Discover your family's story.

Enter a grandparent's name to get started.

Start Now
Stockton Daily Independent
Stockton Daily Independent
Contributed by deesar

Description: June 20-26, 1864

Date: June 1864

Newspaper published in: Stockton, San Joaquin Co., CA

>>MONDAY, 20 JUNE 1864<<

PAINFUL ACCIDENT - Mr. WEEKS, a blacksmith in this city, while repairing a wind-mill, on Saturday, had the 3rd finger of his right hand caught in the machinery and so severely crushed that amputation was necessary. Dr. NORCOM performed the operation. Mr. WEEKS is a fine musician, handles the bow of the violin with the left hand, and he is said to be quite as much annoyed with an idea that the maimed finger will disenable him to handle the musical instrument, as he is by physical pain.

JUSTICE BALDWIN'S COURT - James STEWART, alias "Limber Jim," a man already bearing an unenviable notoriety, was before Justice Baldwin on Saturday, charged with threatening the life of Sylvester THOMAS, at a place near the "Live Oaks." Jim was required to give bonds of $100 or remain in limbo half a year, but was "limber" enough to secure a furlough to go in search of bondsmen - gentlemen whom he is still hunting.

-In the matter of the estate of Bridget DECKER, deceased, L.M. CUTTING and L.E. YATES were appointed appraisers.

ADMITTED to PRACTICE - A.C. BRADFORD, formerly of this city, was recently admitted to practice in the District Court at Virginia City.

GOT THEM ALL - Last evening Deputy sheriff CHOATE arrested a man at the Pacific Hotel in this city as one of the robbers of the Coulterville stage. The man gave his name as John EDMONDS. It appears that he has been lurking around for some time awaiting the return of coin from the mint at San Francisco for gold sent by him a short time ago. All engaged in the robbery are now supposed to be arrested. The first track of them was discovered at Sonora, Tuolumne county, shortly after the robbery took place, by Sheriff BORLAND, who accidentally ascertained that a man had lost a horse, bridle, pistol and considerable money in a gambling house, and that the loser had boasted of having plenty more money where the cash he had lost came from. Suspicion was at once directed towards him, and as it was found out that he had returned from Sonora to Coulterville, Sheriff BORLAND at once started in pursuit and arrested the man. The pistol lost by the man at the gambling table was identified by its proper owner, or rather described by him in such an accurate manner as to leave no doubt whatever of its having been stolen. As soon as the arrested party found that evidences of his guilt were rapidly accumulating against him, he became frightened and made a clean breast of it - confessing his complicity in the robbery and naming and describing the persons of his associates. The particular details given in the confession have been carefully and silently traced by the officers, who appear to have found the confession accurate in a singular degree. He described the man recently arrested in San Francisco and where he would be found; and sure enough just such a man was captured. He described the man arrested in this city last evening, stating that it was the latter's intention to go to a farm a short distance from Stockton to reside and got the gold dust sent below for coinage. This man, it appears, has done all this, as well as personally answering the description of him by the fellow who has turned State's evidence. The officers are entitled to great credit for the thorough and adroit manner in which they have managed the affair.

>>TUESDAY, 21 JUNE 1864<<

MARRIED - in this city, on the 18th inst., by Rev. Father MOTTER; Mr. I.W. SKINNER to Miss Ellen DONAHUE, both of this city.

CATTLE - Mr. Ross SARGENT takes 600 head of cattle from the San Joaquin river, below Shepherd's Ferry, to pasture on the swamp land near Potato Slough, tomorrow. He has a large quantity of dairy stock now grazing on these lands. The pasture is excellent and cattle soon become rolling fat.

SEVERLY INJURED - 2 brothers named BURNS started from Murphys on Tuesday last in company with a teamster named GLOTTS, to go to Silver Mountain. On the way, 6 miles east of Murphys, one of the brothers got into a dispute with GLOTTS, whom he cut in the abdomen, and left alone with his team. GLOTTS' recovery is thought to be doubtful. He was found by a teamster named UNDERHILL, of Angels, who took him back to a house and had him cared for. BURNS was arrested before he got as far as the Big Trees.

>>WEDNESDAY, 22 JUNE 1864<<

SAN FRANICISCO DISPATCH, June 21 - Kate MAHON or MELLON, a servant with Louis SELDNER, was frightfully burned by her dress catching fire today. Her recovery is doubtful.

>>THURSDAY, 23 JUNE 1864<<

MARRIED - in San Joaquin county, at the residence of S.V. TREDWAY, June 21st, by Rev. J.H. MILLER; Mr. David KETTLEMAN to Miss Margaret MEHRTENS.

DEATH FROM MORPHINE - A Kentuckian named ABELS, long a resident at Hornitos, died on the 12th instant from an overdose of morphine. He was a man well beloved by all who knew him.

