Discover Your Ancestors in Newspapers 1690-Today!
Last Name
Sacramento Evening Bee
Sacramento Evening Bee
Contributed by Betty_Loose

Description: Weber family murders, Death Notices and other news

Date: November 14 1904

Newspaper published in: Sacramento

Monday, November 14, 1904

Ruins of Burned House Closely Guarded - Prisoner Maintains Cool Demeanor -
Angry Over Newspapers Reports - Victims' Funeral at Cypress Lawn

AUBURN (Placer Co.), November 14 - Is there a .32-calibre revolver in the ashes of the Weber house? That is the question that was under close investigation yesterday and to-day. Men were sluicing the ruins all day yesterday, but aside from a few coins and some melted metal nothing which would throw any further light on the tragedy was found.

The only material discovery made yesterday was the finding of four .32-calibre cartridges on top of the Post Office building. It is evident that the shells were but recently thrown there, as the roof of the building has been painted only a short time. They are bright in appearance and show no signs of having been exposed to the weather for any length of time. The shells are all rim fire. From the sidewalk these could easily have been tossed on top the building without any effort, the Post Office being a low one-story brick structure with a flat roof.

Considerable significance is placed in this discovery, as Adolph Weber stood at the Post Office corner early on the evening of the fire conversing with Werner RITTINGER. It is thought he threw the cartridges on the roof.

The Arrest of Weber
A large crowd filled the Court-room Saturday night to hear the proceedings of the inquest. The Court-room was crowded, and long lines of men stood up and listened intently to the evidence introduced, which did not bring out any facts in addition to those already known. All interest was centered in Adolph Weber, to whom the finger of suspicion has been pointing.

Weber's testimony was much the same as he had previously given. He was cool and unruffled, and only showed animation when his temper was riled by some of District Attorney ROBINSON's questions. His statement that he picked up the body of his little brother in the house and handed it to some one on the outside of the window is contradicted by several witnesses.

As soon as the inquest adjourned Sheriff Keena performed the expected arrest and placed Weber in one of the steel cages in the County Jail. The prisoner took his arrest cooly, and said he was glad of it, as it would bring matters to a head. The arrest was made very quietly. The complaint was sworn to by Sheriff Keema, charging Weber with the crime of murder.

The Coroner's Jury adjourned to meet again Wednesday when the inquisition will be continued. It is rumored that a writ of habeas corpus will be sought to-day by young Weber's attorney. Nothing, however, was done yesterday and the prisoner had no visitors.

The interest in the case has increased. All day yesterday and to-day streams of people visited the scene of the ruined home, while knots of citizens gathered in the street to discuss the deed.

A watchman has been placed on the Weber property to prevent anything being disturbed. The officers are proceeding with great caution.

Prisoner's Demeanor
Young Weber's demeanor since the killing of his family continues to be strongly criticized. On Friday, in company with Sheriff Keena, he visited the undertaking parlors and viewed the remains of his dead relatives.

"This is your mother," said the Sheriff, as he pointed to the corpse of Mrs. Weber. The youth looked at her a moment and then remarked that she looked "pretty good." He merely glanced at the other bodies, and made no comment.

During the funeral sermon Saturday Weber sat unmoved by what was passing around him. After the service he left the undertaking parlors with a woman who remarked upon his indifferent manner and asked:

"Dolph, doesn't you heart ache for your mother?"
"It's no use worrying; it can't be helped," replied Weber.

When asked why he didn't weep or show some sign of emotion, he replied that "it would not be manly" to do so.

Weber's arrest has caused relief among many who dreaded the thought of the eccentric youth being at large.

Angry at the Papers
Previous to his imprisonment he appeared frequently upon the streets, and seemed to be more in evidence than ever before. He has watched the press reports of the tragedy closely, and was highly incensed at The Bee's first report of the affair, which was the first to name young Weber as suspected of being the author of the crime. He visited Coroner Shepard with a copy of The Bee, and was very indignant, asking that officer if he knew the author of the article, and stating that he would proceed against the paper for libel.

The evidence of Mrs. E.C. Snowden has not been given yet. She will probably take the witness stand on Wednesday. Her testimony will probably throw some light on the relationship of young Weber with the rest of the members of his family.

