Discover Your Ancestors in Newspapers 1690-Today!
Last Name
Stockton Daily Independent
Stockton Daily Independent
Contributed by deesar

Description: August 17-22, 1868

Date: August 1868

Newspaper published in: Stockton, San Joaquin Co.

>>MONDAY, 17 AUG 1868<<

MARRIED - in San Francisco, Aug. 3d, by Rev. Mr. LATHROP; Mr. BELL to Miss Jennie JAMES.

DEATH - in this city, Aug. 15th, Mrs. Josephine, wife of Joshua SEAMANDS, aged 31 years, 6 months, 10 days. [>Iowa and Illinois papers please copy.]

DEATH - in San Francisco, Aug. 7th, Mrs. MELLICK, aged 68 years, mother of Mrs. John PETTY, of this city.

AN ATROCIOUS MURDER and ATTEMPTED SUICIDE - One of the most revolting murders ever recorded in the annals of crime in California was committed in the eastern part of this city shortly after noon on Saturday last. A man named Henry KLUND, who had paid a visit to the commercial part of the city early in the day, returned to his dwelling in an intoxicated condition, got into a quarrel with his wife, and cut her throat with a common butcher knife, the blade of which exceeds 6 inches in length. As soon as he accomplished the fiendish work of butchering his wife, he chased and endeavored to capture Mrs. HAYDEN, a lady who resided in his dwelling and who witnessed his perpetration of the terrible crime. Failing to capture Mrs. H. and finding that his wife was dead, he stabbed himself 4 or 5 times in the abdomen, evidently with a view of taking his own life. The wounds inflicted upon himself, although very severe and penetrating into the cavity of the belly, have not, thus far, proved fatal, as he was alive last evening, and it is the opinion of the medical attendant that there is a bare possibility of his recovery. The murder created much excitement in the neighborhood. The Coroner, Mr. BOND, was notified of the affair, visited the premises, took charge of the body of Mrs. KLUND, empanneled a jury and held an inquest. The jury consisted of the following named gentlemen:
The following testimony was elicited:

MRS. BARBARA HAYDEN, sworn: I live in the same house with the deceased; her name is Mary KLUND, wife of Henry KLUND; Henry KLUND and deceased have been married about 2 months; he had a vinegar factory on the premises. About 11 o'clock today Henry KLUND came home from down town and ate his dinner, after which he went to sleep in his chair; deceased prepared the dinner for him and ate at the same time; when he awoke I told him he had better go to bed; he was drunk and could not walk straight; he took no notice of me. I afterwards went out of the house to the yard fence close to the door of the room where KLUND and his wife were; while at the fence I heard KLUND call his wife the meanest woman in town; she then came out to the fence where Mrs. BEIGHLE and I were talking; she said KLUND had been choking her and showed a scratch on her neck where he had scratched her; KLUND then called her to come in; she refused; said she was afraid of him; I told him he had better go to bed; he asked if I wanted anything, and if I wanted him to tell what she had said about us; I told him I did not want to hear anything; he then said if I wanted anything he would give it to me; KLUND then came out of the door of the house towards me, took me by the 2 hands and pushed me against the house; I told him not to do that any more; then he pushed me again; I then ran into the yard, took a broom and told him I would knock him down; then KLUND ran into the house and immediately came out with a large sheath-knife and ran after his wife, the deceased; Mrs. KLUND ran towards the out-house which is about 50 feet from the dwelling; KLUND caught his wife just at the corner of the out-house; she leaned against it, facing KLUND; he then grabbed her and I saw him raise the knife and cut her on the neck, as if running the knife in and out; I screamed to him to leave her alone; KLUND then turn and ran after me; I ran out of the south gate to the neighbors; he chased me about 50 feet; I was frightened and staid with the neighbors till I saw a crowd around the house. After I came back I looked for Mrs. KLUND and found her lying by the side of the fence, dead lying on her left side, all bloody and about 15 feet from where she was when he cut her. I did not see KLUND till they brought him in on a ladder; I have never seen KLUND so drunk as he was today; he and his wife never lived happily together; I have lived in the same house with them for 2 months; KLUND and deceased lived together about 2 years; last fall KLUND went to San Francisco; during his absence they wrote to each other and about 2 months ago he came back and they were married; her name before marriage was Mary LINN.

