Discover Your Ancestors in Newspapers 1690-Today!
Last Name
Stockton Daily Independent
Stockton Daily Independent
Contributed by deesar

Description: April 16-21, 1866

Date: April 1866

Newspaper published in: Stockton, San Joaquin Co., CA

>>MONDAY, 16 APR 1866<<

MUSTERED OUT -- Among the Brigadier Generals of Volunteers mustered out of the United States service, on the 10th instant, as reported by telegraph, we notice the name of General P. Edward CONNOR. General CONNOR entered the service in this city in August 1861, as Colonel of the 3rd Regiment, of California Volunteers, was transferred to the Department of Utah, with his command, in October of the same year, and soon afterwards promoted to the position of a Brigadier General of Volunteers and appointed to the command of the Department, where he has done good service to his country and gained for himself an enviable reputation as a soldier and a gentleman. General CONNOR is now in Washington where he was summoned before the Committee on the Conduct of the War, and expects to be in Stockton during the coming month of May.

RETURNED -- T.G. McDONALD, for many years a resident of Murphy's, Calaveras county, passed through this city on Saturday last on his return from Phranagate, situated somewhere near the dividing line of Nevada and Arizona, where he has been on a trip of exploration during the last 2 years.

SAN FRANCISCO DISPATCH, Apr. 15 -- Alex. HUNTER, formerly Sheriff of El Dorado county and Sheriff of Storey county, Nevada, at the time of the outbreak of convicts last year, died yesterday. He will be buried by the Masons tomorrow.

>>TUESDAY, 17 APR 1866<<

MARRIED -- in Lynn, Massachusetts, March 13th, by Rev. F. WOODS, assisted by Rev. W.C. SAWYER; J. Bertram WEBSTER, of Stockton, California, to Miss Lottie M. OLIVER, of Maplewood, Massachusetts.

DEATH -- in San Joaquin county, April 12th, Isabella, youngest daughter of Frederick and Sarah BROWNELL, aged 7 months, 26 days. [see 14th Apr issue]

A ROBBER SKEDADDLES -- As J.B. MEADER and John KEELER were on their way from Copperopolis to this city in a buggy yesterday they were hailed by a "road agent" who, with a raised pistol, commanded them to stop. Instead of halting as commanded, Mr. MEADER, who was sitting in the back seat of the vehicle with a double-barreled shot-gun lying across his knees, at once raised the weapon and told the rascal to "git," and he went on the double-quick, apparently glad to draw out of the contest. The point of the road where the 2 gentlemen were so unceremoniously accosted was near the summit of the hill between Copperopolis and Telegraph City.

-In the matter of the estate of W.B. WRIGHT, deceased, an order was made confirming the sale of real estate
-Estate of Ed. MONTANYA, deceased -- ordered that letters testamentary, granted to J.L. MOWBRAY, be revoked, and that the Public Administrator, Charles BELDING, be appointed Administrator, de bonis non.

HELD to ANSWER -- James HOLMAN was examined before Justice Baldwin yesterday on a charge of grand larceny, in stealing a watch and clothes of the Captain of the sloop Dorinda, while the vessel was lying at the wharf on the 8th instant. He was held to answer, his bail being fixed at $700.

PRIVATE SCHOOL -- Miss Maria DEBNAM will open a private school today for children, on San Joaquin street, 2 doors south of Lindsay street.

SPRING FESTIVAL For the Benefit of the German School Association in Stockton to be held on Sunday, April 29, 1866, at the William Tell Gardens. Admission, $1.00. The Society would respectfully inform their friends and the public generally that they intend to make their Festival one of the best, and will spare no pains to make it a 1st-rate Entertainment for all present.

Mr. CONDY's Band will be in attendance; Sociable Plays; Singing by the Glee Club; and Gymnastic Exercises by the Turners and the Scholars, will be offered during the day. The Gardens will be opened at 10 o'clock a.m. Tickets can be had of the members of the Committee.



Dispatches to the 'Daily Independent'
12 Bodies Taken From the Ruins!
The Cause of the Explosion - Horrible Details of the Calamity!