Mrs. Snowden has been fearful of her nephew and thoroughly believes him guilty. It is said that Weber and his aunt have not spoken to each other for several months, though the cause of the unpleasantness has not been made known.

The Bank Robbery
The rumor that young Weber is the man who, on May 26th last, robbed the Bank of Placer County of $5000 and escaped down the Newcastle road, gains strength. He answers the description of the masked robber, and, in addition to this, comes the testimony of T.S. PALMER, who followed the robber as he fled from town. Upon reaching the spot where the buggy was abandoned, Palmer says, he noticed a man climbing the hill on the opposite side of the road to that which the robber was supposed to have taken. Upon overtaking this man, he found him to be Adolph Weber. About this time, also, Julius Weber missed one of this home-made money bags, and it tallied with that used by the man who held up the bank.

Early yesterday morning the bodies of the victims were placed on the cars for transportation to San Francisco. A large crowd gathered at the depot and all uncovered as the train pulled out.

Weber still persists in clinging to the theory advanced by him that the motive of the terrible crime was robbery, but on this no one now places any reliance. Julius Weber's safe was found undisturbed, and even the money in his pocket and on the piano had not been touched.

Funeral at Cypress Lawn
SAN FRANCISCO, November 14 - Adolph Weber did not attend the funeral of his father, mother, sister and brother, yesterday. He was given his option to be present by the Sheriff of Placer, but refused to go except on his own condition. He would not go handcuffed and under guard. So while the bodies of his dead relatives were being consigned to a reception vault at Cypress Lawn Cemetery and during the simple service that preceded, Adolph Weber, the son of the murdered family, was absent and lay in jail at Auburn. His absence, of course, was the subject of remark, but the Sheriff explained that he had been compelled to refuse to accept the young man's conditions. In the presence of a tragedy so awful he would not take any chances with a prisoner accused of murder.

The bodies arrived in three caskets. The mother and her little son occupied one coffin. Floral offerings in profusion covered the caskets and a great number of the friends of the deceased were in attendance to follow the final rites. The services were conducted in the cemetery chapel by the Superintendent, E.B. McPHERSON, and the caskets were afterwards consigned to the reception vault, preparatory to the interment, which will take place this forenoon. The people in attendance on the funeral were not permitted to see the faces of the dead.

Among the friends and relatives of the deceased who attended the funeral were the following:
Charles MAYER, brother of Mrs. Julius Weber; Mrs. Charles HESS and Mrs. W.P. SCOTT, sisters of deceased, residing at Sonora; Mrs. B.F. CLOSE, cousin, and daughter, Alameda; W. JACOBI, Twenty-ninth and Church Streets, cousin; R.C. LUCKOW, cousin, wife and children, 4310 Twenty-third Street.

Hold-up Took Place Few Miles East of Cool Early This Morning
AUBURN (Placer Co.), November 14 - A telephone message was received at the Sheriff's office here to-day that the Georgetown stage which runs between Georgetown El Dorado County, and Auburn, Placer County, was held up by a lone highwayman this morning a few miles east of Cool.
The robber was armed with a 30-30 calibre rifle. He took only the registered mail.
He is described as wearing blue jean overalls and a jumper, about six feet tall, his face covered with a black mask.
His appearance would indicate that he was a novice at the business, for he appeared very nervous.
Bert DAY was the driver on the box.
No one was harmed by the robber.

OROVILLE (Butte Co.), November 14 - Shadrick SOWELL, the murderer of J.P. KIMBALL, then a Supervisor of Butte, and of Edward DICKHOUSE, and who also wounded F.W. CURRY so severely that his leg had to be amputated, will have to serve the life imprisonment sentence as pronounced by Superior Judge GRAY a year ago. Saturday his attorney, W.E. DUNCAN, Jr., received a telegram from the Clerk of the Supreme Court stating that the judgement of the lower Court had been sustained.
Sowell's crime was a most brutal one, and is still fresh in the memory of most of the people of Superior California. He was only saved from the gallows by the hard work of his attorney, who produced evidence to prove that there was a streak of insanity in the family of Sowell. After he had been convicted his attorney gave notice of appeal and carried the case to the Supreme Court, but it sustained the decision of the lower Court and Sowell will now be taken to San Quentin to remain for the rest of his life.