NOTABLE DEATH - Rev. Father John McGINNIS, formerly past of St. Patrick's Church, San Francisco, and one of the oldest priests of that city, died at his home on Monday morning.

CAPTAIN JOHN BOLING, of Mariposa, died of consumption on the 17th inst. He was the first white man who ever saw the Yo Semite falls and valley, which event of his life happened in 1850, during an Indian war, in which BOLING and his party drove the savages, who took refuge at Yo Semite. BOLING afterward became Sheriff of Mariposa, and was a man very generally known and respected. He died at the age of 42 and leaves a widow and children, who are now in Nevada Territory.

DEATH of a STOCKTONIAN - The New York papers contain a notice of the death of Captain William W. TREMBLEY, of the 178th Regiment New York Volunteers, from the effects of a surgical operation at St. James Hospital, New Orleans, on Sunday, May 8th. Mr. TREMBLEY was a native of New York City and an old resident of Stockton, having settled here in the fall of '49. He was a house carpenter by trade, which business he followed until after the May fire of '51, when he connected himself as book-keeper with Underhill & Bro., who occupied a wooden store on the corner of El Dorado and Main streets, where the theater building now stands. Shortly after engaging as clerk, he became one of the firm of Underhill & Co.; and in '52 or '53, Mr. UNDERHILL sold his interest to Mr. HARROLD, and the firm then became TREMBLEY & HARROLD. They continued in business until about '56 when they closed out and formed the firm of Harrold, Randall & Co., (TREMBLEY), of San Francisco.

Our old residents well remember Mr. TREMBLEY as one of the main pillars of the Presbyterian Church, where he led the choir for many years. He was an exemplary man, a true and consistent Christian, sincerely loved and respected by the whole community - a man always firm in what he thought to be right and true and nothing could swerve him from the right path. He left San Francisco after disposing of his interest in the firm of Harrold, Randall & Co., to Mr. JONES, formerly a resident and merchant at Vallecito, Calaveras county, and went to Georgia where his wife resided. He was a man of a remarkably cheerful disposition, always first in acts of benevolence, and no one have more liberally or cheerfully to alleviate distress or to help the needy. He was one of the first to help organize the Protection Hook & Ladder Company No. 1 of this city, and took a very active interest in all matters appertaining to the Fire Department. When the war broke out he declared his sympathies for the Union, and for these sentiments he was driven penniless from his home, his own wife and family assisting in his banishment. Returning directly from Georgia to New York, he joined the volunteers - receiving a Captain's commission. He sacrificed all for his country, even his life.

We are indebted to George H. SANDERSON, Esq., Chief Engineer of the Fire Department, for the above particulars of Mr. TREMBLEY's career in this State and we are under obligation to Judge UNDERGILL for permission to publish a few extracts of a letter written by Mr. TREMBLEY, while in the hospital at New Orleans, under date of April 23k. The writer says: "I am glad to hear that your Church is prosperous. Although removed from Church influences and where Sundays are as all other days, yet, if with you, and again in civil life, I know that I should partake of your interest in these things. It is too true that Sabbaths and religious teachings and influences are almost ignored and forgotten in the army. This is, in a measure, owing to the inseparable movements and mobility, I may say, of an army in the field, which cannot regard days, however sacred. I try to preserve myself from the contamination of the many vices so usual in the army, the worst of which are drunkenness and profanity."

After giving a lengthy detailed account of the marches, movements and battles his regiment had been engaged in - details of general news already known to the public - Mr. TREMBLEY says: "Gen. BANKS is no doubt a good statesman and in organizing the government and new social condition of this State (Louisiana) has evinced great ability; but this does not make him a soldier. He is reckless of the lives of his men, as is shown in his Cedar Mountain battle in Virginia, and of which little note seems to have been taken; and also in his assaults on Port Hudson - all defeats. A significant fact also is that the soldiers and officers of his department have little confidence in his generalship. This is one of the outside movements that I deprecate. All that it seemed to me necessary to do was to deep this rebel force west of the Mississippi, which is easy enough, and let the rest of the force go to swell SHERMAN's army at Chattanooga, or MEADE's at Richmond. I feel assured that this rebellion will be crushed out speedily; that the leaders and instigators will be consigned to banishment and merited oblivion; that the cause of slavery will be blotted from our statute books; and a renovated land to freedom will rise from the trials of the present, consecrated by the tears and blood which have been shed in the cause of Union, Liberty and Truth."

MARSHAL of the DAY - Geo. H. SANDERSON, Esq., has, by the 4th of July General Committee, been elected Marshal of the Day in place of Major John SEDGWICK, who cannot serve. Likewise, R.B. LANE, Esq., has been appointed a Committee on Carriages. The programme of exercises will be published tomorrow. A canon will be brought from Benicia, accompanied by a squad of soldiers of the regular army, who will fire the salutes.