FIRST DISPATCH, San Francisco. April 16, 3p.m. -- At about quarter past 1 o'clock this afternoon, a terrible explosion occurred in the assay office of G.W. BELL, on California street, adjoining Wells, Fargo & Co. Sam'l KNIGHT, Superintendent of Wells, Fargo & Co.'s Express and G.W. BELL were instantly killed. Several others, whose names are as yet unknown [see below], were also killed. Many of the employes of Wells, Fargo & Co. were more or less injured, but it is thought none of them were killed except Mr. KNIGHT. The nature of the explosion is not yet known, but is supposed to have been a barrel of nitro-glycerine oil, one of the most powerful explosive chemicals known to modern science. The concussion was felt with terrible force throughout the entire city. The assay office and a portion of the Express building were demolished. Window sashes and glass were shattered in buildings in adjoining blocks. The most intense excitement exists throughout the city and a posse of policemen have been stationed about the Express office to keep the crowd back. It is supposed that some are still buried beneath the ruins of the assay office. The bodies of 2 have already been recovered.

2ND DISPATCH -- T.E. WEBSTER, head of the New York Express Department, is missing. The dead bodies of 4 persons, in addition to those named, have been found.

3RD DISTPATCH -- Wm. S. HAVEN, of the Pacific Mail Steamship Company, is among the missing. Messrs. ZANDER and STACY, of the Express office are badly injured, the latter very seriously. From 6 to 12 other persons are supposed to have been killed.

4TH DISPATCH -- Full Details of the Calamity -- San Francisco, April 16, 8:45p.m. -- California street, in the rear of Wells, Fargo & Co.'s Express building was, this afternoon, the scene of one of the most terrible calamities that ever occurred in San Francisco. At 1:14p.m. an explosion took place, either in storeroom of Wells, Fargo & Co.'s Building, or in G.W. BELL's assay officer adjoining on California street, which demolished everything within a circuit of 40 or 50 feet, including the whole interior of BELL's assay building, the storeroom and west portion of Wells, Fargo & Co.'s building, the back portion of the Union Club room and other apartments in the vicinity. The explosion was so powerful as to shake the earth like an earthquake for a circuit of a quarter of a mile. Every window in California street, between Montgomery and Kearny, was demolished, and panes of glass were shattered in as far as Third street, a distance of half a mile. For some time after the explosion, it was impossible to tell the cause of the calamity. Some assert that it was a barrel of acid in BELL's assay office; others that it was a steam boiler in the rear of the office, and others that it was some kind of explosive material store in the yard of Wells, Fargo & Co. It is, however, pretty definitely ascertained to have been caused by the combustion of a case of nitro-glycerine which had been brought to Wells, Fargo & Co.'s this morning from Bandman, Neilson & Co.'s, to be taken by them into the interior. This is the new blasting agent so much talked of lately, and is said to be so powerful that 1 pound of the oil will raise 5000 tons of rock. The immediate cause of the explosion is not known, and as every person near the case at the time it occurred were killed, it will probably never be ascertained. The following are the name of killed and injured so far as can be ascertained up to this time. The entire area in the rear of Wells, Fargo & Co.'s is filled with the ruins caused by the explosion and there are said to be a large number of bodies buried beneath the debris, which have not yet been recovered. [updated list in next issue]

-Samuel KNIGHT, Superintendent of Wells, Fargo & Co.'s Express, was in the back office and received injuries from which he died within half an hour
-G.W. BELL, assayer on California street, was in Wells, Fargo & Co.'s at the time of the explosion and was killed
-Mr. WALUB, assayer at Wells, Fargo & Co.'s
-Joseph ELLIOT and John GALLAGHER, hostlers in the employ of Wells, Fargo & Co., were killed (GALLAGHER's head was torn from his body)
-C.C. COX, the steward of the Union Club, was fatally injured and is probably dead ere this
-a porter in the employ of Wells, Fargo & Co., known as William JUSTIN, is supposed to be killed
-8 bodies have been taken from the ruins. Most of them were so badly mutilated that they have not yet been identified. A number of people, among them Frank WEBSTER and HAVENS, bookkeeper at the Pacific Mail Steamship Co.'s, are missing, they are all said to have gone into the yard just before the accident happened.

