Stockton Daily Independent
Stockton Daily Independent
Contributed by deesar

Description: September 26-30, 1864

Date: September 1864

Newspaper published in: Stockton, San Joaquin Co., CA

>>MONDAY, 26 SEPT 1864<<

BIRTH - in Campo Seco, Sept. 17th, to the wife of James CREIGHTON, of a daughter.

BIRTH - in Camp Seco, Sept. 18th, to the wife of Martin COMPTON, of a son.

BIRTH - in Peterburg, on the 22d instant, to the wife of R.M. REDMAN, of a son.

SHOT HIMSELF - A man named Louis FRYAU, residing at Jamestown, Tuolumne county, shot himself by accident on Saturday last, on Main street, near El Dorado. He had a 4-barreled breech-loading Sharp's revolver in a rear pocket of his pantaloons, which he attempted to draw out in order to get at his money when the hammer became entangled in the edge of the pocket and exploded the cap, driving the ball downwards about an inch and ¾, inflicting a painful wound. A physician was called but the sufferer refused to allow the wound to be probed, so the ball remains untouched. The wounded man started for home on the stage yesterday morning.

COPPERHEAD CONCLAVE - The Dixieites and Doughfaces of this city held a prayer meeting at the Theatre on Saturday evening last, which was called to order by Col. Wm. LANIUS, ex-postmaster, and J.G. JENKINS, lawyer, appointed chairman. The permanent officers elected were:
Edward HICKMAN, of the firm of Gray & Hickman, President
C.M. CREANER, William LANIUS, George DAHL and L.V. LEFFLER, Vice Presidents
A. McSHANE and J.M. HOGAN, Secretaries
Dr. NORCOM, J.M. HOGAN and H.T. COMPTON were appointed a committee to draft a Constitution for the Club, which is to be styled the McClellan Central Club.
Speeches were made by C.M. CREANER and J.H. BUDD, after which the meeting adjourned.

ACCIDENT - A little son of Postmaster Chas. O. BURTON, on Saturday evening last, attempted to jump upon a heavy truck driven by a man named CAMPBELL, while the truck was in motion, and fell beneath the wheels, one of which passed over his thigh. The pain was intense and for a few moments it was thought that the little fellow's leg was broken, but he passed a comparatively easy night and was out on the street yesterday, apparently none the worse for his squeeze.

FATAL ACCIDENT in HUMBOLDT COUNTY, CAL - on September 4th Peter LOTHIAN was examining a bridge which crossed a small stream near Mad river, when a plank gave way and precipitated him several feet on some sharp rocks in the stream below, causing his death. LOTHIAN settled in Humboldt county in 1850. He was the 1st Sheriff of that county.

SHOT - On the 18th instant, John J. SHELDON attempted to escape from the Santa Cruz prison, when he was shot through the head by the jailor and instantly killed.

>>TUESDAY, 27 SEPT 1864<<

DIED - in this city, Sept. 26th, the twin son of Mr.&Mrs. John BAKER, age 5 weeks. [Funeral from the residence of his parents, on California street, between Market and Washington, today at 2p.m.]

COUNTY COURT - C.C. CHRISTIAN, Wm. CHRISTIAN and Geo. ROACHE were admitted to citizenship

-Estate of A.F. NIMS, deceased; motion for decree of allowance of final account and discharge of Administrator, granted
-Estate of J.D. TEVIS, deceased; by stipulation filed, ordered continued for term
-Estate of Henry TROLINGER, deceased; letters of administration granted to J.W. TROLINGER, on filing a bond in the sum of $4000. C.J. BAILEY, A.C. PAULCELL and J.F. GOSLING appointed appraisers
-Estate of Ellen CALB, deceased; petition for final settlement granted on payment of costs of administration
-Estate and Guardianship of Sarah A. and T.M. GRAHAM, minors; letters of Guardianship granted to Jesse S. LEWIS, on filing a bond in the sum of $1000
-Estate of Jabez DAGGETT, deceased; order of allowance to family granted

CAUGHT AT LAST - W.J. FORBES, of the Humboldt 'Register,' has been and gone and got married. His bride was Miss Mary C. MITCHELL, of Coloma, El Dorado county.