MRS. ELIZABETH BIEGHLE, sworn: I reside on the NE corner of the block; my house is about 100 feet from where Mr. KLUND lives, on the same block; I am not very well acquainted with Mr. KLUND and his wife; between 1 and 2 o'clock this (Saturday) afternoon, I came toward Mr. KLUND's house to speak to Mrs. HAYDEN, who lives in the same house with KLUND; as I came up to the fence close to the house, I saw Mrs. KLUND sitting in a chair in a room occupied by them; Mr. KLUND was standing over, talking in German to her; he seemed very angry, and I turned to one side; the next I heard was Mrs. KLUND saying in English, "Mrs. HAYDEN, come in here quick;" Mrs. HAYDEN then went to the room where they were; Mrs. KLUND then came out and stood by me, leaning against the fence; she looked pale and was excited; she said he was a dreadful man and had been trying to choke her; I saw a scratch on her neck like a scratch from finger nails; I then looked in at the window and saw him take a butcher-knife from a shelf and lay it on the table; he was speaking in German and appeared angry; Mrs. KLUND asked Mrs. HAYDEN what he said; she, Mrs. HAYDEN, said KLUND wanted Mrs. KLUND to come into the house; I told her not to go, as he looked angry enough to kill her; she said no, that she would not go into the house; he then came out on the portico, talking in German and looking very angry; he came toward his wife and Mrs. HAYDEN stepped between him and his wife; KLUND caught Mrs. HAYDEN and slung her against the house; he then ran into the house and got the knife; I told Mrs. KLUND to run; I did not see them again until she went against the out-house; KLUND struck Mrs. KLUND twice as though striking with a knife; I saw her leaning against the out-house and blood running down her bosom; I saw KLUND again lying at the windmill, about half way across the block he lived upon; I did not see deceased again until I saw her lying at the fence, about 15 feet from the out-house; I went to the Italian gate for assistance; I have known Mrs. KLUND and husband for about 5 weeks.

WM. D. BIEGLE, sworn: I know Mr.&Mrs. KLUND by sight; have known them about 5 weeks; I was standing at my father's house, in the kitchen, about half-past 1 o'clock this, Saturday, afternoon; I saw KLUND start after his wife toward the out-house; I heard her scream when about half way; I saw them again at the outhouse and KLUND was striking her with 1 hand and holding her by the shoulder with the other hand; I ran half way to the Italian Gardens; I saw 2 men and told them that KLUND had cut his wife's throat; they came over to KLUND's house; I then ran down toward Mr. BURNETT's and saw KLUND lying at the wind-mill, on the premises, about 150 feet from the house; I saw 2 other men and told them that KLUND had cut his wife's throat; one of the men came up; I came back and saw Mrs. KLUND lying at the fence.

CHARLES DECORLI, sworn: I reside at the Helvetia Gardens, just across East street, Stockton, a short distance from the residence of Mr. KLUND. Today, about 1 o'clock, or a little past, a boy came over to the garden and said KLUND had cut his wife's throat; I came over immediately; jumping the fence the first thing I saw was KLUND walking away from the house toward a windmill in the northern part of the lot; I saw blood dropping from him as he walked along; just as he got to the windmill he fell; he did not speak; I returned the same way I came, to get a horse and go for a doctor; when I passed the out-house I saw Mrs. KLUND lying by the fence, dead.

DRS. THORNDIKE and SPOSATI submitted the following in writing: "Stockton, August 14, 1868. We, the undersigned, physicians summoned to inquire into the cause of the death of Mrs. Mary KLUND, find that she came to her death from wounds inflicted on either side of the neck, severing the external and internal carotid arteries and the jugular vein."