MARYSVILLE (Yuba Co.), November 14 - Congressman Theo. A. BELL visited this section on Saturday and Sunday as the guest of the Tobacco Gun Club. With a number of his Marysville and Yuba City friends he visited the Club's preserves near Meridian and enjoyed an outing at duck shooting. The party report a very enjoyable time.

BENICIA (Solano Co.), November 14 - Knightsen is evidently troubled with a firebug. Thursday night some one tried to burn the new residence of John CANTRELL by pouring coal oil on the porch and then setting the place on fire. One corner and a part of the foundation was burned before the fire was discovered and put out. Sunday night the store of Cantrell Bros. was burned to the ground; also the adjoining butcher shop and all its contents. There has been no clew obtained.

STOCKTON (San Joaquin Co.), November 14 - The trial of Howard BUCKLAND, the 15-year-old slayer of his father, continues to attract crowds to the Superior Court-room. Mrs. Buckland, the boy's mother, testified to-day to acts of cruelty on the part of her husband, and stated that on the morning of the shooting he slapped her, knocked her down and kicked her, when she called to her son to protect her. She afterwards told her son that she hoped never to look upon the face of her husband again. Within an hour Howard shot and killed his father.

OROVILLE (Butte Co.), November 14 - Wm. HUNT, an aged sheepherder, was burned to death in his cabin at Dredgeville last night. He had several hundred dollars in bank. Several days ago he drew out $100 and went on a
protracted spree. It is supposed that his cabin caught on fire while he was
in a drunker stupor.

STOCKTON (San Joaquin Co.), November 14 - The body of Edward FOUNDATION, a longshoreman, who was missed form the Captain Weber a week and a half ago, en route to San Francisco, was found yesterday in Whisky Slough. The body was removed to the Morgue, where it was identified by the father and brothers of the deceased. They say that the man was drunk and fell overboard.

No Cause Assigned For Lobbes' Rash Act
Recent Arrival From Wisconsin In Absence of Friends With Whom He Had Made His Home, Commits Suicide By Hanging - Had Money and Considerable Property Interests
Richard LOBBES, a native of Germany, aged 69 years, committed suicide some time last Saturday afternoon at the home of a family named SPEICH, with whom he resided at 1716 G Street.
No cause has yet been assigned for the old man's rash act, as he was in comfortable circumstances and in good health.
Lobbes came from Racine, Wisconsin, with the Speich family last August, having made his home with them for more than thirty years.
Soon after arriving here, Lobbes bought the property at 1716 G Street and deeded it to his friend Speich.
Saturday afternoon Mr. and Mrs. Speich left the house shortly after the midday meal to visit a physician. They later visited their nephew, returning to the house about 5 o'clock. They had left Lobbes lying on a sofa, taking his usual nap, but when they returned he was gone. His coat was in the room, and they at once made a search for him.
They were told by a neighbor that Lobbes had been seen going into the basement in his shirt sleeves, and Mr. and Mrs. Speich hurriedly went there. They found Lobbes hanging suspended from one of the braces to the floor above, and life was extinct. He had committed suicide by strangling himself with a heavy cord which he fastened to the floor brace and making a noose at the other end.
Coroner GORMLEY was notified and took charge of the remains. Lobbes had $200 in cash on his person when found, and a pass book on a local bank showed he had $2900 on deposit there. In addition to this, Lobbes is known to have considerable property in Racine.
In one of the pockets of the suicide's clothing was found a letter from a sister in Germany, in which advice was given for the treatment of an injured leg from which he had once suffered, but which was said to have caused him no distress of late.
The suicide's relatives in Germany have been communicated with, but thus far they have not been heard from.

The Loyal Temperance Legion gave an entertainment at Florin Church last evening before a large audience. Quite a liberal offering was given for the benefit of the work.
The children received much praise for their interesting program. "We'll Help the Cause Along" was sung by the choir. Mrs. DAVIS led in prayer. "Columbia's Call" was an exercise by all the members of the L.T.L. Miss Nellie TOOTELL, in costume, and holding a large American flag, represented "Columbia." Several messengers responded to her questions giving the state of affairs in the camp of King Alcohol.
The Army call was sounded on the cornet by Miss Margie LAMBERT and the Legion, singing and bearing flags and banners, marched to the platform, where songs, recitations and concert responses were given.
This was followed by a recitation by Miss Priscilla VANE. "Smiles," recitation by Ruby FINCH; "Nellie's Victory," recitation by Julia TOLBERT; "God Is Love," duet, Mrs. COX and daughter; "A Talk on L.T.L. Work," Miss FINCH; remarks by Mr. FRENCH; a closing request, Rec. Edith FRENCH; Coronation, sung by audience.

