Contributed by Gigimo
Description: A Dangerous Pet. Mr. SAMUELS Bitten by His Pet Dog, Dies of Hydrophobia.Date: January 15 1887
Newspaper published in: St. Louis, MO
Chicago, January 15.
Mr. S. SAMUELS, a Polish Jew living at No. 64 Liberty street, was bitten in the finger by a pet dog belonging to him about three months ago. The wound was not considered a serious one at the time of its infliction as the dog's teeth produced so slight an abrasion of the skin as to merely draw the blood. Wednesday night Mr. SAMUELS complained of feeling ill, but no importance was attached to the matter as he had forgotten the circumstances of the injury. Thursday morning he refused to get up, and manifested symptoms of nervous trouble. Dr. Davis was summoned, and found the patient suffering from spasms. Dr. King was called in, and pronounced the case hydrophobia. Tests were made by the usual methods to ascertain the nature of the disease. The patient showed decided aversion to the sight and taste of water, and could not endure even a mention of it, snapping and snarling like a dog whenever he was approached. A council of physicians was called who agreed that the diagnosis was correct. Mr. SAMUELS was considered beyond reach of medical skill, as his case would not yield to established treatment. The agony which he endured was so intense that the attending physicians decided upon the administration of ether, under the influence of which the patient remained until last night when he died. He leaves a wife and several children.