-Louis McLANE and Captain ELDRIDGE, of the Pacific Mail Steamship Co., and Judge HOFFMAN were bruised and cut
-Felix LARIAX, cook of the Union Club, is at Keith's drug store, probably fatally injured in the head
-Jefferson TAYLOR and a clerk named STACY, of Wells, Fargo & Co.'s are injured, but not fatally
-Capt. J.E. AYERS was badly cut
-H. BLUM, clothing dealer, adjoining the Express's office, was injured
-Fred LIEZ, Frank MORRIS and a man named ELLIIOT were seriously injured -- the latter is said to have sustained injures which will prove fatal

Since the above was written, Julius BANDMAN, of the firm of Bandman, Neilsen & Co., says that they are the sole agents of the nitro-glycerine, and there is none of the article in San Francisco at the present time, and never has been any nearer than the wharf where it was landed, and then was taken direct to Treadwells & Co.' powder house. Mr. BANDMAN further says that no material of any kind, explosive or otherwise, has been sent to Wells, Fargo & Co.'s from his store today, or at any other time. This statement leaves the cause of the terrible calamity as much in the dark as ever. As far as can be ascertained at present, it was probably caused by the explosion of combustible material used in the assay office of Mr. BELL. It was altogether too powerful to have been produced by the explosion of any steam boiler used in that vicinity. In the cellar door of Cobb & Stinton's building were the lungs and entrails of a man, which had apparently been blown over Wells, Fargo & Co.'s building. The trunk and lower extremities of a man were found in the back yard of the Express office, and the head of a man, probably a portion of the same person, were found in the vicinity. The Union Club, occupying rooms over Wells, Fargo & Co.'s office, were just sitting down to the dinner tables. Crockery and other wares were shattered; but, so far as we could learn, no one in the room was seriously injured. The plate glass on the other side of Montgomery street to Sacramento is all shattered and on California street up to Kearny street. Down California street, for a block below, windows are completely blown out; in some places the sash are just hanging; not a whole pane of glass can be seen in the building occupied by Wells, Fargo & Co., nor in the Stevenson building, on the opposite corner. The damage to glass alone, for blocks around, cannot be less than $30,000. A large number of people were slightly injured by the falling glass in the streets.

The cause of the explosion or the nature of the material that exploded, still remains a mystery. Captain COX, the general freight agent of the Pacific Mail Steamship Co., says 2 boxes, each measuring about 4 cubic feet, were this morning brought from the steamship dock to Wells, Fargo & Co.'s office and placed in their store-room, near where the explosion is supposed to have occurred. One of the boxes was consigned to Idaho City and the other to Los Angeles. They were both more or less stained with oil, but the nature of their contents is unknown. The workmen in Mr. BELL's assay office are very positive that the explosion did not take place in their building, but came from the outside. There is little doubt but that it occurred in the storeroom or yard of Wells, Fargo & Co. Mr. BELL was in the act of taking a horse from the stable in the rear of his building, to go down to the Petaluma boat, when the explosion occurred. He was instantly killed. The keys and knife of Frank WEBSTER were found under circumstances which leave no doubt but that his was one of the unknown bodies which have been taken from the ruins. The remains of man, of which nothing was entire save the scalp, have been extricated. The remains were so mutilated that they were gathered up and taken away in a basket. A piece of a blue cloth vest, with a gutta percha watch chain attached to the outer edge of its links, which were bound with gold, were also found in close proximity to portions of a human body. The leg and arm of a human being were also found in the ruins of the back wall of the Union Club dining room. Wm. MORAN, a waiter in the Union Club, has sustained serious internal injuries, and is also badly injured about the head. The back part of the skull and jaw bone of a man were found on Leidesdorff street, opposite Squarza's saloon. Captain COX, of the Pacific Mail Steamship Company, is engaged with 25 men, and Captain LEES, of the police, with 15 men, removing the ruins in search of bodies.

