage he was never sick. The first meal ever carried to his bed was taken to him after the fall that resulted in a fractured hip. This accident occurred on November 23 of this year and the shock proved too severe for his impaired constitution. He fell asleep at 5 a.m. on December 11. [See below.]


The many friends of the Rev. I.A. Mow and family, former residents of Moscow, will be shocked to learn of the death of their daughter, Miss Susie [Mow], a former student of the University of Idaho. Her death occurred at Homeland, Florida, where Miss Mow was taken in hopes that the climate night result in restoring her failing health, but the hope was in vain. News of her death was received today by Mrs. Leona Steffin, a close friend of the family. Miss Mow and her brother, Baxter, now a teacher in Bethany College, Chicago, were graduates of the University of Idaho. She leaves her parents, Rev. and Mrs. I.A. Mow, of Weiser, Idaho, her brother, Baxter, and a sister, Annetta Mow, now a missionary in India.


Joseph L. Blalock and Beatrice Fain, of Troy, were married by Judge w.G. Barge, justice of the peace, at his office on Third street Tuesday evening [December 23?] at 6 o'clock. The young couple will make their home on a farm near Troy. Mr. Blalock is a native son, having been born at Troy, was reared in Latah county and served his country during the war. The bride is the daughter of a well known Troy family.


Frank S. Bunker of Amber, Wash., and Marie Oslund of Palouse, Wash., were married at the Methodist parsonage at noon Friday, December 17th, Rev. H.O. Perry officiating. They went directly to Amber, where the young man is engaged in farming.


Florence L. Neal and Lorraine N. Tracy were married at the home of the bride's father, Thursday evening December 6, Rev. H.O. Perry officating. Mrs. Tracy is a well known Moscow girl and Mr. Tracy formerly lived here but is now located at Walla Walla where they will make their home after a short honeymoon at Lewiston.


Lee W. Taylor, of Spokane, and Miss Anna Filer, of Colfax, were married by Probate Judge Adrian Nelson in his office in the court house Monday afternoon [December 20]. The young couple drove to Moscow in a car and left immediately after the ceremony, for Spokane, where they will make their home.


The marriage of Dorothy Emerson to Buck Hunter, which took place at the time of the stock show at Lewiston, has just been learned of by their friends of Moscow. It has been kept secret for a month. The bride is the daughter of M.R. Emerson, who resides four miles west of Moscow, and is still clerking at Mitten's.


Word was received by Moscow relatives of Miss Grace Weeks that on December 1 she became the bride of Donald Taylor, at Boise, Idaho. They will make their home at Boise. Mrs. Taylor is well known in Moscow, she being a granddaughter of Mr. and Mrs. H.D. Smith.


C.A. Jefferies and Hazel Gill, both of Jerome, Idaho, presented themselves to the county clerk at Pocatello last week for a license to wed when they were taken into custody. The couple eloped from Jerome. The girl, being under age, was sent back home.


Marriage Licenses: Cecil Emmett, Kendrick, and Singe Anderson, Troy; Frank S. Bunker, Amber, Wash., and Marie Oslund, Palouse, Wash.; Lee W. Taylor, Spokane, and Anna Siler, Colfax; Elmer Wilhelm, Miles City, Mont.; and Elva Wilhelm, Colfax.


While divorce proceedings were pending in district court, Mr. and Mrs. H.P. Ashley of Orofino met on main street and engaged in a lively scuffle for possession of their only child, the father gaining possession. At police headquarters the child was awarded to the mother pending the decision of the court, which subsequently granted possession to both parents for alternate short periods.


William Lewis, of Polson, Montana and his sister, Mrs. Jonathan Johnson, of Eugene, Oregon, met at the funeral of their father, the late Jesse H. Lewis, here the first of the week, for the first time in 39 years. The children of Mr. Lewis, a pioneer of the Johnson district, were all in attendance at the funeral held at Pullman and the burial held in the Moscow cemetery, and it was the first time in more than a third of a century that they had all been together. Mrs. Pearl Coleman, of Dallas, Oregon, a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Jonathan Johnson, founders of the town of Johson, and granddaughter of the late Mr. Lewis, is now in Moscow visiting at the home of her aunt, Mrs. Elmer Little. She was born and raised at Johnson, Washington.


Pullman Herald--Whitman county lost one of her most progressive citizens early Wednesday morning [December 22] when Jake F. Ailor, for over 35 years a farmer near Johnson, passed to the great beyond. Mr. Ailor had been ill for some time, and had recently undergone operations for appendicitis and for the removal of a pus sac from the liver. His strength failed, however, and his death, though not unexpected, came as a great shock to the community. Mr. Ailor was 51 years of age and had resided near Johnson for over a quarter of a century. He was well known throughout the county as a man of the highest type, honest, generous and progressive.

Mr. Ailor was a member of Mystic Tye lodge at Colton and of Pullman Chapter No. 31, Royal Arch Masons. He was also affiliated with the Johnson camp of the W.O.W.

He owned a valuable 480-acre farm near Johnson and extensive holdings in the Grangeville district and near Palouse, his total farm possessions totaling approximately 1,000 acres.

Deceased is survived by his widow and several children.


A death that will cause much genuine sorrow in Moscow and vicinity occurred at Boise Monday orning, December 20, when Warren D. Robbins, one of the founders of Moscow, crossed the "Great Divide" to that world from whence no traveler returns. Mr. Robbins had been in ill health at the Soldiers Home for months. His daughter, Mrs. Fisher, was with him until a few days ago, when she came to Moscow to visit her sister, Mrs. C.E. Witter. They received a telegram Monday afternoon announcing the peaceful passing of their father.

With Asbury Lieuallen Mr. Robbins owned much of the land on which Moscow now stands. He was at one time a very extensive land owner in this section and conducted a merchandise store here almost 40 years ago. He represented Latah county in the first state legislature, was a member of Anderson post, G.A.R. of Moscow and one of the oldest members of the Moscow Masonic lodge.

Mr. Robbins is survived by four daughters. They are Mrs. Helena R. Fisher, of Los Angeles; Mrs. Ione S. Witter, of Moscow; Mrs. Mildred Gibson and Miss Mattie Robbins, of Boise. He also leaves three brothers and three sisters. They are William and Grant Robbins, of Moscow; Clarence Robbins, of Spokane; Mrs. F.L. White, of Long Beach, Calif.; Mrs. Eva Klinger, of Elgin, Ill.; and Mrs. Sarah Goodell, of Elgin, Illinois.

The funeral arrangements have not yet been announced. They will probably be held at Boise.

Submitted: 07/07/07

Tags: (Please limit tags to surnames found within the article above)

Views: 593 views. Averaging 0 views per day.
In the most recent 30 day period, there've been 32 views.

Items (articles, comments, etc.) placed on the Newspaper Abstracts website and associated mail lists remain the property of the contributor. By submitting any item to this site, the contributor has granted permission to the Newspaper Abstracts website and associated mail lists to permanently display and archive the item(s) online for free access to the site visitor.