MARRIED - on the 25th day of September, 1864, at Murphy's Camp, Calaveras county, by E. BURROWS, Esq.; Wm. COLNON, Jr., of Stockton, to Miss Jennie ROLLAND, of Washington Flat, Calaveras county. [Detroit (Michigan) papers please copy.]

DIED - in this city, on the 27th instant, Ann E., infant daughter of R.G. and Elizabeth PATTERSON, aged 4 months. [The funeral will take place from the residence of the parents, on El Dorado street, between Main and Market, at 3 o'clock this afternoon. Friends are invited to attend.]

DESTRUCTIVE CONFLAGRATION - A fire broke out yesterday morning about 3 o'clock in a shed in the rear of the old City Hotel, which has been vacant for some months. The night was clear and cold, but very calm, and the fire must have gained considerable headway before it raised up into sight. The alarm was first sounded by the watchman of the steamer Helen Hensley, lying at her wharf, and instantly the engines were on the ground. The Webers brought their huge steamer up to the corner of Levee and Center streets, while the Eurekas planted their splendid double-decker on the levee, opposite Wilson's Exchange, which was the eastern extremity of the property destroyed.

The fire burned down the following places of business, 16 in number, to wit:
-CHUN WO & Co., Chinese fish drying and storage house, loss about $3000
-Barber shop, lately occupied by HYER, now vacant, building worth probably $1200
-City Restaurant, occupied by C. MERSFELDER, loss in stock and fixtures about $500 and the City Hotel (vacant), both of which belonged to the minor heirs of BAKER, deceased
-Indian King restaurant, by Nicholas ZELEVEH, insured for full amount of loss in stock
-FISHER & Co., Sacramento and Mariposa stage offices, 2 story building

Here the fire turned up the levee and burnt up a barber shop occupied by a German
-S. LOUIS, fruit store and bar
-Ubaldo SELNA, Helvetia restaurant and bar, formerly known as the Angelo House - this building was owned by BOURS & Co., who had an insurance of $1500 upon it
-G. HUSTON, cigar stand and tobacco factory, loss in stock about $2000
-Vacant building, formerly occupied by S.S. PARKER as a bowling alley
-Saloon closed (fixtures not removed) owned by D. PORTER, having been purchased by him on Saturday last
-United States Restaurant, LEWIS & DARCEY
-Flying Cloud Saloon, James SATTERLEE
-J.H. JONES, boot black shop
-Geo. S. WILSON, fish market and saloon - this building was pulled down to stop the progress of the fire, as the brick buildings adjoining were in dangerous predicament

For a long time SHIRLEY's brick building on Centre street, occupied by the 'Independent,' was threatened with imminent destruction, but the great fire wall, which was about 10 feet above the adjoining buildings, braved the storm of flame. The heat was suffocating and the smoke blinding, but the gallant Webers dashed through with their hose, which burned up almost instantly. At this time the shed which connects our main building with the rear one used as a press-room, editorial office and sleeping apartments - this shed caught fire. All our employes had gone home save 2 of the pressmen and 1 of the proprietors and editor. One man passed up water in buckets from a well in the basement of the building, while the others dashed it on this shed and the roof. The shed was covered with 1 thickness of zinc, and it had already begun to melt and fall like rain; the position was fast becoming untenable, and it was plain that if the 'Independent' office went the whole front of Centre and Main streets must go.

Hotter and hotter burned the flames that wreathed about the shed and it was fast becoming dangerous to life and limb, when a welcome deluge of water from the pipe of Weber Engine struck the 2 men on the roof, soaking them to the skin and nearly knocking them flat on their faces. The building was saved, and with it the entire southern section of the block. For their timely help and aid in the hour of our peril, the brave Weber boys have the thanks that words cannot express; may we live to show them the depth of our gratitude for their bravery and promptness.

