The Cairo Bulletin
The Cairo Bulletin
Contributed by Gigimo

Description: Death of Nick SMITH. Sad Sequel to the Mound City Elopement.

Date: July 27 1878

Newspaper published in: Cairo, Illinois

The readers of The Bulletin will remember the recount given a few weeks since in our columns of the elopement of a young man named MCBRIDE with the daughter of Mr. Nick SMITH, of Mound City. We stated at the time that the eloping pair were arrested at Chester, in this state, upon a telegram sent from this city, and that the father had started for that point to bring his his daughter home. It appears that upon his arrival at Chester he found that his daughter had been married, and seeing the uselessness of any further opposition, he became reconciled to the situation, and MCBRIDE and his wife were permitted to depart in peace for St. Louis. It was supposed at the time that SMITH returned home, but subsequent events prove the supposition to be incorrect. The Chester Tribune of the 24th inst., in speaking of the matter says that Nick SMITH arrived there on Friday evening, July 12th. He was under the influence of liquor, and being subject to apoplectic fits or something similar, and much excited over his daughter's runaway, had an unusually severe shake that night. Next morning he came on the hill, in company with his new-made son in law, to consult an attorney about prosecuting the officers for permitting his daughter to escape and marry. He was advised from this course. His son in law left him and returned to the hotel, and on arrival of the boat, departed for St. Louis. SMITH lingered around the courthouse for a while, and then went to the upper part of town. He complained of feeling unwell. It is believed he was still drinking. He inquired the way to the penitentiary. Being out of money, he wanted to see Deputy Warden Alex. IRVIN, with whom he was acquainted, to borrow a sufficient amount to return home. Nothing more was seen of him. On Tuesday morning following a man, in an advanced state of decomposition, was found midway between the city and the penitentiary. He was lying under a tree, on the hillside, at full length, and must have been there two of three days. From the description we have of the body, and of the subject of this sketch, that man was Nick SMITH. He was on his way to the penitentiary, and feeling unwell, had laid down and died. The remains were interred in Evergreen Cemetery. SMITH was a German by nativity, about forty-five years old, and at times was very intemperate in the use of liquor. When under its influence he was regarded as a dangerous man, and in a difficulty with a young man named DWYER at Mound City about five or six years ago he stabbed and killed him. For the crime he served out a term in the penitentiary. He owned and operated a saloon at the time of his death. The Tribune says that Mr. SMITH'S relatives have been apprised of the facts stated, and a description of the dead man sent them.

Submitted: 12/21/16

Tags: (Please limit tags to surnames found within the article above)

Views: 148 views. Averaging 0 views per day.
In the most recent 30 day period, there've been 0 views.

Items (articles, comments, etc.) placed on the Newspaper Abstracts website and associated mail lists remain the property of the contributor. By submitting any item to this site, the contributor has granted permission to the Newspaper Abstracts website and associated mail lists to permanently display and archive the item(s) online for free access to the site visitor.