Contributed by Loren H
Description: Hans TerkelsenDate: August 22 1929
Newspaper published in: Volga, S D
Source: my granary
In a home loving community such as Volga, it seems particularly fitting that the first building to be erected on the present town site was not for business purposes, nor was it for entertainment purposes. It was a home.
The house pictured above was the first erected on the townsite of Volga, it was built, in fact, before there was any townsite. It was the home of the Hans Terkelsen family and was built in 1878 on the Terkelsen homestead which included the land on which the main part of the city now stands. The house was located in the northeastern part of town, approximately where the Art Poole residence is now located.
The Terkelsens came here in the spring of 1878 from Kasson, Minnesota. they had come to Kasson in 1874 from Denmark. Mr Terkelsen was one of the four men who donated forty acres of his homestead towards a townsite and as it happened, most of the town iself was built on the land given by him.
The house pictured was a small one story board house with three rooms. During their second year here, the Terkelsens built a sod wall around it. The old well pictured to the left of the house was located between the house and the barn and was operated by means of pulling buckets up and down.
In 1882 Mr Terkelsen made a deal with Mr Ask, local business man, and moved out on the farm on which Mr Ask had filed, three miles northwest of town on the west shore of Lake Goldsmith. Mr Terkelsen took this as a tree claim and proved it in 1890. Through hard work and sacrifice, they prospered and built a farm home which was one of the beauty spots of the country. Mrs Terkelsen's natural ability for caring for flowers was much in evidence here, for she developed a beautiful garden with flower beds arranged in artistic and attractive designs and with washed white sands from the shores of Lake Goldsmith forming the paths. It was staunch pioneers like the Terkelsens who made this country what it is today.
Retiring from farming, they moved to Volga in 1917. In 1923 they celebrated their golden wedding anniversary. It was on that occasion that the pictures appearing with this story were taken. Their children and the members of the Lutheran congregation honored them at that time by giving a reception for them in the church parlors. All three of the Terkelsen children are living in this community, Jens and Nels of this city and Mrs Soren Bertelsen, who lives a short distance east of town.
Mr Terkelsen died in April 1923.
Mrs Terkelsen is living in Volga and in spite of her 81 years, is very active. Her flowers are still her hobby.