THE JURY returned the following verdict: "We, the jury summoned to inquire into the cause of the death of Mrs. Mary KLUND, do find that her age is about 55 years, and that she came to her death on the 15th day of August, 1868, at the residence of her husband, on East street, city of Stockton, by wounds inflicted with a sheath knife, on and about her neck, and that Henry KLUND, husband of the deceased, inflicted said wounds."

The remains of Mrs. KLUND were interred at 2 o'clock yesterday afternoon by the Coroner.

NARROW ESCAPE FROM DROWNING - A little boy aged 9 years, son of Louis KOLMAN, of this city, while paying among the sacks of grain piled upon the levee, near El Dorado street bridge, fell into the slough and but for the heroic exertions of an Italian gentleman named John GAMBATTA, would have been drowned. A sailor witnessed the accident and gave the alarm, when efforts were made to rescue him, as he had disappeared from the surface of the water, 1 gentleman diving, but without success. They boy had been under water several minutes when John GAMBATTA came to the rescue, dived in and remained under so long that it was feared he, too, was lost, but he finally appeared with the appearntly lifeless boy in his arms. Two men got into a boat to assist GAMBATTA, but they were rather slow in their movements, and he, being nearly exhausted, made a tremendous effort and threw the boy into the boat. The lad was to every appearance lifeless and it was feared he could not be resuscitated, but finally by being placed on a barrel he was brought to all right. But for the heroism of John GAMBATTA the boy would certainly have been drowned, and for thus risking his life to save that of another he deserves to be honored by all, and should, as he no doubt will be, ever remembered with grateful feelings by the parents and relatives of the boy.

FIENDISH ASSAULT - On Saturday afternoon, Chief of Police Jerome Myers arrested a woman named Mrs. BLAISDELL, who resides at the corner of Hunter and Channel streets, charged with committing an assault upon her little nephew, aged 5 years, with a broom handle, beating him until his flesh was black and blue and cutting and bruising his face in a horrid manner. A lady named Mrs. BRIANT, residing near, heard the child's screams and rushed to his assistance and succeeded in getting him away from his unnatural protector. And afterwards, when trying to soothe the angry woman's feelings, the latter set upon her (Mrs. BRIANT) with a stock and beat her severely, cutting a deep gash in her head, another in her arm, and bruising her wrist badly before she could escape from the ferocious woman. She was placed in jail to await examination, which will take place before Judge Brush this morning.

FREEDOM'S DEFENDERS - This organization is now in a highly flourishing condition. The present officers are:
J.H. HOUSMAN, President
T.R. MOSELEY, H.M. FANNING, Wm. DENNIS, T.K. HOOK and L.E. YATES, Vice President
L.E. LYON, Secretary
G.S. HARKNESS, Treasurer
J.W. RICKS, District and County Organizer
The regular meetings are held every Monday evening, at Parker's Hall at 8 o'clock and a full attendance is especially requested this evening, as business of importance will be considered.

-James KENNEDY was run over by his wagon, heavily loaded with freight, near Millerton, Tulare county, 1 day last week. He died of the injuries sustained, leaving a widow and 4 children.
-N.D. HATFIELD committed suicide by taking strychnine near Las Uvas, Santa Clara county, on Sunday the 9th inst. He was a native of New York, aged 55 years and of intemperate habits.

>>TUESDAY, 18 AUG 1868<<

MARRIED - in Woodbridge, Aug. 12th, Harrison EGGLESTON to Miss A. McCLOUD.

MARRIED - near Lockeford, Aug. 8th, R.R. HARRIS to Mrs. M.A. BRAKEMAN.