The wood-work of Wells, Fargo & Co.'s establishment was almost wholly blown to fragments, and even doors thrown out into the street. Fragments of human remains were found scattered in many places. In the auction room of Messrs. COBB & STINTON, on the east of Montgomery street, lay a human being almost intact; no other fragments of the body near it. A piece of human vertebra was blown over the buildings on the east side of Montgomery street, and was picked up in front of SQUARZA's, on Leidesdorff street. A piece of a skull was lying on California street, east of Leidesdorff, with other fragments of human remains, and a human arm struck the 3rd story window of the building across the street.

Wells, Fargo & Co., who are freight agents for the Pacific Mail Steamship Company, received by the steamer Sacramento, on her late trip up from Panama, a quantity of nitro-glycerine which reached the Isthmus from Europe, consigned to Bandman, Neilson & Co. of this city; also 2 cases of the same article, but in larger sized boxes than Bandman, Neilson & Co.'s consignment. These boxes were marked plainly nitro-glycerine; and the latter 2, 1 of which was addressed to Idaho, and the other to Los Angeles, were refused by the party to whom they were consigned, as they arrived in a damaged condition. Captain COX, Superintendent of the P.M.S.S. Co.'s wharf, yesterday morning, about 10 o'clock, finding that they were leaking, sent them down to Wells, Fargo & Co.'s office, and they were placed in the court yard in the rear of the office where steamer freight unclaimed is usually kept. Mr. WEBSTER, the freight clerk of Wells, Fargo & Co. sent for Mr. HAVEN, the freight clerk of the Steamship Company, to examine the same. Both gentlemen lunched at the Union Club, and afterwards descended to the court yard by the exterior stairway; the boxes were in the yard leaking, and it is natural to suppose that in examining the box, which was not a very large one, they either kicked it or turned it over, and on its striking the ground, the concussion exploded the same. Both Mr. WEBSTER and Mr. HAVEN were absolutely rent to pieces, showing that they must have been immediately over or near the explosive material. No other persons among the dead were so mutilated, some having their bodies filled with splinters, others had their clothing burned or blown off, others receiving fractures, and Mr. KNIGHT, from the appearance of his remains, was evidently killed by the concussion. The boxes containing the nitro-glycerine which exploded were each 2 ½ feet high, and their superficial measurement was 14 feet 11 inches. Only 1 exploded, the other being found leaking but unexploded, hours after the catastrophe.

Lying in the rear were 3 dead bodies -- 2 of them, not recognized, were lifeless; the 3rd, which laid underneath the others, proved to be that of Garrett H. BELL, assayer, and member of the Board of Supervisors for the 8th district. Mr. BELL's features were found to be sadly mutilated and his clothing almost torn off, but he still breathed although insensible. He was removed to the express office of Wells, Fargo & Co. where he soon expired. Meanwhile the search went on, hundreds taking part from time to time in the mournful work. Captain COX, of the Pacific Mail Company's [illeg], who was in the building at the time of the explosion, sent at once for a gang of stevedores from the Mail Company's wharf, and the work of exhumation was thenceforward carried on systematically.

The debris of the explosion has all been removed. 12 bodies have been recovered. It is not expected that the body of Wm. JUSTIN, the porter in the express department, will be found; it is thought he was blown to atoms.

>>WEDNESDAY, 18 APR 1866<<

MARRIED -- in this city, by Rev. C.R. HENDRICKSON; J.R. MEACHEM to Miss S.A. WHITE.

RETURNED WITH HIS BRIDE -- J. Bertram WEBSTER, of the firm of Webster Bros., of this city, returned yesterday morning, after an absence of 5 months on a visit to his native State, Massachusetts, bringing back with him an amiable wife, whom the many friends of the happy husband heartily welcome to her new home.

REFRESHMENTS for the DANCERS -- Laurent BARADA, proprietor of the Lafayette Restaurant, Centre street, will keep an open house tonight for the purpose of supplying the wants of parties, who attend the 1st annual ball of the City Guard, with refreshments.