The residue of our Department worked on the east end of the fire like beavers, Eureka drafting from the slough and Protection Hook and Ladder tearing down everything they lay their hooks upon. San Joaquin Engine Company only took their large engine apart yesterday morning, and she was not in service, so they got the old "piano" engine formerly used by the Eurekas and brought her down on El Dorado bridge, but she was so badly out of order that it was impossible to work her, so the boys concluded to give it up and help the Eurekas. The firemen did certainly fight the devouring element like heroes, and all tongues are loud in their praise. But the want of a Chief Engineer was sadly apparent at the fire yesterday morning, each company doing just as it pleased, though everything fortunately turned out as well as could be desired, in the way matters ended. We hope that the Common Council will give this matter the attention that its importance demands; it's all well enough to be economical, but there's no need of being picayunish in so important an affair as the protection of property from fire, when a salary of $30 per month will secure the services of a competent officer to supervise the apparatus of the department. Here we were yesterday morning with as good an engine in the hands of the San Joaquin as they could ask for, but, owing to the want of a Chief Engineer to see that it was in proper order, it was unfit for use. The hose, too, was hardly fit to water grape-vines with, for over 26 lengths were burst by the steamer and the Eureka. We hope that the City Fathers will awake from their lethargy and forsake their "penny wise and proud foolish" course in regard to the Chief Engineership. The total amount of property destroyed cannot fall far short of $30,000, of which we estimate 1/3 in the stock and fixtures of buildings destroyed, many of the occupants of houses most remote from the outbreak of the fire having saved considerable of their stock. There will be new and substantial buildings erected on the site of the fire and the old rookeries, that have so long been an eyesore to our people and a bugbear to capitalists who were unacquainted with our city, are removed. "It is an ill wind that blows nobody good," says the old proverb, and we anticipate busy times for our mechanics for the next 3 months.

HONOR TO WHOM IT IS DUE - The citizens of Stockton are under many obligations to Ex-Chief Engineer SANDERSON, for the thorough and efficient manner in which he took the management of affairs at the fire yesterday morning. He resigned the unprofitable and thankless office of Chief Engineer about a month ago, but seeing the department very much in want of a "head and front," took charge of affairs and prevented a general conflagration, which would have been inevitable but for his well directed efforts to save the building occupied by the office of this paper. George H. SANDERSON is one of the most efficient firemen in the State, as well as one of our most estimable citizens, and we feel ourselves under many obligations to him and the Weber Engine Company.

SAN FRANICISCO DISPATCH, Sept. 27th - A teamster named Richard DUNN, from Yreka, committed suicide by taking morphine yesterday. He was not able to procure work and preferred death to begging or starvation.

>>THURSDAY, 29 SEPT 1864<<

HOMICIDE - On Saturday evening last, a man named Augustus ANDERSEN, well known in this city by his nickname of "Dutch Gus," visited a low house of ill fame at the corner of El Dorado and Market streets, occupied by a colored woman and got into some difficulty with her, when she called her paramour (who is a blackmoor) and ejected ANDERSEN from the house. The wretched man got handled very roughly and was thrown upon the ground with such violence as to produce concussion of the spinal column, from the effects of which he died at the County Hospital yesterday afternoon. Coroner BOND at once caused the arrest of the negress and her "friend," who were committed to await the result of the inquest, which will be continued today. ANDERSEN was a native of Denmark, aged 44 years, and formerly resided in Boston, Massachusetts.

CORRECTION - We are informed on creditable authority that Nicholas VEZELEH, of the Indian King coffee house, had over $1500 worth of liquors alone destroyed in the fire of Tuesday morning. Julius PACHE, forwarding merchant, was the 1st person to give the alarm of fire, and soon helped to bring assistance to the scene of disaster.

REMOVAL - The late fire having burned down the El Dorado corner, the stage office of S. & C. FISHER has been removed to the same building as that occupied by M.J. DOOLY & Co.'s line, the entrance being on the levee. Travelers for Sacramento or Mariposa will bear the fact in mind.

CHINESE PHYSICIAN - DR. HO KOON, brother of the late Dr. YON KOON, of this city, having just arrived from China, respectfully begs leave to announce that he will practice medicine at the office of his late brother on Hunter street, adjoining Turn-Verein Hall. No charge for medical advice at the Dispensary.