ARRESTED - A warrant was issued yesterday from Judge Brown's Court for the arrest of Henry KLUND, on the charge of murdering his wife, the particulars of which we published yesterday morning. Under Sheriff LONG immediately proceeded to the house of KLUND with the warrant, arrested and conveyed him to the County Hospital, where he will be kept to await the result of his wounds. It is thought by the physicians that KLUND will recover, as his wounds were not so severe as at first thought his intestines not being cut. At present he is getting along very well and if inflammation does not set in, his chances for recovery are very good.

DISTRICT COURT - Eliza J. BRENTON vs. James P. BRENTON decree of divorce granted.

BY STATE TELEGRAPH, San Francisco, Aug. 17
-Yesterday afternoon, the bark 'Wm. A. Banks' was beating out of the harbor, when she came in collision with a barge heavily laden with grain and towed by the steamer 'Belle.' The shock was so great that a man named P. MYERS was knocked off the barge and drowned.
-Today the body of August ROCHART, jeweler, who has been missing since Aug. 4th, was found on the propeller of the 'Oriflamme' at Folsom street wharf.

WM. HENRY STEVENS, a native of Howard county Missouri, died of heart disease at Yankee Hill on Thursday, Aug. 6th.

>>WEDNESDAY, 19 AUG 1868<<

BIRTH - near Woodbridge, Aug. 6th, to the wife of John MATLOCK, of a son.

BIRTH - in Woodbridge, Aug. 14th, to the wife of A. FAIRBANK, of a son.

DEATH - in this city, Aug. 18th, William Albert, son of Edgar and Phebe VAN WART, aged 2 months, 7 days. [Funeral today at 2 o'clock p.m. from the residence of the parents, corner of Grant and Washington streets. Friends and acquaintances are invited to attend.]

DEATH - in Nassau Valley, Calaveras county, Aug. 14th, Ada Hannah, infant daughter of Mr.&Mrs. John L. GIBSON.

BUSINESS CHANGE - N. DOHRMANN has sold out his interest in the grocery business in this city to C. DOHRMANN and J.M. MORRIS, who will continue the same business at the same place on El Dorado street, next door north of Massachusetts Bakery. Mr. DOHRMANN, we understand, intends to engage in business in San Francisco. There are many people in the city, who, while they regret his leaving, wish good fortune may follow him wherever he may go.

ADMITTED TO CITIZENSHIP - In the District Court yesterday, Louis DONNER, a native of Prussia, was admitted to citizenship on testimony of George NATT and C.G. ERNEST.

TUOLUMNE COUNTY ITEMS - From last Saturday's 'Union Democrat' we digest the following:
-On Monday morning, the 10th inst., the body of Christopher COOK was found dead in the road near Gold Springs. An inquest was held, resulting in a verdict that deceased was a native of the county of Carlow, Ireland, aged about 40 years, and that he died of hemorrhage of the lungs.
-Mrs. Carolina WORDE, a native of Prussia, aged about 40 years, died at Columbia on Friday, the 7th inst., of heart disease.

-William, or "Put" BLOOMER, for a long time connected with the police force of San Francisco and recently attached to Chiarini's circus, was found dead in an old building near the bridge in Sacramento, on last Saturday night. An inquest was held and resulted in a verdict that deceased came to his death from congestion of the brain. He was about 50 years of age.
-At Ravenswood, San Mateo county, a man named Charles HARPER had his leg broken below the knee by a reaper.
-On Thursday last, the infant daughter of Rufus SHOEMAKER, of the Grass Valley 'Union,' was severely scalded on the arm by the overturning of a vessel from the cooking stove.
-Philip MAGUIRE was killed by the explosion of a blast in a mine near Chloride City, Nevada, on the 12th instant. His head and face were shockingly mutilated, his eyes torn from their sockets and his chest frightfully mangled. After suffering terribly for 3 or 4 hours, death came to his relief.

>>THURSDAY, 20 AUG 1868<<

DEATH - at Hornitos, Aug. 15th, Mrs. Abigail BURCKHALTER, of a pulmonary affection, after an illness of 2 months, a native of Ohio, and aged 52 years.