Special to the 'Independent' --
More of the Terrible Disaster --
List of the Killed, Wounded and Missing --
San Francisco, April 17 --

The great explosion that occurred in the heart of the city yesterday afternoon and resulted in such terrible destruction of life and property, continues to be almost the sole topic of conversation among our citizens, and has cast a gloom over the public mind, such as has been produced by few events since the foundation of the city. Workmen have been employed in removing the ruins in the vicinity of the explosion and searching for the bodies of the missing. The work is now nearly completed and all but 1 or 2 of those who are supposed to have been victims of the accident have been satisfactorily accounted for, and their names will be found below. The great question is, as to what caused the explosion and what it was that exploded, still remains without a definite answer. Enough, however, has been ascertained to fix its connection, beyond a doubt, with 1 of the 2 boxes that were yesterday taken from the Pacific Mail Steamship dock to Wells, Fargo & Co.'s Express office, as mentioned in last evening's 'Bulletin.' The facts relative to these boxes are as follows:

In unloading the freight from the steamer Sacramento, that arrived here on Friday last, 2 boxes were found in a somewhat damaged condition. They were consigned to Wells, Fargo & Co., and one of them was addressed to J.N. MOORE, Idaho City; and the other to W.H. MILLS, Los Angeles. They were shipped from New York under the general term merchandise. Being in a damaged condition, Wells, Fargo & Co. refused to accept them from the Pacific Mail Steamship Company, until the extent of the damage was ascertained, so that it might be known to whom the responsibility, if any, should accrue. For this purpose the boxes were yesterday sent up to Wells, Fargo & Co.'s building and placed in their back yard to be examined.

Mr. HAVENS, the freight agent of the Steamship Company, was sent for, had a survey of the damaged merchandise, and he, together with Frank WEBSTER, one of the employees of Wells, Fargo & Co., and 1 or 2 parties, proceeded to the back yard to make an examination of the boxes. The last that was seen of the parties was by a man in the employ of Mr. BELL, who says that there were 4 men standing around the box, having in their hands tools, such as a hatchet, hammer, chisel, etc. The cover of one of the boxes, he thinks, had been forced off, before he left the yard. Soon after leaving he heard the explosion and the reasonable inference is that it came from the box that was undergoing examination. This inference is strengthened by the fact that Mr. WEBSTER and Mr. HAVENS were almost literally blown to atoms, and by the additional fact that all appearances indicate that the explosion took place at the precise spot where the boxes were standing.

The next question that arises is, what were the contents of the boxes? Until this morning it was supposed that the boxes were the same; but it has new been ascertained that they were entirely different, and the boxes, probably, had no connection with each other, further than the fact that they both happened to be more or less damaged on the passage, and were thus made subject to survey before being accepted by the consignees.

Among the ruins was found a number of silver spoons and other silverware which were found yesterday, and were supposed to have come from the dining-room of the Union Club. On examining them, today, they are found to be all marked with the initials of J.M.M., and were doubtless a portion of the contents of the box addressed to J.M. MOORE, Idaho City. Mr. MOORE is now in New York and shipped the box himself. He is said to be a wealthy miner, residing in Idaho City. This disposal of MOORE's box renders it almost certain that it was not the box that exploded.

Now, as to the box address W.H. MILLS, Los Angeles. This was undoubtedly the box that WEBSTER and HAVENS were examining and must have been the one that exploded.

The following list of killed and wounded by the explosion, is undoubtedly correct, of nearly so, as it was derived from the most authentic sources of information.