STEVENSON'S REGIMENT - The 'Alta of the 26th gives the following list of the officers of this advance guard of the great Anglo-American emigration to the Pacific, and furnishes many interesting statistics as to their whereabouts:

The following list of the officers who composed the expedition gives, as near as possible, the names of those dead and the present residence of the survivors:

-Col. J.D. STEVENSON now resides in San Francisco and has never returned to the Atlantic States
-Lt. Col. H.S. BURTON, now in the U.S. Armey, Colonel of Artillery
-Maj. J.A. HARDIE, Adjt. Gen. U.S. Army, at Washington
-Adjt. J.C. BONNYCASTLE resides at Louisville, Ky.
-Dr. Alex. PERRY, private physician in New York
-Asst. Quartermaster Capt. J.L. FOLSOM, U.S.A., dead
-Asst. Com of Subsistence, W.G. MARCY, Paymaster U.S. Navy

Capt. S.G. STEELE, dead
Lt. G.F. LEMON, dead
Lt. G.F. PENROSE, U.S. Army
Lt. Chas. B. YOUNG, Mexico

Capt. J.M. TURNER, New York
Lt. H.C. MATSELL, Mexico
Lt. E.G. BUFFUM, Paris

Capt. J.E. BRACKETT, dead
Lt. T.J. ROACH, dead
Lt. T.R. PER LEE, dead

Capt. H.W. NAGLEE, late General in U.S.A.
Lt. S.A. PENDLETON, San Diego, Cal.
Lt. H.W. SHEALE, banker in Marysville
Lt. J.C. MOREHEAD, dead

Capt. W. TAYLOR, General in U.S.A.
Lt. E. WILLIAMS, New York
Lt. W.E. BUTRELL, Sandwich Islands
Lt. T.L. VERMEILE, dead

Capt. F.J. LIPPITT, Col. 2nd Regiment California Volunteers
Lt. H.L. CARNES, Santa Barbara
Lt. S.M. HUDDART, dead
Lt. I. SHERWOOD, New York

Capt. M.R. STEVENSON, dead
Lt. W.H. WEIROCK, dead

Capt. J.B. FRISBIE, Vallejo, Cal
Lt. Edward GILBERT, dead

Capt. W.E. SHANNON, dead
Lt. H. MAGEE, San Diego, Cal.
Lt. P.B. HEWLETT, Sonoma, Cal.
Lt. W.H. SMITH, California

Capt. K.H. DIMMICK, dead
Lt. J.W.D. JENNINGS, New York
Lt. R.M. MORRISON, dead

This list may not be fully complete, but it is nearly so.


STABBING AFFRAY at AUSTIN, N.T. - The following particulars of an affray at Austin, N.T., are given in the 'Reveille' of Sept. 23d:

Last evening about dark, a stabbing affray occurred in Main street, in the 4th Ward, between John GILHAN and Frederick DINKLE. It seems that both are blacksmiths and that DINKLE had formerly been employed by GILHAN, but had recently established a shop of his own, by which act he had incurred GILHAN's displeasure. Meeting in the shop of GILHAN, the parties quarreled, and after a short tussle separated, and DINKLE left. GILHAN then armed himself with a derringer and dirk and followed DINKLE, overtaking him in a short distance, when DINKLE turned and said, "Are you going to shoot me?" They immediately clinched and scuffled for some minutes, when DINKLE exclaimed, "He has stabbed me!" and ran to KING's saloon, which was near by, where, after taking off a portion of his clothing, he was found to be stabbed several times in and about the abdomen, with his bowels protruding. Doctors CHAMBLIN and THOMAS examined and dressed his wounds. They express the belief that he cannot recover. GILHAN started back toward his shop as soon as DINKLE left, and was taken possession of by the crowd, who took from his person the derringer and dirk, and marched him to the county jail, to which he was committed.

MORTALLY WOUNDED - A man by the name of AVERY, says the Colusa 'Sun,' living on the lower end of Grand Island, was shot a few days since. He and some other men were sitting on a fence, and he either had the gun in his hand, or it was leaning against the fence, when the rail upon which they were sitting broke, and caused the discharge of the gun. The ball passed through his arm just below and above his elbow, and clear through his body. He was alive on Thursday evening, Sept. 22d, but was not expected to live.

FIRES - A fire broke out in the stable of William FLOTOW, at La Grange, Stanislaus county, on Friday of last week, but was extinguished by 2 men passing by, who went in and threw water on it. On Monday night, 26th, the stable of George D. GOOKIN, of Jamestown, was fired by an incendiary, totally destroying the stable and its contents, consisting of 50 tons of hay and 40 cords of firewood. The loss of GOOKIN cannot be less than $5000.