Orin CLOUGH, a young man of oak Park, has been locked in the county jail upon suspicion of knowing some of the facts connected with the robbery of the candy booth in the Park a couple of weeks ago. His mother declares young Clough was at home at the time the robbery is said to have been committed and was not concerned in it in any way.
Robert BERRY and "Pal" DEFORE were also questioned about the robbery by District Attorney SEYMOUR and Constable J.G. SNOOK, but were released. A young man called "Slim" is said to know something about the affair, but he can not be found.
Young Clough has not yet been charged, being held for further examination into the case.

Only A Few Details Still Unsettled
Engineer States the Historic Old Eyesore Will Be Seen No More in Three Months After He Has Started the Work - Tella of His Plan
Another Step has been taken in the project to fill China Slough. William MUIR, a well-known mining engineer and contractor, is here to-day with a letter from the Engineering Department of the Southern Pacific Railroad Company, addressed to Superintendent T.R. JONES, in which it is stated that the contract has been given to him to fill the slough. At the request of the Chief Engineer some surveyors connected with the local railroad force were out to-day running levels for the benefit of Mr. Muir.
"As you will see by the letter," said Mr. Muir, "the contract has practically been given to me, but the papers have not been signed yet, for the reason that there are some little details which have not been completed.
"The details I refer to are to the effect that before the contract is signed I want to make arrangements with three property owners and have it understood that when the work of filling the slough is going on I will not be held responsible for damages from sipage water which may flow into basements and drive out tenants. The property in question is owned by Louis CAFFERO, the GREGORY estate and the TATE estate. The managers of the two latter, especially of the Tate estate, say there sill be no trouble."
Louis Caffero said this afternoon that he was willing to stand a certain amount of damage, but it must not be too heavy.
Under the Muir plans he would force mud and sand through the pipes from the Sacramento River into China Slough. The contract calls for about 600,000 cubic yards of earth, and would include the filling of the alfalfa field near the passenger depot as well as the slough. There would have to be a seven-foot fill in the field.
"If it were not for the trouble about those three pieces of property," said Mr. Muir, "I would begin work immediately. When that trouble is settled, if it can be in a satisfactory manner, I will give a bond of $25,000 and go to work at once, and the slough will be filled within three months after work is commenced. The material for filling the mud and same will be handled by two powerful pumps, one on the river bank and the other in the alfalfa field."

Tiny Waif Of Humanity Left At 107 I Street
Was Abandoned Early This Morning - No Note Found Attached to Clothing as Is Usually the Case - Officers Hope to Solve Mystery
A tiny waif of humanity was left on the doorstep of 707 I Street shortly after 1 o'clock this morning, and the little one is now being cared for by Mrs. Frederick KENNEDY, who in the few brief hours in which she has had charge of it has learned to love it so that in its misfortune she is anxious to adopt it and give it a mother's care.
The waif is a male child apparently about two weeks old.
Officer Harry BUTLER of the police force and County Detective Philip O'NEIL are working on the case, and expect to establish something definite as to the little one's parentage.
Some of the lodgers in the house at 707 I Street claim to have heard stealthy footsteps on the steps and porch to the house at the hour named, and a few minutes later the lusty wail of an infant heard. Investigation made a few minutes after revealed a tiny baby boy packed in a wicker basket, on the porch. The unfortunate had been placed there evidently in the hope of attracting the attention of the inmates of the house, and the lusty lungs of the little fellow brought about the desired result.
There was no note to, or request of, those who might find the little fellow to care for him, such as ordinarily accompany abandoned ones.
The babe was dressed in very neat, but plain and cheap clothes, upon which there was nothing to serve as a possible mark of identification.
When a Bee reporter called at 707 I Street to-day to make inquiry about the unfortunate, he was given no information beyond the fact that an abandoned child had been left there early this morning.
The Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Children was at once notified, and Special Officer Daniel HEALY joined with Butler and O'Neil in the investigation of the case.