Samuel KNIGHT, Superintendent of Wells, Fargo & Co.'s Express
G.W. BELL, Assayer and member of the Board of Supervisors
F.E. WEBSTER, Clerk in the New York Department of the Express
William H. HAVENS, freight book-keeper of the Pacific Mail Steamship Co.
Wm. D. JESTER, porter with Wells, Fargo & Co.
Felix DURIVAULT, 1st cook at the Union Club
John GALLAGHER, hostler in Wells, Fargo & Co.'s stables
Dennis O'DENNELL, waiter at the Union Club
YUNG SHI, a Chinaman, 42 years of age, was taken from the ruins terribly mangled and died this morning at the SEE YUP Asylum on Pine street

-Joseph ELLIOTT, hostler in Wells, Fargo & Co.'s stables, was removed from the ruins terribly mangled; but was carried to his residence this morning; strong hopes are entertained of his recovery; his flesh is perforated with pieces of bone and splinters of wood, which cause him the most intense suffering.
-W.H. COX, steward of the Union Club, sustained a fracture of the skull, and cannot live; he was struck on the forehead between the eyes, apparently with a piece of flying timber, breaking the skull in a shocking manner; he is dying at the County Hospital.
-Frank MORRIS, 2nd cook, is at the County Hospital; his injuries are of a very severe, if not fatal, character.
-John MAGUIRE, waiter at the Union Club, is also at the County Hospital; but his injuries are less serious that at first reported, and are not of a fatal character; he sustained a severe contusion of the arm, and a slight cut on his head.
-D.B. STACY, clerk in the Express office, was severely cut in the back of his head; but his wound is not dangerous.
-A Frenchman named LeGLAIZ, employed in the kitchen of the Union Club, was badly injured about the head and breast, but will probably recover; he is at Zieles' Hospital, on Pacific street.
-William MORAN, a waiter at the Union Club, is severely wounded.
-Fred. REIST, 3rd cook at the Union Club, is wounded, but not seriously.
-O.C. COCKS, store-keeper at Union Club, received some severe cuts, but not of a dangerous character.
-William SMITHERIST, waiter at the Union Club, suffered a sever contusion of the leg, but no bones were broken.
-Edward KENT, a waiter at the Union Club, reported missing, is injured, but not badly.
-James BURKE, a waiter, who was reported missing, has turned up all right.
-Edward WALTUB, assayer at G.W. BELL's office, who was at first reported dead, was but slightly injured, and is attending to his business today.
-W.J. TAYLOR, clerk with Wells, Fargo & Co., was badly cut about the face.

A great many people were slightly injured from falling glass and splinters of wood in the vicinity of the Express office; but the above are all that we have heard of whose injuries required surgical treatment.

There are now but 2 men missing so far as we can ascertain; all others having been accounted for. They are J.H. WRIGHT, a waiter in the Union Club, and a Chinaman, employed in the cooking department, were supposed to have been in the kitchen at the time of the explosion. The kitchen, or cooking room, was in the NW corner of the yard. The explosion knocked down the wall of the brick building adjoining on the north, which fell over on the kitchen, and workmen are now engaged in removing the debris in hopes of finding the bodies.


Colfax, April 17 -- A terrible explosion occurred at Camp Nine, near Gold Run, on the line of the Pacific Railroad. 6 men were killed -- 3 whites & 3 Chinamen. The Foreman, Phil HAGEN, was blown to pieces, and part of his body not found. One man was thrown 50 feet in the air and 100 feet from the blast. The blast had been set off and while loading for a seam blast the explosion took place. No further particulars.

>>THURSDAY, 19 APR 1866<<

FOUND -- In this city, April 16th, the original Certificate of Discharge of Robert TRUMBALL, a Private in Company A, 2nd Cavalry, California Volunteers, which the owner is requested to call at this office and get.