DISTRICT COURT Sheriff instructed to bring before the Court at 9 o'clock tomorrow morning, James MARSH, a defaulting juror, when he is to show cause why he should not be punished for contempt.

CHARGE of ASSAULT & BATTERY - A colored woman named Mary COOKE made a complaint before Justice Brown yesterday against a sister of color named Jane BURKE, charging the latter with having committed an assault and battery upon the person of complainant. The trial of the case was set for tomorrow morning at 10 o'clock.

ADMITTED to CITIZENSHIP - In the District Court yesterday, J. RODUNER, a native of Switzerland, was admitted to citizenship, on testimony of Wm. RAAB and Alfred TAYLOR.

>>FRIDAY, 21 AUG 1868<<

A FRIGHTFUL, PERHAPS FATAL ACCIDENT - About 2 o'clock on Wednesday afternoon last, John LADD, a farmer who resides about 9 miles from this city, near the Mariposa road, while standing on the caves of a new barn at a height of 22 feet from the ground, engaged in pulling up shingles, or shakes, for the purpose of roofing, by some means lost his balance and fell, striking the ground with the side of his face with sufficient force to break and crush in the cheek bones. He was also badly injured on the forehead and it is stated that the bones of 1 leg were fractured. When the men who were employed on the work reached him, he was insensible and paralyzed. Medical aid was summoned with all possible expedition. Drs. STOCKTON and HUDSON, of this city, together with a physician who resides in the neighborhood of where the frightful accident occurred, attended the sufferer. We were informed last night that it is feared Mr. LADD's injuries will result fatally.

PERSONAL - Rev. Elias BIRDSALL, late Rector of St. John's Church, in this city, arrived yesterday overland from Los Angeles where he has been on a visit with a view of recuperating his physical energies and we are glad to note that his health is greatly improved. He took his departure yesterday on the steamer for San Francisco to enter upon his ministerial duties in Trinity Church in that city.

INJURED by a THRESHING MACHINE - On Wednesday last, Lafayette BOURLAND, brother-in-law to George S. LADD, of this city, and who resides about 10 miles from Stockton on the Mariposa road, got his arm caught in a threshing machine, crushing it severely and severing the principal artery. Medical aid was promptly rendered.

NARROW ESCAPE FROM DROWNING - Yesterday a little girl, daughter of Mrs. WILLEY, who resides on Channel street, between San Joaquin and Sutter streets, narrowly escaped drowning. It appears she ventured on a frail wharf, built by some lads for amusement at the side of the slough near the Octagon House, owned by General CONNOR, when a plank gave way and she fell into the water. She was observed by a lady who resides on Miner avenue, on the north side of the slough. The lady sent assistance as soon as possible; but fortunately the screams of the little girl were heard by a young man, son of Judge BUDD, who instantly went to her relief and succeeded in rescuing her, but not before she had sunk twice. None except the lady above mentioned and Master BUDD heard the screams of the child and had it not been for the timely aid rendered by the young man named, she would have inevitably perished. Parents cannot be too careful in preventing children from wandering near the water alone.

ADMITTED to CITIZENSHIP - Kaspar DENNLER was admitted to citizenship yesterday by the District Court, on testimony of F. WENDEROTH and Christian ROTHENBUSH.

EXCUSED - James MARSH, a default juror, was taken into the District Court by the Sheriff yesterday, sworn on his voir dire, and excused.

CASE DISMISSED - The case of Patrick HIGGINS, against whom a charge was entered before Justice Brush by Catharine HIGGINS, who accused her father of having threatened to expedite her progress to Spirit Land by means more rapid than the natural process, was dismissed yesterday, the complainant, upon sober, second thought becoming reluctant to prosecute. Passion not unfrequently leads some people into an almost total disregard of the sanctity of an oath, and causes them to swear in anger what they are sorry for or ashamed of when they give the matter cool and deliberate thought. The practice of entering complaints of a criminal nature against parties and then refusing to prosecute, is reprehensible and should be summarily checked, if it is in the power of the tribunals to do so.