Thus Declares His Honor, The City Judge
A Man Who Complained of Being Robbed, Being Too Drunk to Know What He Lost, Nothing the Loser Is - Minor Cases
In summing up the testimony in the case of Frank LEONARD, who was tried this morning on a charge of attempting to commit grand larceny, Justice MARCH held that the testimony was too weak to warrant Leonard's being held for trial. The testimony of the defense was that Leonard had merely attempted to awaken the man, WEYTHMAN, and in so doing the latter's hand came out of his pocket and brought the money with it, the money falling on the floor.
At the time Leonard went over to Weythman he made the remark that he would wake Weythman up and have a drink.
Officers KOENING, SCANLON and DESMOND arrested Barney McCAFFREY, Pat ROONAN, Charles WILSON and Mike WALLS on suspicion of having robbed John LYNCH of about $29, but all were discharged as Lynch was too drunk at the time to know he was being robbed, and stated in Court that he was willing to give the men anything he had.
Larry TEDDY, who pleased guilty to a charge of petty larceny for stealing some goods from a tailoring establishment where he was employed, was leniently dealt with, as it was his first offense. He was fined $30 with the alternative of spending thirty days in jail.
The case of Joseph PAYNE, charged with insulting Officer SCANLON, was continued until Wednesday afternoon.
Ah SAM was discharged from custody as no evidence to convict him on a charge of vagrancy was at hand.
Mrs. F.E. SPURGEON swore to a complaint charging J.M. SPENCER with disturbing the peace. Spencer is an employe of an art Company and refused to giver her a frame for $1 which another member of the firm had said she could get a frame for.
Spencer was ordered to turn the frame and picture over to Mrs. Spurgeon for $1, and was ordered to be discharged when he did so. Justice MARCH characterized the art scheme as a bunco game.

Bedding in the home of L.W. PETERSON, at 1923 Eighteenth Street, in some mysterious manner caught on fire shortly after 11 o'clock this morning. The people were away from home at the time.
Neighbors telephoned to Station No. 3, on Nineteenth Street. The fire company responded promptly, broke in a door and threw the burning bed into the street. The damage was about $50.

PIERCE - In Los Angeles, October 1, 1904, to the wife of F.E. Pierce, a daughter.

HIGGINS - In this city, November 13, 1904, William Higgins, son of Patrick J. and Mary Higgins, brother of Thomas and Alice Higgins, a native of Pennsylvania, aged 18 years, 8 months and 7 days. Friends and acquaintances are respectfully invited to attend the funeral to-morrow (Tuesday) at 2 o'clock form the mortuary parlors of W.F. Gormley, 914 Eighth Street, thence to the Cathedral, where funeral services will be held, commencing at 2:30 o'clock. Interment City Cemetery.

NEUBAUER - In this city, November 13, 1904, George Neubauer, a native of Germany, aged 72 years. Funeral private.

SILBER - In this city, November 14, 1904, Magdalena Lois, wife of Ernest P. SILBER, mother of Frank, Lena, Charles, Louisa and Rosa Silber, daughter of Mrs. Mary Leis, grand-daughter of Mrs. Magdalena HAEBERLE, a native of Germany, aged 37 years, 3 months and 7 days. Funeral notice hereafter.

SILBER - In this city, November 13, 1904, infant son of Ernest and Magdalena Silber (Stillborn).

WILSON - In this city, November 12, 1904, Joseph Wilson, brother of the late M. Wilson, a native of Poland, Russia, aged 77 years. Friends and acquaintances are respectfully invited to attend the funeral to-morrow (Tuesday) at 2:30 o'clock from I.O.O.F. Hall, under the auspices of Eureka Lodge, No. 4, I.O.O.F. Interment Jewish Cemetery.

Submitted: 03/19/05

Tags: (Please limit tags to surnames found within the article above)

Views: 495 views. Averaging 0 views per day.
In the most recent 30 day period, there've been 20 views.

Items (articles, comments, etc.) placed on the Newspaper Abstracts website and associated mail lists remain the property of the contributor. By submitting any item to this site, the contributor has granted permission to the Newspaper Abstracts website and associated mail lists to permanently display and archive the item(s) online for free access to the site visitor.