SAN FRANCISCO DISPATCH, Apr 18 -- The ruins of the walls which were shattered by the late explosion of nitro-glycerine, have nearly all been cleared away, but no more human remains have been found, except an arm, which was unearthed from the rubbish this morning. J.H. WEIGHANT, who was yesterday reported as missing, is alive. He is terribly cut and bruised, but will probably be out in a few days. There is now only 1 person -- a Chinaman -- missing. From the fact that no remains were found in the cook-room, where he was supposed to have been at the time of the explosion, it is thought that he escaped unharmed; he has not since made his appearance. The Board of Supervisors, on Monday night, adopted a resolution empowering and directing the Chief of Police to search out all the nitro-glycerine oil anywhere in the city and county of San Francisco, and to destroy the same. Chief BURKE, yesterday notified BANDMANN, NEILSON & Co., of his intention to obey the instructions of the resolution to the very letter, and they accordingly applied to the 15th District Court for an injunction to restrain him in carrying out such intention. In their complaint they allege that they are, and for some time past have been, the sole agents for this State of a newly invented material used for blasting purposes. The matter was brought before Judge COWLES, who issued a restraining order, directing Chief BURKE, his agents, employees, servants and subordinates, from destroying or interfering with, or molesting the property described in the complaint, as the 9,000 pounds of nitro-glycerine stored as their property, or destroying any part thereof or committing any injury thereto. The matter will be brought before the Board of Supervisors again next Monday evening, when some measures will be taken in regard to the storage and transportation of the dangerous material, to guard against accidents in the future.

>>FRIDAY, 20 APR 1866<<

CHURCH OFFICERS -- The newly elected Trustees of the First Presbyterian Church met at the office of R.B. LANE yesterday afternoon and organized by the election of:
Colonel William LANIUS, President
R.B. LANE, Treasurer
V.M. PEYTON, Secretary
R.B. LANE and V.M. PEYTON, Committee for renting pews

>>SATURDAY, 21 APR 1866<<

SEVERELY INJURED -- Last evening a little boy, 6 years old, son of Lewis LANMEISTER, of this city, while playing near a large team, was run over by the hind wheel and received painful injuries on both legs. One leg was badly fractured. Dr. SCHMIDT was at once called to the aid of the little sufferer.

TURNING THE SCREWS -- It is stated that Postmaster McCORMICK, of Marysville, has been removed, and E.M. MEEK, a former clerk of the office and lately elected on the anti-JOHNSON ticket for Assessor, appointed in his place.

DEATH of a SOLDIER -- The Salt Lake 'Vedette,' of April 16th, says: George W. CHAMBERLIN, formerly a member of Company L, 2nd California Volunteers, died suddenly in this city yesterday at the drug store of Drs. CLINTON & ORMSBY. His remains were conveyed to Camp Douglas for interment.

SAN FRANCISCO DISPATCH, April 20 -- The Coroner's jury found a verdict that Samuel KNIGHT and other victims of the explosion, came to their death on Monday last by the explosion of nitro-glycerin, shipped in a wooden box from New York to W.H. MILLS, Los Angeles, by express; that the said box arrived in a leaky condition, and had no marks to indicate the dangerous character of its contents. Further, that this nitro-glycerine is a highly dangerous and very explosive compound, as appears from the testimony of experts; it exploding not only from concussion and percussion, but from spontaneous combustion; that it is an article which should not be shipped by sea voyage, especially on such a voyage as that from New York, and that the party shipping this particular box unmarked, was guilty of a crime equivalent to manslaughter. They urge the indictment and punishment of the shipper if he can be found. They exonerate the Pacific Mail Company and Wells, Fargo & Co., from blame in this particular instance, but condemn the practice of express companies and other carriers, in endangering human life by receiving without question, packages, the contents of which they have no knowledge. The same verdicts are returned in each case.

MASON, the DESPARADO, KILLED -- Visalia, April 20 -- MASON, of the distinguished firm of MASON & HENRY, was killed a few days since in Tejon cannon, by some citizens. There appears to be but little doubt that this is the veritable MASON. It seems there were several of his clan together and they all got off except the chief.


  • 0/5
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5

0/5 based on 0 votes. The median rating is 0.
Show Individual Votes

Submitted: 04/28/08

Tags: (Please limit tags to surnames found within the article above)

Views: 649 views. Averaging 0 views per day.
In the most recent 30 day period, there've been 3 views.

Previous Article | Next Article

Items (articles, comments, etc.) placed on the Newspaper Abstracts website and associated mail lists remain the property of the contributor. By submitting any item to this site, the contributor has granted permission to the Newspaper Abstracts website and associated mail lists to permanently display and archive the item(s) online for free access to the site visitor.