LODGED in JAIL - Henry KLUND, who killed his wife on Saturday last and who made a bungling attempt at hari kari, has so far recovered from his self-inflicted injuries, as to be able to undergo a removal from the County Hospital to the County Jail. The County Physician, Dr. THORNDIKE, informed the Sheriff yesterday that KLUND could, without damage, be removed, whereupon Officer Kerr placed the prisoner in more secure quarters.

J.P. LOVELAND, of Santa Clara, made an attempt to murder his wife and daughter on last Tuesday last, and failing, shot and fatally wounded himself.

>>SATURDAY, 22 AUG 1868<<

BIRTH - in this city, Aug. 21st, to the wife of Joseph S. PHILLIPS, of a daughter.

BIRTH - in Empire City, Aug. 2d, to the wife of W.M. FINNEY, of a daughter.

DEATH - in this city, Aug. 21st, Jane Elizabeth, infant daughter of Jerome and Lauar MYERS, aged 1 year, 1 month, 4 days. [The funeral will take place from St. John's Episcopal Church at 2 o'clock tomorrow (Sunday) afternoon. Friends and acquaintances are invited to attend.]

BARLEY DESTROYED BY FIRE - On Thursday afternoon, about 4 o'clock, a barley stack on the farm of J.W. STETSON, 3 miles from Empire City, on the south side of the Tuolumne river, caught fire and was destroyed. Mr. PHILLIPS, from whom we received the information, estimates the amount of barley in the stack at 400 bushels. A fork-wagon belonging to George EMERSON, was consumed by the flames. The steam engine used to drive the thresher was situated at the opposite end of the stack from where the fire started and the breeze at the time was in a direction to carry the smoke and sparks, if any escaped, away from the grain, so that it would seem impossible for any of the engine fire to have caused the loss. It is thought the fire resulted from the careless use of matches in smoking. It would seem that the number of accidents and destruction of property on the harvest field by fire should serve as a warning not to use matches near hay or grain. There is about as much need of organized effort to prevent smoking in the harvest fields as there is to stop the practice of drinking intoxicating beverages in the towns and cities.

HOME AGAIN - Andrew SIMPSON and wife returned to their home in this city yesterday, after an absence of several months, on a visit to their former home in the East. The pleasure of their trip was sadly marred by the loss of their little daughter, whose remains were brought back and interred in the Rural Cemetery yesterday.

ASSAULT and BATTERY CASE DISMISSED - The case of Mrs. Jane BURKE against whom Miss May COOKE (both colored) preferred a charge of assault and battery, was brought up in Justice Brown's Court yesterday and was, upon investigation, found to be of such a trifling nature that the Magistrate dismissed it altogether.

ARRESTED - John SKALLY was arrested yesterday by Constable Langmaid on a warrant issued by Justice Brown on complaint of George FOX, who charges SKALLY with assault and battery. The trial of the case will take place this morning.

PACIFIC COAST ITEMS - On Tuesday, the 11th instant, a severe accident happened to HAMPDEN, son of H.A. CAGWIN, of Cary's Mills, Alpine county. He was swinging on a limb of a tree, which gave way under his weight, precipitating him to the ground, a distance of 15 feet. He was insensible when picked up and carried to the house. One eye was so badly inured it was thought that he would loose the sight of it.

Submitted: 11/13/08

Tags: (Please limit tags to surnames found within the article above)

Views: 181 views. Averaging 0 views per day.
In the most recent 30 day period, there've been 1 view.

Items (articles, comments, etc.) placed on the Newspaper Abstracts website and associated mail lists remain the property of the contributor. By submitting any item to this site, the contributor has granted permission to the Newspaper Abstracts website and associated mail lists to permanently display and archive the item(s) online for free access to the site visitor.