ON SATURDAY MORNING last Francis McCONNELL, a Sacramento lawyer, was killed by the accidental discharge of both barrels of his gun, while he was driving a wagon on the road near Union Valley above Georgetown. It is supposed that one of the wheels, in running over a rock, had shaken the vehicle and caused the deceased to strike the hammers of the gun with his foot, or in some other way to jar them sufficiently to explode the charges. Deceased was latterly Court Commissioner in the 6th District Court and was a promising young lawyer. He was buried in Sacramento.

>>FRIDAY, 24 JUNE 1864<<

BIRTH - in Coulterville, June 9th, a daughter to the wife of Mr. L.S.S. FARNSWORTH.

BIRTH - in Princeton, June 5th, 1864, a daughter to the wife of William RICHARDSON.

BIRTH - in Princeton, June 6th, 1864, a son to the wife of Mr. F.G. CLELLAND.

DIED - in Mariposa, Tuesday evening, June 14, 1864, little daughter of Mr.&Mrs. SPEAS, aged about 13 months.

DIED - in Mariposa, June 17, 1864, of consumption, Captain John BOLING, aged about 43 years.

MEXICAN KILLED - A correspondent at Jenny Lind informs us that a drunken Mexican named Juan VALENZNELO was shot dead at that place on Wednesday evening last, whist he was in the act of firing a rifle into a crowd of men. He had boasted during the day that he would kill some one before night, and was about executing his threat when some unknown hand caused him to fall. He was shot from behind, and it is supposed the shooting was done by another Mexican.

ARRESTED - A man named BARNES was arrested yesterday upon a charge of assault with intent to murder, preferred against him by Alexander SALMOR. The accused, it is stated, attacked SALMOR with a shot gun loaded with powder and ball. He fired and the ball cut the clothes of complainant. The arrested party will be examined before Justice Brush today.

>>SATURDAY, 25 JUNE 1864<<

COMMISSIONED - Governor Low has commissioned Lieutenant Colonel T.R. MOSELEY, of this city, one of the Aids-de-Camp on the Staff of the Commander-in-Chief. The following gentlemen have been commissioned officers of the California State Militia:
-Henry LEWIS, 1st Lieutenant, Stockton Light Dragoons (volunteer company of cavalry), 3d Brigade
-Charles JONES, Senior 2nd Lieutenant
-J.M. KELSEY, Junior 2nd Lieutenant
-Thomas J. DIXON, Captain, Company F (Liberty Guards), 1st Regiment Artillery, 2d Brigade

-Guardianship of Mary Ann NEFF and others, minors - notices for settlement of annual account order for 2nd Monday of July
-In the matter of the estate of J.H. WOODS, deceased - application of Mrs. WOODS for letters of administration granted on her filing a bond in the sum of $10,000. Thomas HENDERSON, J.C. FOLGER and John THOMPSON were appointed appraisers.

RE-ARRESTED - The man recently arrested as Martin STANELY, for supposed connection with an attempt at burglary at Woodbridge, was taken before Judge Underhill yesterday as James BARRETT, on a writ of habeas corpus, and set at liberty. As bad fortune for BARRETT would have it, he was no sooner set free that Deputy Sheriff Choate again arrested him on a charge of having broken jail and escaped some 2 years ago.

SAD ACCIDENT - A man named MARRIION, lately from San Francisco, had his shoulder blade fractured yesterday by being thrown from a buggy, near the corner of California and Sonora streets. The span of horses became frightened and ran away, smashing the vehicle and throwing 2 men out - one with the result above stated and without injury to the other.

TROUBLE ABOUT LAND - Hamilton BARNES was examined before Justice Brush yesterday on a charge of having assaulted --- SALMOR with a shot gun and firing with intent to murder. It appeared in the examination that BARNES had built a house on land which had been fenced in by the father of SALMOR and sold by the latter to his son who was disposed to force BARNES to vacate the premises by tearing down his house. The house had been once torn down, was again rebuilt, and on the occasion in question, BARNES, as if suspecting something unusual, had secreted himself among some shrubbery near the house when it was approached by SALMOR, Jr., who, as he approached the tenement called out, "BARNES, if you are here, come out and show yourself." No reply was given to the salutation, when SALMOR commenced knocking down the house, and BARNES fired, the ball grazing the former's ribs - hence the charge of assault with intent to commit murder. The plea of the defendant was the protection of property, which was sustained by the Magistrate, who discharged the defendant.

Submitted: 12/13/07

Tags: (Please limit tags to surnames found within the article above)

Views: 134 views. Averaging 0 views per day.
In the most recent 30 day period, there've been 0 views.

Items (articles, comments, etc.) placed on the Newspaper Abstracts website and associated mail lists remain the property of the contributor. By submitting any item to this site, the contributor has granted permission to the Newspaper Abstracts website and associated mail lists to permanently display and archive the item(s) online for free access to the site visitor.