>>FRIDAY, 30 SEPT 1864<<

DIED - in this city, on Wednesday, the 28th inst., Joseph ARSEGA, eldest son of the late Joseph ARSEGA, aged 19 years, 6 months. [Friends and acquaintances are respectfully invited to attend his funeral this afternoon at 2 o'clock, from the residence of Angelo OLIVA, corner of Hunter and Church streets.]

DIED - at sea, on board steamship Constitution, Alice May, youngest daughter of Captain and Hattie N. CUSHING, aged 2 years.

CURIOUS ANIMAL - William ATKINSON, who is in charge of the decoction department on board the Helen Hensley, brought into our sanctum yesterday, a curious beast of the marten species, which he called a "fisher." It was captured in a high tree on Carson river, near Silver Mountain, and though only 3 weeks old, weighs about 8 pounds. He is of a dark brown color, with small head pointed like that of a rat, body long and round like that of a mink, and legs similar to the otter. The beast was very gentle, though timid, and had an intelligent expression in its soft black eyes. It is an expert diver, and swims after fish under water with great ease, and at the next moment ascends a tall tree with the greatest agility. One of its most wonderful instincts is the destruction of rats, which it gobbles up with the greediness that characterized Sheridan's army among the rebels at the battle of Fisher's Hill.

THE RULING PASSION - Jonas P. STOCKWELL, formerly 1st Lieutenant of the Stockton Union Guard of this city, is now Captain of Company B, of the Home Guard of Virginia City, where he now resides. He is a sober, careful man, and will fill any position of the kind with credit to himself and his command.

THE HOMICIDE - One of the HUTCHINSONs (colored), implicated by the verdict of the Coroner's Jury in the murder of Augustus ANDERSON, has been held to answer the charge at a preliminary examination before Justice Brush at 10 o'clock this morning.

SUICIDE MANIA - During the past week no less than 5 suicides have occurred, 3 of which were in San Francisco. At Watsonville, Santa Cruz county, Thomas BRICE, in a fight with Henry WARD, stabbed him so severely that he died, and BRICE was sent to jail to await trial, and while there he contrived to kill himself by swallowing laudanum. At the town of Natividad, Monterey county, on the 28th, Dr. James STOKES, while temporarily insane, took a dose of strychnine and ended his existence.

HOMICIDE at FOLSOM - A man named Perry MOORE was killed at Folsom on Wednesday night, by a man named L. WILSON. It appears that Perry MOORE was the paramour of WILSON's wife, and had publicly lived with her before she married WILSON. That evening WILSON met MOORE coming out of his house; an engagement immediately ensued, in which MOORE received several cuts with a knife, from the effects of which he died in a few minutes. WILSON gave himself up to the civil authorities.

MURDEROUS ASSAULT by a BOY - The Sacramento 'Union' of the 29th says: On Tuesday afternoon, at about 4 o'clock, a boy named Frank SHAY, aged 9 years, was brutally and dangerously stabbed near G and Twelfth Streets, by a boy named Thomas FERRIS, aged 11 years. The 2, who live close together, had been playing on FERRIS' sidewalk, when young FERRIS became angry, dragged SHAY into the yard, drew a jack-knife and stabbed him in the left eye. The upper eyelid was almost completely cut off, and the eye was forever destroyed. The injured boy was taken to the residence of his father, Peter SHAY, where he was attended by Drs. HARKNESS and PEARSON. As a younger child was at the time laying at the point of death, no steps have been taken by the father for the punishment of FERRIS. The author of this crime lives with his mother, his father being dead. In justification of the deed, he states that his father, when living, used to tell him to always fight his way through the world, and whenever he should get into a fight to take a club or anything else in reach and use against his opponent. He is evidently one of the class for whom the Reform School was instituted and should not be permitted to run at large any longer.

Submitted: 02/06/08

Tags: (Please limit tags to surnames found within the article above)

Views: 398 views. Averaging 0 views per day.
In the most recent 30 day period, there've been 3 views.

Items (articles, comments, etc.) placed on the Newspaper Abstracts website and associated mail lists remain the property of the contributor. By submitting any item to this site, the contributor has granted permission to the Newspaper Abstracts website and associated mail lists to permanently display and archive the item(s) online for free access to the site visitor.